Some of my old 1/537 Scale Models *PIC HEAVY*

For all other scales including 1/72, 1/537, 1/650 and Studio.
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: Some of my old 1/537 Scale Models

Post by Griffworks »

The next up is one of my least favorite 'bashes from back in the day. It's the Truman-class heavy cruiser. I outline my thinking on how I came to the design below in the original write up. I kinda want to take a crack at this design in 1/1000, as I think I'd do it a bit differently.

I did this page based off the write ups done in one of my favorite works - Ships of the StarFleet, Volume One. The style of that particular book, and other works from the same publisher, are a part of why kitbashing has stayed with me as it has. While the Star Fleet Technical Manual is what started me off on kitbashing, SotSF has kept it going at a more accelerated rate. So, I took a cue from SotSF for several of my own model entries, embellishing beyond the pictures and expanding upon my background thoughts while building the models.

Anyhow, on to pics and the original page entry.

Truman page on the Wayback Machine
truman1a.jpg
truman1a.jpg (26.81 KiB) Viewed 1727 times
truman04.jpg
truman04.jpg (37.15 KiB) Viewed 1727 times
truman05.jpg
truman05.jpg (29.93 KiB) Viewed 1727 times
Aft port quarter view of the Truman, showing the photorp section and secondary hull.
This is the U.S.S. Truman, NCC-7001, a heavy cruiser, lead ship in her class. This model is an original design based loosely on the Nebula-class seen in early NG and in various DS9 and VOY episodes. With the exception of the bridge she is kitbashed using an Ent-A kit w/"scratchbuilt" underside details - done badly using sheet styrene - and modified connecting dorsal. The bridge is the Abbe refit from the late and lamented "Star Fleet Alternatives" line, formerly sold by Thomas Sasser of Thomas Models.

The model took a tumble a few years ago - with the help of one of our cats! - and is in dire need of being reassembled and repainted/decaled. I plan to do some major re-working of the model, as I feel it needs an "upgrade" and will likely do so by placing sheet stock all the way around the inner concavity of the lower primary hull, make it a flat surface.

History for the Truman Class Heavy Cruiser

HULL NAME BUILT/REFIT BY
NCC-7001 TRUMAN GriffWorks Unltd, Kansas City Shipyards, Earth
NCC-7002 EISENHOWER GriffWorks Unltd, Kansas City Shipyards, Earth
NCC-7003 MacARTHUR Star Fleet Division, San Francisco Yards, Earth
NCC-7004 KENNEDY GriffWorks Unltd, Kansas City Shipyards, Earth
NCC-7005 PATTON Cosmadyne Corporation, Boston Shipyards, Earth
NCC-7006 ROOSEVELT Newport News Shipbldg, Louisiana, Earth
NCC-7007 SCHWARZKOPF Newport News Shipbldg, Virginia, Earth
NCC-7008 LINCOLN Cosmadyne Corporation, Boston Shipyards, Earth
NCC-7009 PERRY Newport News Shipbldg, Louisiana, Earth
NCC-7010 THOMAS GriffWorks Unltd, Kansas City Shipyards, Earth
NCC-7011 NIMITZ Cosmadyne Corporation, Boston Shipyards, Earth
NCC-7012 SHERMAN Newport News Shipbldg, Virginia, Earth
NCC-7013 PERSHING Star Fleet Division, San Francisco Yards, Earth
NCC-7014 HALSEY Cosmadyne Corporation, Boston Shipyards, Earth
NCC-7015 SHERIDEN Star Fleet Division, San Francisco Yards, Earth
NCC-7016 POWELL Newport News Shipbldg, Virginia, Earth
NCC-7017 TUTTLE GriffWorks Unltd, Kansas City Shipyards, Earth
NCC-7018 DOOLITTLE Star Fleet Division, San Francisco Yards, Earth
NCC-7019 GRANT Star Fleet Division, San Francisco Yards, Earth
NCC-7020 HARRIS Cosmadyne Corporation, Boston Shipyards, Earth

These ships are named after military leaders from the history of the United States of America.

CLASS: The ships of this class were ordered as heavy cruisers. Like the Constitution and similar heavy cruisers, they were designed with the dual role of defense and to lead research task forces for brief forays into unexplored regions of space adjacent to the Federation.

The Tuttle (CH7017) was listed as missing near the Cardassian border in 2296, while searching for the Patrick (DT 2683), which had sent a distress signal one week earlier. A thorough investigation by the heavy cruiser Potemkin (CH 1711) turned up no sign on the Federation side of the border, though the Patrick’s and Tuttle’s warp trail did appear to cross in to Cardassian space. A request to search along the border region by the CO of the Potemkin was denied by the Cardassian government. The Patrick and Tuttle were both officially listed as missing with all hands in October of that same year. A number of vessels have reported receiving indecipherable transmissions from the Patrick, though no sensor contact has been made, nor were the vessels able to discern the origin of the transmissions. Star Fleet Intelligence is investigating.

CLASSIFICATION: The 20 ships of this class were ordered on 24 November 2270 as heavy cruisers.

DESIGN: This class was originally convceived as a more defensible version of the refit Constitution class heavy cruisers, sporting the lower profile and re-arranged phaser emplacements. Not unlike the Constitution class heavy cruisers, the Truman's were designed to operate independently or as a part of an exploration task force, able to operate on their own with out supporting vessels. They were also conceived as being able to fill the role of solitary patrol vessels.

Like many vessels that have been built in the latter quarter of the 23rd century, these vessels include the proven “Merlin” defensive configuration (which combines the force field/deflector capabilities and the cloaking/stasis system into a single unit). The low profile, combined with the addition of the aft firing photorp system, makes the Truman a formidable opponent to most enemy ships in terms of stand-up and close-in fighting capability.

ENGINEERING: StarFleet's newly formed Advanced Starship Design Bureau was tasked with developing a design that would meet and possibly exceed that of the aging Constitution design, as it was felt that it was entirely possible that the refit might not yield the hoped for results. The ASDB developed the plan for the Truman in record time, meeting the needs of both the Exploratory and Military Division's requirements for a new heavy cruiser. While the Truman class doesn't have quite the range of the refit Constitution class, they still pack almost all of the capabilities of that design into a slightly more compact hull, to include nearly all the same laboratory facilities.

Since this class of vessels is often called upon to perform a variety of missions, they've received the latest in stealth packages, making them as ideal as flagships in task force operations. The fact that they have such expansive hanger facilities as the Constitution while packing a bit more punch makes them desirable in potentially tense situations.

One of the least liked things about the Truman design is the split warp core dynamics. While the positioning of the warp nacelles has increased warp field effeciency, the placement of the two engineering sections has proven to be a bit of a headache with most engineering teams. These vessels require one third more engineering staff than other comparably sized vessels.

Due to the unique position of the forward firing photorp launch system, a number of the crew quarters were either removed or relocated to make room for storage. There are several quarters which were made smaller on deck six due to this. A positive aspect of this has been that a number of previously tested automates were integrated into the design of this class, reducing the number of crew members from 440 to 370.

WEAPONS: To keep the defensibilty of these vessels on a par with the Constitution-class heavy cruisers, StarFleet engineers moved the phaser emplacements to four dual positions on both the upper and lower primary hull. This gives a fairly effective firing arc, nearly 360 degrees in all directions, as well as allowing two dual phaser emplacements to fire directly forward, starboard, port or aft from the dorsal positions. However, the underside aft port and starboard placements give a restricted field of fire. StarFleet is considering relocating these emplacements to the secondary hull when the class is eventually brought in for systems upgrades in 2297 or 2298.

The forward firing photorp system is located on the underside of the primary hull, which necessitated relocation of crew quarters on decks four and five for storage of photorps, as well as the need for the relocation of shielded arming tunnels from the outboard engineering sections to relay anti-matter for the arming of the photorps. Yet another reason these vessels are unpopular with some crews.

Defensive and offensive capabilities have been enhanced with the addition of the aft firing photorp launch system. This makes the Truman class popular with commanders and crews that are tasked with patroling potentially hostile areas or operating far from Federation borders.

EMBARKED CRAFT: These ships normally carry three standard shuttlecraft, two dockport shuttlecraft, one "aqua" shuttle, four work bees and one or two inspection pods. A few have even been known to embark specialized support craft during covert operations.
Last edited by Griffworks on Tue May 29, 2018 4:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks »

Another of my favorite ships from The Olde Dayes is the USS Endeavour, NCC-1716. She was one of my first 'bashes using aftermarket resin parts, all of which were from Thomas Models (later PNT Models).

Wayback Machine page for Endeavour.
Endvr01.jpg
Endvr03a.JPG
Endvr03a.JPG (41.18 KiB) Viewed 1726 times
endvr04.jpg
endvr04.jpg (26 KiB) Viewed 1726 times
endvr05.jpg
endvr05.jpg (35.35 KiB) Viewed 1726 times
Pics from the Olde Dayes!
endvr06.JPG
Fairly recent taken after I was digging thru other boxes and decided to snap a few pics. Gotta love having a digital camera built into a phone! Not like the olde dayes when you had to make sure you had your batteries charged in your digicam or you were hosed....

As usual, pics can also be found on my Flickr account
This is the Endeavour, a modified Enterprise class (yes, I'm one of *those* folks who prefer to follow most of the "Non-Canon" sources!) starship. Originally, she was going to be the Potemkin, but I later decided to name her the Endeavour after a friend of mine from El Paso, Texas who's high school class was responsible for the naming of the NASA space shuttle of the same name.

True story!

Anyhow, the registry number for Endeavour comes from the original Star Fleet Technical Manual, as well as information from Ships of the Star Fleet, Volume One. However, in SotSF, Endeavour has a different set of warp nacelles and retains the TOS hull-style. I decided that she eventually received a full-refit, just like Enterprise.

For this kit, I used several resin pieces from Thomas Models': the "Abbe Refit" bridge with conference lounge, the B-C Deck with VIP Lounge, his split impulse engine, movie accurate lower sensor array (not seen in either of these shots), and two single mount phasers from his Phaser Banks sheets. In the above picture, you can *just* make out the table and chairs in the VIP lounge. Talk about detail!

Since these pics were taken, Endeavour took a fall from a shelf - twice! First time she was attacked by a cat and survived mostly intact, w/only minor cracking of the starboard pylon at the base. The second time, tho, was by the dreaded Wife-class battle-destroyer and both pylons were sheared off at the base. I've since made repairs by removing the neck and "blow out panels" for the upper secondary hull and replacing them w/brand new pieces/parts. I've also filled in all the window insert areas and sanded the saucer rim as best I can in anticipation of using JT Graphics window decals.

When I do the Potemkin, she will have all of these modifications, plus some heavily modified warp nacelles. I've even toyed with the idea of adding one set of "megaphasers" from the Reliant kit, but am pretty certain that won't really look right, so have given up on that idea.
As with the others, she'll eventually get a makeover.

Last edited by Griffworks on Tue May 29, 2018 4:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: Some of my old 1/537 Scale Models *PIC HEAVY*

Post by Griffworks »

Back again after a bit of an absence on this project of mine. This is my first true kitbash, the Kang-Class attack frigate.

Kang001.JPG
Kang001.JPG (27.3 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
Kang002.JPG
Kang002.JPG (42.32 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
Showing his original configuration.

Kang003.JPG
Kang003.JPG (25.98 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
Kang004.JPG
Kang004.JPG (14.81 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
“Pics” taken as direct scans of the model using a flatbed scanner.
RefitKang01a.JPG
RefitKang01a.JPG (14.14 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
RefitKang04a.JPG
RefitKang04a.JPG (17.91 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
RefitKang05a.JPG
RefitKang05a.JPG (23.29 KiB) Viewed 1724 times
His final configuration utilizing weapons pods for the 1/2500 Negh’var conversion kit. Note the lack of primer on the weapons pods.

The Wayback Machine page.
This is the Kang class attack frigate, named for the burly Klingon Commander from the episode "Day of the Dove"! I always liked Michael Ansara in that role, and was quite saddened to see Kang die in the DS9 episode "Blood Oath" ...

Anyhow, she was built using the main hull of the Vor'Cha class Klingon attack cruiser from TNG along with the forward command "pod", nacelles, and hanger deck piece from the ST:TMP/ST:VI Klingon cruiser. The triangular shaped piece that belonged on the top of the NG cruiser went directly underneath it's original position. I've been thinking of making another, as I have one spare kit of each.

I've placed the Kang class ships as having come out around the time of ST:VI. Hey, Kangs a great and honorable warrior, so it could happen! Plus, it's *my* universe we're talking about here! ;-)

I've now taken three more shots of this ship which now has battle weathering added and hope to have them developed and up sometime in the next two weeks...

This is a scan of the model itself. I chose to do this to show you the bridge area. I used the bridge piece off of the NG Attack Cruiser in place of the regular movie style bridge on the command pod. I simply cut the bridge off the movie style ship (VERY CAREFULLY!) and glued the other bridge in place, puttying where necessary. I think it looks much better than the bridge that goes there and lends itself well to the overall flow of the ship.
And a bonus couple of pics during a recent digging up, repair, and re-taking of pics.
NewKang001.JPG
NewKang002.JPG
Straight out of the storage container. This is no way to treat a warrior!
NewKang003.JPG
NewKang004.JPG
NewKang005.JPG
NewKang006.JPG
NewKang007.JPG
NewKang008.JPG
After repairs were made, he posed for some very warrior-like pics.
NewKang009.JPG
Currently, Kang resides on top of my office fridge. I'll contemplate what base color to go with, then eventually he will receive the new coat that he deserves!

More pics of models to come....
Last edited by Griffworks on Tue May 29, 2018 4:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

My Flickr Albums
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks »

Huh.... :|

Well, next up, is the USS Raan, NCC-2519, built using the Belknap-Class strike cruiser conversion kit from Federation Models. I never designed a regular page for this build, so don’t have any quippy commentary to go along with it.
IMG_3949.JPG
IMG_3949.JPG (75.93 KiB) Viewed 1723 times
IMG_3951.JPG
IMG_3951.JPG (56.34 KiB) Viewed 1723 times

More to follow, I guess....
Last edited by Griffworks on Tue May 29, 2018 4:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

My Flickr Albums
Max Nex
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Max Nex »

I'm looking forward to the completion of USS RAAN :thumbsup:
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

The Belnap is an interesting variant.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks »

Max Nex wrote:I'm looking forward to the completion of USS RAAN :thumbsup:
Thanks! I’m looking forward to the completion, too!

:(
Tesral wrote:The Belnap is an interesting variant.
Technically, it’s not a variant. It would be a variant if the secondary hull were exactly the same as a Refit, yet with the pylon’s mounted on the bottom of the secondary hull.

My Flickr Albums
MadManMUC
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by MadManMUC »

Out of curiosity, have you ever tackled the Chandley-class in 537? That would be an absolutely epic build, especially accurised (e.g. getting rid of the scribed panel lines), Aztec-painted and lit.

I maaaaaay have a crack at that one next year, after the other three kits/one kitbash I have in my head. Or it might be 2019, at the rate I'm going. :P
DANGER. SPACE DOORS ARE CLOSED.

"I saw it done on Discovery" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
(With apologies to Tesral for nicking his sig. :mrgreen: )
Kremin
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Kremin »

MadManMUC wrote:Out of curiosity, have you ever tackled the Chandley-class in 537? That would be an absolutely epic build, especially accurised (e.g. getting rid of the scribed panel lines), Aztec-painted and lit.

I maaaaaay have a crack at that one next year, after the other three kits/one kitbash I have in my head. Or it might be 2019, at the rate I'm going. :P
There was a nice Chandley built in 1/350 on another forum a couple of years ago
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks »

That was Scott Scariott, and was earlier this year. It’s an excellent build and I got to see it at WonderFest this year.
MadManMUC wrote:Out of curiosity, have you ever tackled the Chandley-class in 537? That would be an absolutely epic build, especially accurised (e.g. getting rid of the scribed panel lines), Aztec-painted and lit.

No, I’ve not actually built a Chandley in 1/537 scale. I had actually commissioned a Chandley from a guy in CA years ago. He disappeared, tho I eventually tracked him down. He sent me what he had built, and I was disappointed in what he sent. I ended up trading it to a friend for some stuff.

I’ve got some pics somewhere. I’ll try to find them and post them at some point.

My Flickr Albums

Return to “Misc”