TOS Romulan BoP

For all other scales including 1/72, 1/537, 1/650 and Studio.
MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Re: TOS Romulan BoP

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:57 pm

After a disheartening mess with the decal splicing, I decided the only way I was going to get the bird anywhere near what I wanted was to paint it on; and that includes masks, mixing paint and then doing detail work of hand drawing the feathers. After that decision was made, I set to work on creating the mask for the warbird.

Since I had taken apart the pattern I had made to splice the decals, I had to make a new pattern. Here it is on the model for a dry fitting. I had to extend the wing to properly fit the starboard wing. So I copied it, cut it out and flipped it over to cover the port wing! I think it looks pretty good.

From that I laid down some painters tape on the cutting mat and traced the pattern on to the tape! Cut it out, making sure I had the general shape of the main body of the bird.

Then I carefully transferred the mask to the model.

Same steps to do the Port side wing.

I still have the tail and the head to do. Then the hard part of matching the color of the paint!

That's all for now. This was the best method I could think of to mask out the rest of the model from the bird.

KIRK: Why me? I look around that Bridge, and I see the men waiting for me to make the next move. And Bones, what if I'm wrong? ;D

Steve

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:02 pm

Greeting Fellow Modelers!!

I finally got the tail and the head masked off and I think I am ready to put the paint on!

Then I masked off the rest of the model against overspray. And put on two coats of my acrylic mixed paint.

I used a hairdryer between coats and after the final one. I was able to pull off the masking to see what it would look like. I think it looks pretty descent. It will require some clean up in spots, some refining and hand brush painting but it looks pretty good!

I went to the LHS and picked up a set of Micron pens of various widths, just in case I need to do some detail work, for drawing the "feathers" on.

I'm gonna let the bird dry overnight and then maybe hit it with another blast from the hairdryer. I still have to lay down another coat of deeper red or burnt orange for the tail feathers. Here again, it's two steps forward and one step back - I should have left the masking for the tail feathers on while I painted the deeper red. Aaaaggah! :roll: :lol: Anyway, I hope maybe to get the red tail feathers put on tomorrow after the paint sets.

Till Next time!

Steve
Last edited by MSgtUSAFRet on Sat Dec 31, 2016 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Savion
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby Savion » Sat Dec 31, 2016 1:54 am

WOW! Incredible work!

With all the work you put into the model itself, you just can't let the decal issues defeat you!

Keep up the great work!

Tesral
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Postby Tesral » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:16 am

Wow, just wow, painting the whole thing.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:25 pm

Thanks Savion and Tesral!! I appreciate the support and sentiments!

As you read, I just couldn't get the decals to work for me. I have since stripped the decals from the dorsal and have laid down the primary color for the wings. I'll still have to go back and pretty it up and put on the black outlines.

In order to protect the bird on the ventral, I'm thinking of putting a clear coat on the ventral.

Thanks again for commenting!

Steve

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:22 pm

I am liking the look of the painting I have done so far!

Once the Bird's primary color was set and dry, I made a template for the red tail feathers. The hardest part was mixing the color to be close to the decal's colors. I had to have my artist wife help out; that and my eyes were getting color washed. I think we did pretty well.

After the red tail feathers dried, I was able to use the Aircraft grey to clean up the lines on the bird.

I eye-balled and hand drew the wing patterns onto the body and wings with a pencil. Then I went over them with the 5mm Mircon pen over the pencil.

The pen was good for most of the line drawings, but when I tried to fill in the wing tips, the orange color started to be scrapped off by the pen. So I grabbed a paint brush, some black acrylic paint and hand painted them in. I also used carbon paper to trace on the head feathers and feet and claws and then filled them in by hand. I don't mind telling you, it was really hard! ;D ;D

Here is the final result of today's work.

I still have the nacelles to paint and pretty up. But, so far, it looks really good and I'm happy with the results. I also have the dorsal side to do, but it should be considerably less difficult than the ventral.

I hope to post more soon! As always, thanks for looking and for your great comments.

Steve

andyh
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby andyh » Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:18 pm

Simply amazing! There is no way I could do that!

Andy

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Postby Moongrim » Wed Jan 04, 2017 2:21 pm

You have a far steadier hand with the paint brush than anything I could ever accomplish.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Wed Jan 04, 2017 3:59 pm

Thank you very much, andyh and moongrim! TBH, I am surprised it turned out as well as it did!

This is a small post - I finished the dorsal paints and clean up!

Since the paints were FINALLY on, I used Krystal Klear to seal up the windows.

Now to apply a clear coat or three to the ship. While that sets, I will finalize the display stand so I can mount the ship. I am hoping it all flows together well and I can make an entry in the Modelers Gallery!

Thanks for the support and comments! Thanks, as always, for looking!

Steve

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby trekriffic » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:54 pm

Excellent job painting the wings. I'd swear those were the decals. Your wife did an excellent job with the color matching. Give her a hug for me.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

Return to “Misc”