Ktinga vs D7

For everything Star Trek related, that isn't covered by the other forums.
Jason Abbadon
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: Ktinga vs D7

Post by Jason Abbadon »

jkb-1 wrote:
I thought the emmiter was the big glowing red grill (on the K't'inga) at the front of the raised hangar bay on the wing section?
That would be a satisfying answer. Alas, every front-view drawing of either ship shows it blocked by the "bunker" part of the bridge.

Y'know, I was reading on Memory Alpha how Andrew Probert designed the bridge to fit into the "grain silo" and the aft part of the "bunker," see here:

https://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/K%27t%2 ... robert.jpg

It seems he was working with the numbers that would make the "silo" only seven meters wide, and in the movie a Klingon crosses that circular set in about 6-8 steps. I've read elsewhere he worked out the traffic pattern in the San Francisco Shipyard Office just for his own satisfaction, it's a shame he didn't move down to the neck of the K't'inga and tell the folks to make it a bit bigger. (Of course, it may have already been built when he got to it.)
That's always meen where I assumed the bridge was- the camera zooms in on that part in TMP- and it has red windows and when they cut to the interior of the bridge, it's lit in red.
Everything saying oherwise is just fandom or game sourse...hardly definitive.

Consider that the command pod is by itself capable of seperating- that area fore of the grain silo would be ideal for quarters and supplies, while the lower decks contain everything else- engineering, power, twinkie storage, Shaksperian theater, three ring circus, etc.
The model of the K'Tinga pod has a impulse engine on the back of it, so I really dont think the boom goes along during a seperation- just the pod would be smarter- smaller target profile too.

As to the neck part being a potential shooting gallery, in event of a mutiny or hostile ship boarding troops, the bridge could just seal itself off, cut gravity and vent the atmosphere from the back end while maintaining command functions and re-pressurize when they're out of combat or whhen they get back to a port.
the bodies of the "Hornored dead" would stay preserved in the depressurized vaccum.
Alternately, they could flush some biological agent that kills only non-Klingons.
Or flush hard radiation from the warpcore into the back end on the ship (explaining the distance from the pod to the drive section).
Or turn off the inertial dampners to the back end and go to full impulse...that would explain those grates in the floor of Klingon ships- in case they had to hose the place down afterwards. :twisted:
Bellerophon
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Bellerophon »

I've always interpreted the pizza slice as the bridge and the silo and the kidney bean on top of it as sensors. The pizza slice is just barely thick enough to be two decks high and big enough to be like the B/C decks on a Fed cruiser, so it could contain the bridge and all the stations that would be on the B/C decks. (I don't know of anywhere these are discussed, but you'd expect CIC surrounded by more sensor/weapons stations than could fit on the bridge.) It's the funny shape of the parts on top of the D7/K't'inga command pod make me think they're sensors.

Another thing that used to bother me about K't'inga (and B'rel) is converting the nav deflector into a photon emitter, but that actually makes sense since I thought about it. If you're going FTL, it might not be good enough for dust specks to get out of your way at sublight speeds. So the deflector needs to project a warp field. Photon torps need to go FTL, too. Maybe Fed torps can propel themselves at warp speed, but perhaps Klingon torps do need the boost, and the deflector would be excellent at providing it. In fact, when you see a Klingon photon emitter warming up to fire, it kinda looks like Klingon transporters. Beaming the torp to a point right in front of the deflector is a good way to get it there without the usual naval torpedo business of opening outer doors, etc.

Jason, where on the command pod of a K't'inga is there an impulse engine? Does the command pod have any propulsion? RCS thrusters, I suppose. If the D-7's nav deflector is in the command pod and the warp nacelles and impulse engines are on the main hull, both parts are out of luck in a separation, 'cause the main hull seems to be missing a deflector. The power for the deflector in the command pod must come through EPS conduits in the neck, which there is room for (a central corridor with EPS conduits and data cables on each side).

Klingon ships are cool even just to think about!
But isn't it all Klingon opera?

My modeling blog: http://bellerophon-modeler.blogspot.com/ (mostly build logs)
My other modeling blog: http://bellerophon.blog.com/ (photo galleries and links)
zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by zookman »

i go by what fasa used and the boom is connected to command pod during seperation and continsa a pair of small aux. inmpluse drives to either side of central corridor .... dont see why the ktinga wouldnt use the same .. would explain the bulges and such at rear of boom .. the fasa deck plans for the D-7 can explain the layout better if anyone has seen them ...
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

Honorable ship, no bowling alley.

I have most of the FASA stuff including the D7 plans.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
steelfox
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by steelfox »

Ahhhhh.....

I always wondered where the idea that the hole-in-the-nose was a deflector rather than torpedo tube came from.
Now I know.

So, key question, is there any TOS episode where we get a clear bow-on view of the D-7 that shows it clearly?
Or conversely, do we ever see a torpedo or weapon blast come out of it prior to the K'T'Inga's in TMP?

Reason for asking, if that is the Sensor/deflector, where are the weapon tubes/emitters?

Da Fox
:D
jkb-1
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by jkb-1 »

I think the only TOS time we've seen it fire was "Elaan of Troyus." Disruptor bolts came from the warp nacelles, blueprints locaeted to the tab at the front.

TAS had the "deflector" area firing a special beam weapon in "More Tribbles..." Some type of torpedo or pulse may have been fired in some episode, I can't remember if it was by Klingons or Romulans.
Bellerophon
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Bellerophon »

jkb-1 wrote:I think the only TOS time we've seen it fire was "Elaan of Troyus." Disruptor bolts came from the warp nacelles, blueprints locaeted to the tab at the front.

TAS had the "deflector" area firing a special beam weapon in "More Tribbles..." Some type of torpedo or pulse may have been fired in some episode, I can't remember if it was by Klingons or Romulans.
Yeah, it was a stasis weapon that fired simultaneously from the front and both sides of the command bulb. In the course of the episode it becomes evident why the stasis weapon doesn't have a future with the Klingon fleet. Aside from being a huge power drain, they apparently couldn't fire in fewer than three directions at a time. And of course it was Klingons. Tribbles don't have any problem with Romulans apparently.

Not only are there the FASA deck plans, there are also these: https://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/bo ... -plans.php Naturally the two sets of plans don't agree, and as I recall they both have aspects that aren't well thought out. So if you want to make up your own D-7 deck plans, the field's still wide open.
But isn't it all Klingon opera?

My modeling blog: http://bellerophon-modeler.blogspot.com/ (mostly build logs)
My other modeling blog: http://bellerophon.blog.com/ (photo galleries and links)
jkb-1
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by jkb-1 »

Bellerophon wrote:Not only are there the FASA deck plans, there are also these: https://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/bo ... -plans.php Naturally the two sets of plans don't agree, and as I recall they both have aspects that aren't well thought out. So if you want to make up your own D-7 deck plans, the field's still wide open.
Interesting to compare the placement of phasers in that plan to the disruptor weapon on the K'Tinga https://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/lcars/st ... icture.php One rather than two on either side of the aft hull top, one on each corner of the bottom, ignored the three along the bottom of the forward bulb, but put two beside the bulb -- in what the D-7 prints call tractor beams, finally, two on the Art Deco arches supporting the neck. Unlike the phasers, the disruptors did appear on the studio miniature, but like them, were never fired... well hardly ever; in the TNG ep "The Emissary" a K'Tinga of Movie-Era vintage fired disruptors, the bolts coming from the corners of the wings.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Jason Abbadon wrote:FUN TRIVIA: the only person in Trek to call the TOS Klingon Battlecruiser a "D-7" was Kira in the Trials and Tribulations episode of DS9.
I think Spock was the first one to use the D-7 classification in "The Enterprise Incident." When the Enterprise crossed the Neutral Zone, he said something along the lines of "Oh, yeah, the Romulans are now using the Klingon D-7 design."

To the DVDs!
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Return to “General Trek”