Excelsior refit question/discussion

For everything Star Trek related, that isn't covered by the other forums.
cosika321
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Excelsior refit question/discussion

Post by cosika321 »

I was wondering if anyone knows when the changes were made to the Excelsior model from its original "NX" appearance in STIII and it's refitted "NCC" appearance in STVI.

Were the changes done when STVI was made, or were they done for the model's multiple guest appearances on TNG? I know I've seen pictures of the model in it's "NX" configuration labeled USS Hood. I was thinking that if the changes weren't done until STVI, then all the Excelsior class ships seen in the first 5 seasons of TNG were of the "NX" configuration then right?
DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Re: Excelsior refit question/discussion

Post by DefiantClient »

As far as I know, the model was modified for ST: VI. You see the Excelsior in IV and it still is in the NX comfiguration. There's also a picture of the Hood before the 42296 registry change somwhere out there and it was a redress of the NX Excelsior.

Edit: found the pic!

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

From what I've seen they made a few changes structurally.

https://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/artic ... r-size.htm

Makes mention of such, scroll down to the photos just above- Detail Changes.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

I have to say that the presence of the Excelsior Class in TNG caused a huge cognitive dissonance in my brain. In the movies the Excelsior was the newest, most technologically advanced ship in Starfleet, but by the TNG era it was an old ship. But that overlap in 1987 were you saw it as both... it was like seeing Schrodinger's cat both alive & dead
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

Moongrim wrote:From what I've seen they made a few changes structurally.

https://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/artic ... r-size.htm

Makes mention of such, scroll down to the photos just above- Detail Changes.
The movies/TV shows will drive you crazy. Hollyweird is just not that good with numbers.

My main question on the intended size of the Excelsior comes from, the height of the shuttle bay. It is half the height of the E-A.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Somebody speculated that perhaps the intention was for the Excelsior to be much bigger, and at the last minute someone got cold feet. Essentially, a reverse JJprise
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

el gato wrote:Somebody speculated that perhaps the intention was for the Excelsior to be much bigger, and at the last minute someone got cold feet. Essentially, a reverse JJprise
That would be my assumption. It explains every too small detail on the ship. Double the size it all works out.

Or you can do this.
1mppExcelsior-proposal.png
1mppExcelsior-proposal.png (15.24 KiB) Viewed 1930 times
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
Greyryder
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Greyryder »

el gato wrote:Somebody speculated that perhaps the intention was for the Excelsior to be much bigger, and at the last minute someone got cold feet. Essentially, a reverse JJprise
That's what I always thought. It explains that tiny bridge module, that looks like a smaller version of the refit's.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

i just saw Neil deGrasse Tyson at a local venue a month or so ago.

Remember that kerfluffle concerning his critique of Titanic's star field?

Mr. Tyson finally managed to get to talk to Mr. Cameron to express his concerns about it's inaccuracy.

Mr. Cameron's reply was to the effect of: "I made over a Billion Dollars with that film (Titanic) how much more would I have earned if I had had the correct star field?"

I'm mentioning this because- when you get down to brass tacks- few at Paramount really gave a damn about such minutae continuity. Or at least back then during Search for Spock.
The same bit of kerfluffle about the Reliant's missing navigational deflector.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Moongrim wrote:i just saw Neil deGrasse Tyson at a local venue a month or so ago.

Remember that kerfluffle concerning his critique of Titanic's star field?

Mr. Tyson finally managed to get to talk to Mr. Cameron to express his concerns about it's inaccuracy.

Mr. Cameron's reply was to the effect of: "I made over a Billion Dollars with that film (Titanic) how much more would I have earned if I had had the correct star field?"
Yet... Cameron corrected that mistake for the DVD release. So someone cares :)
Greyryder wrote:
That's what I always thought. It explains that tiny bridge module, that looks like a smaller version of the refit's.
Which Excelsior bridge module, the still-plausible NX bridge module or the teeny tiny NCC one?

Return to “General Trek”