*another* another lighted Reliant

For all other scales including 1/72, 1/537, 1/650 and Studio.
toejrb
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

*another* another lighted Reliant

Post by toejrb »

I haven't built anything for a while, but was inspired by the other "another lighted Reliant" thread to crack into a new project. So here's the start. First up, light block the interior and start laying down some LEDs. You can't see it, but there is masking here for the Raytheon effect.
lower reliant hull interior
lower reliant hull interior
For the upper hull, I wanted the engraved lines in the horizontal window area overlooking the saucer. So I cut out the kit plastic, and drilled windows into some grooved styrene sheets. Cut to size, I'll place the new bits over the big holes. The kit plastic I removed was *thick*, so as an added bonus I won't have to deal with thinning that out. Despite the fact that I was working with flat plastic in a drill press, the oblong windows *still* aren't right. Grr. Have to see what I can do with masks, I guess.
reliant upper hull with cut-outs
reliant upper hull with cut-outs
image_4.jpeg (92.36 KiB) Viewed 3732 times
reliant window inserts on upper hull
reliant window inserts on upper hull
image_3.jpeg (102.42 KiB) Viewed 3732 times
You can also see some strip styrene I ran around the edge of the b/c deck. The detail there was really soft, and I wanted to sharpen it.

Turning to the nacelles, I put in holes for the spots on the inboard upper side of both nacelle fronts. I also bulked up the RCS pylons with sheet strip. The molded part was soft where it should have been sharp, way undersized, tapered in thickness from inboard to outboard where it should have been constant thickness, and not square on the corners. Fixed, now.
reliant nacelle RCS pylon 1
reliant nacelle RCS pylon 1
image_1.jpeg (69.9 KiB) Viewed 3732 times
reliant nacelle RCS pylon 2
reliant nacelle RCS pylon 2
image_5.jpeg (88.76 KiB) Viewed 3732 times
Last thing for now is opening up the top of the roll bar and dropping in some grooved sheet styrene into the resultant hole. For now the new part is loose. Eventually, I'll glue it down and sharpen the edges of the trough with sheet strip.
roll bar texture
roll bar texture
image.jpeg (102.12 KiB) Viewed 3732 times

Next I'm going to work put the Paragraphix photo etch on the dorsal and the fantail. Probably won't get to that 'til next weekend tho.
MEATLOAFr
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Re: *another* another lighted Reliant

Post by MEATLOAFr »

can never be to many reliants
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!
Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
ABLE TO PRINT DECALS IN WHITE
NOW ABLE TO 3D PRINT SMALL SCALE MODELS (ANYCUBIC PHOTON & MONO X) have STL, will print!!
toejrb

Post by toejrb »

MEATLOAFr wrote:can never be to many reliants
Ha! Might name it something else. It's not going to be studio-accurate anyway.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

Good job so far!

:)
Thanks,

Yan.
MEATLOAFr
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by MEATLOAFr »

toejrb wrote:
ALL THE BETTER!!!
:blondebanana:
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!
Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
ABLE TO PRINT DECALS IN WHITE
NOW ABLE TO 3D PRINT SMALL SCALE MODELS (ANYCUBIC PHOTON & MONO X) have STL, will print!!
toejrb

More progress on *another* another lighted Reliant

Post by toejrb »

Spent some time on the Reliant this weekend. Etch is now in place on the fantail.
Reliant fantail 1
Reliant fantail 1
Reliant fantail 2
Reliant fantail 2
The LED strips are now in place in the nacelles.
inside of nacelle
inside of nacelle
Here's a lighting test of the Raytheon effect for the nacelle's aft outboard penant.
lit nacelle test
lit nacelle test
image.jpeg (95.34 KiB) Viewed 3660 times
Not shown is the light test for the fore inboard spots. The bleed around the front grille is awful. This stems from the poor fit of the kit part, and I'm not sure what to do about it. I may need to go with individual LEDs for the spots, which is a nuisance.

I've been playing with the bridge some. Here's the kit part in place on the hull.
Relaint kit bridge
Relaint kit bridge
image_3.jpeg (99.93 KiB) Viewed 3660 times
The kit part suffers from soft detail, and a generally toyish look. I'm tempted to bag it in favor of a Constitution class part from DLM that I have handy. Like I said earlier, screen accuracy isn't the goal here. But we'll see.
toejrb

Post by toejrb »

ALL THE BETTER!!!
:blondebanana:[/quote]

Indeed. "https://www.imdb.com/character/ch0001501/quotes,So much the better!"
toejrb

Reliant questions for the cognoscenti

Post by toejrb »

Here's a cropped picture of the Reliant studio model from the Christie's auction.
cropped saratoga pic
cropped saratoga pic
Full pic is at: https://www.mutara.net/Christies/models/ ... %20top.JPG

Questions for the group:
  1. There are dots atop the B deck. It looks like the one on the centerline is larger than the others, and is lit.Is that right?
  2. What are the other dots? Lights? Unlit through-hull openings? Markings? Are they proud of the surface, or flush?
  3. What's the little greeble on each of the tubular things that project out of the dorsal (I have no idea what they're called)? Looks like it was maybe a 1/35 tank suspension part? It's utterly missing from the kit.
Any thoughts appreciated. Thx!
MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by MSgtUSAFRet »

toejrb wrote:
Just a thought, but in the picture you showed from the Christie's auction house the model is labeled the USS Saratoga. It was featured in Star Trek IV and is also a Miranda-class starship. So it would still be screen accurate, canon and you could still use any shot from WoK as reference.

But, another USS Reliant is never a bad thing! You are doing great on the build and are really making great use of resources ("...a Constitution class part from DLM that I have handy.") to make this an exciting build!

Looking forward to seeing what you're gonna do with this build!

LLAP!

Steve
andyh
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: Reliant questions for the cognoscenti

Post by andyh »

toejrb wrote:

Questions for the group:
  1. There are dots atop the B deck. It looks like the one on the centerline is larger than the others, and is lit.Is that right?
  2. What are the other dots? Lights? Unlit through-hull openings? Markings? Are they proud of the surface, or flush?
  3. What's the little greeble on each of the tubular things that project out of the dorsal (I have no idea what they're called)? Looks like it was maybe a 1/35 tank suspension part? It's utterly missing from the kit.
Any thoughts appreciated. Thx!
1. The centre one is indeed bigger and lit yes.

2. No idea what they are. I "think" they are proud, but I did mine slightly lower than flush. Also, some people make them round and others consider them as little squares (I'm not sure which is correct).

3. Yes, this is missing from the kit, that's why I'm just about to release replacement parts.

Return to “Misc”