Galileo 2.0

For all other scales including 1/72, 1/537, 1/650 and Studio.
Shaw
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Re: Galileo 2.0

Postby Shaw » Mon May 15, 2017 10:34 am

Hmmm... I must have deleted this reply when I added in the rest of the post earlier.

MSgtUSAFRet wrote:The decal look spot on. Did you use the same font for these as you did for the '64 AMT Enterprise- the one you developed from tracings of Matt Jefferies' font?

So it is the same in that it is all done as tracings rather than using a pre-existing font. The problem with attempting to match a font to the original decals is that they weren't using fonts, everything was hand drawn. The only way to retain all those unique errors was to trace everything.

I considered making a couple versions of fonts based on these tracings, but it quickly became a lot more work than I had time for.

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Fri May 19, 2017 1:29 pm

Shaw wrote:Hmmm... I must have deleted this reply when I added in the rest of the post earlier.

MSgtUSAFRet wrote:The decal look spot on. Did you use the same font for these as you did for the '64 AMT Enterprise- the one you developed from tracings of Matt Jefferies' font?

So it is the same in that it is all done as tracings rather than using a pre-existing font. The problem with attempting to match a font to the original decals is that they weren't using fonts, everything was hand drawn. The only way to retain all those unique errors was to trace everything.

I considered making a couple versions of fonts based on these tracings, but it quickly became a lot more work than I had time for.

Gotcha!

Your builds are always informative and intensive! I love it!

Keep going, Sir!

Steve

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby trekriffic » Fri May 19, 2017 3:49 pm

MSgtUSAFRet wrote:
Shaw wrote: The problem with attempting to match a font to the original decals is that they weren't using fonts, everything was hand drawn. .

Gotcha!

Your builds are always informative and intensive! I love it!

Keep going, Sir!

Steve

Ditto! Shaw's posts are a treat. You always learn something new.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

Shaw
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby Shaw » Sat May 20, 2017 1:52 am

Thanks guys!

I'm currently finishing up on the new decal sheet.

Shaw
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby Shaw » Tue May 23, 2017 9:22 am

Finished up work on molds for the parts that are going to be cast...

Shaw
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby Shaw » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:08 pm

Work on this project was slowed/complicated by health issues, but I have made some progress recently.

The original plan was to knock out three quick models. I had already used the masters to revise my templates and wasn't too concerned with these being perfect replicas. They looked like they'd come together into nice representations and they'd let me test the decal graphics.

I had parts for one nearly complete model, most of the parts for a second, and the beginning of the third model. The third model needs to be set aside (along with the larger model I'm working on) until I'm healthier (hopefully this September)

Given what I had this is what I was able to put together...

Click to enlarge

I finished the assembly of the Galileo and started back in on finishing the decals...

And I started in on most of the Columbus' decals while I finished making the final parts (the nacelle supports)...

This is the Galileo nearly finished...

Click to enlarge

After finishing the assembly and decal placement on the Columbus, here they are next to the original study model...

Click to enlarge

I still need to apply a clear coat after I'm sure the decals have fully set and make stands for them, but for the most part they're done.

The biggest change from the original templates was the trailing edge of the upper side panels (which are now more vertical). There are other smaller improvements, but that was the one flaw of the original study model that I really wanted to rectify before starting the large model work.

Tesral
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Postby Tesral » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:55 pm

Nice work all around. Good to see you back and hope your health is improving.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby trekriffic » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:16 pm

Sorry to hear about your health issues. Glad to see you back at this. Your work is so inspirational to all of us.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:43 pm

Good to have you back, Shaw! Hope you health is improving!

The models look fabulous! Very well done!

Steve

SKO
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby SKO » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:51 pm

This is outstanding stuff. You know it's funny...being raised a TNG/DS9/VOY era guy, I always thought the TOS style ships looked so dinky and flash Gordon toy rocketship-esque. The older I get the more I appreciate their place in the design lineage and the beauty of their simple, clean lines. This is a really sharp, nifty little ship.

Return to “Misc”