33 inch TOS Enterprise - Studio Scale Replica (Pic heavy)

For all other scales including 1/72, 1/537, 1/650 and Studio.
Tesral
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Re: 33 inch TOS Enterprise - Studio Scale Replica (Pic heavy

Postby Tesral » Thu Apr 30, 2015 3:14 am

Ah elegant bit of work there. It is reminding me how truly innovative the design was.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

Shaw
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby Shaw » Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:27 pm

Thanks!

It is amazing what they accomplished over the course of a few months back in 1964... including the building of the 11 foot model! :o

Update...

This is a test assembly with a test pull from the nacelle molds... mainly to see what was involved in making them.

Shaw
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby Shaw » Wed May 06, 2015 5:32 am

Small update...

I was experimenting with the nacelle body molds to see if I might like Alumilite White better than the TC 1630, and how little material I can get away with (the first nacelle body was about 8 oz). I made a second test nacelle using about 4 oz of Alumilite, but I like the TC 1630 better for this type of part (though I think I can get it down to around 4 oz of material on the final nacelles).

Even though I didn't want to waste any more time on the Alumilite nacelle, it is a second nacelle... which means I can take some more test assembly shots that can help me judge if I'm going in the right direction with this model (I had made additional changes to my plans after the second study model, so this is really my first chance to see them).

Here is how she looks (some images are flipped, I just wanted to see it from a different direction without handling the model too much)...

[center]Image[/center]

Over the last few days I've constructed the nacelle support pylons. They are actually pretty strong (stronger than I thought they'd be), and can support the weight of either test nacelle. Still, I'd like to get the weight of the final nacelle bodies down a bit more because there are a number of pieces which will eventually be added... adding weight to the nacelles. And even though most of them should be pretty light weight, the domes (which were finished a while ago) are solid and do have a bit of weight to them.

I took another series of test assembly shots, this time with a stand-in for the front of the secondary hull and placement of a test printing of the primary hull decals. I've done a little more work on both the secondary hull and dorsal, but nothing that is note worthy in these images...

[center]Image[/center]

It is still pretty rough, but right now I'm mainly happy that all the major elements at least play nicely with each other.

Tesral
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Postby Tesral » Wed May 06, 2015 7:36 pm

Have you considered adding a core to the middle of the nacelle mold to leave it mostly hollow?

Shaw
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby Shaw » Wed May 06, 2015 8:37 pm

Actually, pretty much all my parts are hollow... I only solid cast if the part is really small. So right now the primary hull, bridge/B/C deck structure, secondary hull and both test nacelles are all hollow.

This is one of my test nacelles...

The same goes for my past models too... the nacelles on my Phase II Enterprise are hollow (as is the rest of the model), and those are much smaller than these nacelles.

I also used the same process with my one-sixth studio scale TOS Enterprise based on my plans of the 11 foot model. This is what the primary hull parts of that model looked like on the inside...

and this is what they looked like assembled...

I know that a lot of garage kit makers just pour material into molds until full, then send the parts out solid from there to people, but I don't believe in fully solid parts for larger elements. Specially on something like the Enterprise, the weight to strength ratio for solid parts is awful. Most materials' strength comes from the surface rather than internal, hollow parts increase the surface area and greatly reduce the weight. Its a win-win situation... if you are willing to take a little extra time and care while making the parts.

But yeah, if I had cast my nacelles up solid, they'd weigh a few pounds each rather than a few ounces. Worse, I'd be out of material by now if I was solid casting... and this stuff is expensive. This is the same reason I don't attempt solid silicon rubber molds over large parts... it's expensive to do it that way, and other materials for mother molds for a thin silicon rubber mold is a far cheaper alternative.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Wed May 06, 2015 9:46 pm

All your parts are hollow? :o Then I've completely misunderstood your process. So how do you pour your casting material so that the parts are hollow?
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Shaw
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby Shaw » Wed May 06, 2015 10:21 pm

In the case of the TC-1630, I get about a 10 minute window of work time, so I spread a thin layer over the surface of the mold... making sure to brush it up towards the edges and the higher points. Pretty soon it starts to thicken, and when it stops easily flowing, I let it sit for a couple minutes. I then press in pre-cut sheets of fiberglass cloth, making sure it conforms to the interior contours (it has some give, and you can pre trim it to lay pretty flat against the mold's surface). I then mix up a second batch of TC-1630 and brush it over the fiberglass... making sure it gets absorbed into the material before it starts to set up. Once I get a good covering, I start brushing it up towards the edges like before.

The parts can be removed from the mold pretty quickly... though I usually give it a few hours. After six to eight hours it is pretty hard, after 24 hours it is rock solid (pretty much no-give)... which is why it works so nicely for these larger parts while letting the parts stay pretty thin.

The irregular surface on the interior of the nacelle is from the brushing up process. Irregular surfaces are actually stronger (more rigid) than smooth ones, so it acts sorta like a structural re-enforcement.

The TC-1630 actually cuts pretty nicely too... this is why I wasn't too worried about leaving off key details on the secondary hull master so I could get away with a single master and mold to make both sides. Knowing what I was going to be working with ahead of time is why I knew I only needed one secondary hull half, one outboard nacelle body half and one inboard nacelle body half to build the secondary hull and nacelles.

Shaw
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby Shaw » Thu May 14, 2015 9:14 am

I've been working on a number of different parts of the model recently, mostly the deflector assembly, casting parts for the nacelles and making sure I'm happy with the dorsal and nacelle support pylons. I've also been working on the decals, so I've placed test printings of different decals on the model to compare what I have against photos of the original model.

This is a good example of some comparisons with the Viewmaster images of the original model...

[center]Image[/center]

Most of the work on the dorsal and nacelle support pylons has been making sure that the surfaces between where they connect to other parts are in good shape. It is easier to get them nice while they are still on their own. They still have quite a ways to go, but they are starting to look like they should.

[center]Image[/center]

I started in on the nacelle parts with the rear end caps. Those came out pretty nice and shouldn't require too much additional work. The main thing I needed from them is to stand in place while I adjust the nacelle body when I bring it together.

I did a quick test assembly to compare some of the decal elements. Oddly, while the original builders of the model took the "U.S.S. ENTERPRISE" straight off the decal sheet, the smaller "NCC-1701" decals have had their spacing adjusted when they were applied to the original model.

I realized after taking these shots of the deflector assembly parts that I had used the templates based on my original (2007) plans and not the updated ones... so the second of the three inner rings is too wide.

[center]Image[/center]

This is another couple shots of the deflector assembly with the start of a new second ring and the deflector dish master in place.

[center]Image[/center]

With a few more of the nacelle parts cast, I took another series of shots of the model assembled to see how things are coming together.

[center]Image[/center]

One of the things I noticed about the secondary hull pennant on the original model is that the rear slopes downward (on both sides) compared to the center line of the secondary hull and the windows. I'll have to figure out how to replicate that without taking it too far as to be noticeable (which on the original it is hard to spot).

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Postby Moongrim » Thu May 14, 2015 1:35 pm

The Devil is in the Details.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

Tesral
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Postby Tesral » Thu May 14, 2015 11:26 pm

And he jabs you with that fork.

This is really coming together.

Return to “Misc”