New forum sections? (multiple choice poll)

The place for forum help, reporting bugs and other issues relating to AST.

Do we need additional forums?

YES! A kitbash forum would be great!
21%
YES! Tips & tricks / How To section is a must!
40%
YES! Dioramas need their own place!
12%
YES! AST resource section please! It would come in handy.
15%
YES! We need a separate forum for "X" scale! (post which one below)
8%
YES! It's not on the list though (post what you'd like to see below).
4%
NO! Leave it the way it is for now.
No votes

Total votes: 52

Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

New forum sections? (multiple choice poll)

Post by Xen »

Since we launched AST we've had several members contacting us with ways to help improve the site. There is one subject though that keeps popping up. Namely new categories and forums. New scales, tips and tricks, kit bashing, customs, dioramas and a resource gallery seem to be at the top of the list. My personal opinion is that subjects such as kitbashing, customs and dioramas don't need separate sections, as each section includes everything from general discussions (on said subject) to finished builds. I'm curious to find out how other folks feel though.

We're all for improving AST, but there has to be a balance struck between active members that contribute content and expanding the forum further. Otherwise we'll end up with a large forum, full of empty or inactive sections. With the notable exception of 1/2500, the rest have been plodding along. 1/1000 and Gaming have huge communities by comparison, so it's been surprising to see the contrast.

Increasing our membership via word of mouth is vital to improving user participation, and ultimately the general health of the forum. As mentioned in the PM, your help in promoting AST is invaluable and could, in all honesty make all the difference.

In the meantime, we encourage everyone to have their say.

N.B. This is a multiple choice poll (your top 3 choices only).
Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Re: New forum sections? (multiple choice poll)

Post by Steam235 »

Definitly a Tips and Tricks forum. Modeling tips are often equally applicable to all scales. I'd hate to ask a question in the Misc Scale forum about paint or putty and miss out on answers from those in the 2500 scale forum.
Del
Starship Engineer
Starship Engineer

Post by Del »

First off Xen, thanks for asking for the input. This really makes the place feel like it belongs to us, and when folks feel they have a say, it creates loyalty and "esprit de corps." You of course have the final say on what makes sense for the good of the site, and for your sanity for keeping it all straight. I see the hard work you've put into this site for us, so thank you for AST!! :geek: Now on to my thoughts.......

1. I don't think we need a kitbash section. I do a lot of this and prefer to post in the forum for the scale in which I'm 'bashing. Just makes sense.

2. Although there won't be much action in 1/350 for the time being, I think it's worth splitting that off now. So far we've got the NX-01, Refit, , KBoP, and now the TOS E will soon be arriving. Also, Delta Quadrant makes a Xindi ship in this scale and I'm sure others will be following suit with more offerings eventually.

The key point for it having it's own forum is that this scale of ship can be very detailed. Proper construction of one of these kits can take a year or more if done properly. Where the 1/537 scale has been the "trophy" ship scale for the past couple of decades for model builders who have mastered their techniques, I think we're going to see a large percentage of model builders attempt at least one of the 1/350 kits.

We now have 76 members and a lot more activity has occurred in the past couple of weeks. Not bad for going live only 2 months ago. Having a 1/350 section might also entice a few more folks to contribute here, and I'm looking forward to their wisdom. Might be slow posting for awhile, but worth having that dedicated place for these trophy-sized kits.

That said, I would like to see "1/72" added to the subtitle for the Misc Section. It might catch the eyes of other folks who are building shuttles as I plan on doing soon, and currently there are at least 16 kits available.

3. I also think that a "Tips and Tricks" section is a good idea. But we really only need 2 forums for this. Something like "Construction and Lighting" and "Paint and Decals". The first group could be combined because lighting takes place during construction, and paint and decals are an obvious combo. This lets us have the section we're looking for, but keeps the additional forums to a minimum.

Hope you made it through all of that reading without falling asleep! :D
Multi-Verse Models - http://www.mvmodels.biz or find me on Facebook
Retail sales of kits from Design Anomaly, Kessel Run Kits, NorthTrek Creations, Alternate Paradigms, and more!
ulvdemon
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by ulvdemon »

I agree with Del. A tips and trick section wuld be a good addition, and keeping the lighting and construction in the same sub-forum will keep everything together in one place. Same with Paint and Decals with finishing. A possible sub category I can think of is if we have a section where articles that can be easily accessed. Ecspecially for those how-to articles that everyone keeps asking about, but forgets where they are located.
Current Build: Revell/Monogram 1/48 F-14D

On Hold: 1/48 Revell Mig-21PFM
Completed: 1/420 USS Defiant
Completed: AMT 1/650(?) USS Enterprise
Completed: 1/72 Bandai VF-1J
Completed: Linbergh's USS Gato
Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Post by Xen »

For those that have yet to vote: :feedback: Don't make me chase you down with :spam2: :rofl:

Sorry, I'm being goofy. On a serious note, the feedback is appreciated. We just need more of it. Some 20 views with this thread and around 12 in the news section, makes me think people aren't checking this out.

I don't want to send any more mass PM's unless it's absolutely necessary. I remember being a member of a forum where the Admin spammed its members with updates, seemingly every other week. As much as that gets folks attention, I refuse to do that.
Del
Starship Engineer
Starship Engineer

Post by Del »

I don't think we're in a rush. Let's get through the weekend. I think that might be when most folks come out to play. :ropebanana:
Retail sales of kits from Design Anomaly, Kessel Run Kits, NorthTrek Creations, Alternate Paradigms, and more!
Leviathan74
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

Post by Leviathan74 »

1/7000 scale should be seperated from 1/3900 and the gaming section. You can game in any scale you wish.
Bellerophon
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Bellerophon »

You don't want to go crazy adding too many sections. For instance, suppose you had a separate "Dioramas" section. A diorama also has a scale, unless it's forced perspective. So someone builds this cool diorama in 1/XXX scale, so now does he post under Dioramas or under 1/XXX scale? (Too bad it can't be tagged rather than categorized. Tags wouldn't create this conflict.)

I think the answer is in name of the website. It's All Scale Trek, so it's scale oriented. After being Trek oriented, that is. It's clear cut: you post your work according to scale. It's just as well we don't have sections like "Kitbashes" or "Dioramas" or "Scratchbuilds" that are not by scale, or else you'd have similar threads in separate sections. (It's still a good thing there are extra categories for tips and tricks, like "Construction," "Finishing," and "Customizing.")

That being said, I still think now that 1/350 is separate, the Misc section ought to be split into "Box Scale" for AMT etc kits in 1/537, 1/650, etc. and "Large Scale" for stuff bigger than 1/350, like shuttles and the bridge set. (Yeah, I know, the Vulcan shuttle's 1/187 is obviously a box scale, but what can you do?) I've got loads of "Box Scale" irons in the fire, but with R2 coming out with a new Bridge Set and shuttlecraft (that's official, right?), I've got ambitions to do some 1/32 stuff too, and these are very different scale ranges.
But isn't it all Klingon opera?

My modeling blog: http://bellerophon-modeler.blogspot.com/ (mostly build logs)
My other modeling blog: http://bellerophon.blog.com/ (photo galleries and links)
Gorn
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Gorn »

Is there a FASA scale/modelsm thread??
Total expansion = total gravitation; the Universe comes from nothing.
Del
Starship Engineer
Starship Engineer

Post by Del »

Gorn wrote:Is there a FASA scale/modelsm thread??
I would say that would be the "Gaming" forum which is for 1/3900, 1/7000, etc.. Unless they fit the 1/2500 scale and then they would go there.

Return to “Help & Contact”