TOS Enterprise 1/650 One Shot Gallery

For all other scales including 1/72, 1/537, 1/650 and Studio.
MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

TOS Enterprise 1/650 One Shot Gallery

Post by MSgtUSAFRet »

Not really sure where to put this, but, I was thinking it would be cool to see everyone's take on a fan favorite ship since it is the 50th Anniversary year of Star Trek:TOS. So here goes!

1. If you have built a 1/650 scale TOS Enterprise post one shot (your favorite) here on this thread.
2. Revell's 1/500 is acceptable
3. This is just to see the various interpretations of the ship.
4. Please keep the scale. If this kicks off, maybe we can start a thread of all the 1/350 TOS E's and the 1/1000 TOS E's as well.
5. Tell us a little bit about the build and why you wanted to build "this" one.

Okay, I’ll start.

Okay, so there is a story to tell about THIS particular model of the Enterprise that I am building. My daughter knows I am a Star Trek nut so she bought me this model so I could build it. What she didn't know, maybe, is that I have been looking for this model for 30 years! Every time I would go into Hobby stores, I would look for this model to no avail. Searching online yielded over-priced knockoffs. This one she found for $8! When she sent it home with my son and his wife after their visit, I was overjoyed and nervous at the same time. I went on a model building studying spree because I wanted to do this right and because of this awesome gift from my daughter!

I tried to make it as accurate as I could with no Aftermarket parts! It's my first and best TOS E build to date!

I can’t wait to see what you guys, Master builders that you are, have done with this kit!

LLAP!

Steve
Shaw
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Re: TOS Enterprise 1/650 One Shot Gallery

Post by Shaw »

Cool!

Okay, this is my practice build of the USS Republic that I did back in 2011/2012 using the 2008 Round 2 re-issue of the kit. Here is one of my favorite shots...

Click to enlarge

Here are some additional shots (here, here, here, and here) and with my AMT Klingon model (here and here). And some more shots in this gallery and a run down on the build here.

The main idea behind this build was to see what I could do with the model kit while trying to stick to the original (if modified) parts. I hadn't built one of these kits since the early 1990s, but I had a ton of ideas about what might look cool after watching tons of other people's builds during the intervening years.
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

This is my build of the TOS Enterprise from 2006. This model really got me into the habit of making modifications to accurize my models. Before this build I pretty much was a straight from the box builder. The model is fully lit with flashing nav lights and a scratch built lit shuttle bay complete with a miniature Galileo shuttle. The nacelle bussards even spin thru the use of model railroad motors. The model was weathered to match the look of the 1981 Ed Miareki restoration for the Smithsonian so, yes, it was a little over the top in that regard.
Still, she looks great for what she was intended to be. So many firsts with this model...

TheArtofStarTrek-ShuttleLaunching.jpg
TheArtofStarTrek-ShuttleLaunching.jpg (86.56 KiB) Viewed 3335 times
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/
MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by MSgtUSAFRet »

Shaw wrote:Cool!

Here are some additional shots (here, here, here, and here) and with my AMT Klingon model (here and here). And some more shots in this gallery and a run down on the build here.
Shaw,

I see what you did there! :roll: :lol:

It is true that I didn't say you couldn't add links! :lol: How Insidious! I like that! It reminds me of me! :lol: :D :lol:

I have lost count of how many times I have gone through your photos, build logs and reference material! Your decals for the 1964 AMT Enterprise were a god-send and made my 1974 Restoration looks superb, IHMO! Outstanding job on the Republic! Thanks for showing it again!
trekriffic wrote:This is my build of the TOS Enterprise from 2006. This model really got me into the habit of making modifications to accurize my models. Before this build I pretty much was a straight from the box builder. The model is fully lit with flashing nav lights and a scratch built lit shuttle bay complete with a miniature Galileo shuttle. The nacelle bussards even spin thru the use of model railroad motors.
Steve, as always, I have to pick my jaw up off the floor when I see your work! On the off chance, do you have a build log of this somewhere? I would love to see what you did and how you did it!
trekriffic wrote: The model was weathered to match the look of the 1981 Ed Miareki restoration for the Smithsonian so, yes, it was a little over the top in that regard.
Fascinating! I wondered if anyone had tried to duplicate Ed Miareki's work. I know the paint scheme was controversial when the Production model premiered, but the body of Ed's work for this and other Star Trek model restorations is truly overwhelming and inspiring!

Thanks, Gents, for sharing your work again! I would love to see what others have done to this best selling model!

LLAP!

Steve
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

MSgtUSAFRet wrote: On the off chance, do you have a build log of this somewhere? I would love to see what you did and how you did it!
Steve
I'm afraid not. This model was built before I started doing build logs. All I have are is a pic of the motor assembly showing the RR motor and gears I scavenged from a Tootsie Pop Spinner toy:
Warp Engine.jpeg
Warp Engine.jpeg (36.69 KiB) Viewed 3312 times
Warp Engine Glow.jpeg
Warp Engine Glow.jpeg (7.9 KiB) Viewed 3312 times
The bussards each have 6 yellow LEDs- 3 flashing and 3 non-flashing. The bussard domes are made of transparent red resin giving them an orange glow when lit up. When lit the flashing LEDs flash at different times so you get sort of a swirling, pulsating effect.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/
andyh
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by andyh »

This is my 100% modified and/or scratch built 1/650 Pilot version Enterprise. Not one part on this is OOB. Many of the parts went on to become the "Accurate Parts" line of products sold via Federation models.

Andy
MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by MSgtUSAFRet »

This is an outstanding build, Andy! Nice job on making the mold for Federation models! This is truly an outstanding build!

Do you have a build thread here or someplace to see how you did it? How did you get the profile edge on the saucer?

Again, outstanding build and thanks for sharing!

Steve
andyh
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by andyh »

Thanks Steve:) I built this so long ago I didn't do any photos of my builds back then!

The story with the saucer. Many years ago Thomas (from Thomas models) and I had a good relationship (which unfortunately soured, but I won't go into that). He shared a lot of information with me, and on top of a lot of other research and input from other people, we came up with my masters.

In short, the secondary hull is longer than the AMT kit, and the nacelles are shorter. This was the best interpretation I could come up with at the time, but proportionally, it's very close to the 1/100O kit that Thomas did for Polar Lights (as it was basically the same research).

Andy
MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by MSgtUSAFRet »

andyh wrote:Thanks Steve:)
The story with the saucer. Many years ago Thomas (from Thomas models) and I had a good relationship (which unfortunately soured, but I won't go into that). He shared a lot of information with me, and on top of a lot of other research and input from other people, we came up with my masters.
Apologies for the sour memories, Andy. It's tough when people share a passion but see it from two different perspectives. I've had that happen, too; not about modeling but another hobby.

Thanks again,

Steve

Return to “Misc”