So maybe aliens will be humanoid after all

For everything Star Trek related, that isn't covered by the other forums.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Re: So maybe aliens will be humanoid after all

Post by el gato »

There are others that migrate: Cetaceans, insects (butterflies, specifically) and large mammals like elephants and bison. I don't know about insects and bison, but elephants and cetaceans have been proven to be clever animals. But you bring up a more important note of adaptability to climate. If given enough time, would clever animals figure out how to adapt? Evolution's answer is mixed.

On a lighter note:
FnE9-11.jpg
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

el gato wrote:There are others that migrate: Cetaceans, insects (butterflies, specifically) and large mammals like elephants and bison. I don't know about insects and bison, but elephants and cetaceans have been proven to be clever animals. But you bring up a more important note of adaptability to climate. If given enough time, would clever animals figure out how to adapt? Evolution's answer is mixed.
I did say "most". Mobility is the big issue. If you drop a clever animal into a new environment, it will not adapt. We will put on more, take off some, build different shelters and so forth.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Tesral wrote:
el gato wrote:There are others that migrate: Cetaceans, insects (butterflies, specifically) and large mammals like elephants and bison. I don't know about insects and bison, but elephants and cetaceans have been proven to be clever animals. But you bring up a more important note of adaptability to climate. If given enough time, would clever animals figure out how to adapt? Evolution's answer is mixed.
I did say "most". Mobility is the big issue. If you drop a clever animal into a new environment, it will not adapt. We will put on more, take off some, build different shelters and so forth.
That's where the timing issue I alluded to comes into play, "if given enough time, would clever animals figure out how to adapt?"

OT, sorta. That's where we may be running into problems in this planet. At the rate of climate change, we are not giving many species, clever or not, enough time to adapt
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Return to “General Trek”