bugs/changes/tweaks list for new board upgrade

Forum rules, site updates and general news.
Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Re: bugs/changes/tweaks list for new board upgrade

Postby Xen » Fri Jun 24, 2016 2:25 am

Del wrote:If for any reason my post about the lag time appears to be put in a negative light, I sincerely apologize. I've been noticing slow page loading on basically every page I load up regardless of time of day for a couple of weeks now, and wasn't sure if it was just me or others were also experiencing the problem. It was never meant to be a personal dig, but I'm just trying to figure it out.

I appreciate the gesture, but there is no need for apologies. I just took a couple of comments the wrong way.

It was very much a case of bad timing with RL knocking me around that day, logging on, then reading a couple of things from you and DefiantClient that managed to get to me (e.g. "I've noticed the slower load time for pages. It's pretty annoying, honestly"), prompted a knee-jerk reaction thinking to myself "do these guys think I'm doing this on purpose?". I've had at least one person leave prior to the site upgrade because he thought I was personally spamming him with PM notification e-mails. So, despite what I'm going through I felt pressure to fix the site.

I know you guys aren't out to stir things up. Del has been great to me as both a friend and supporter of AST. Although I don't know DefiantClient from what I've seen he's become another popular and valued member of this little community.

You just have to take me as I am these days. Not my usual P.C. happy-happy, joy-joy admin self. I am easily bothered, quick to lash out, and this upgrade not going according to plan didn't help (my fault, nothing to do with the dev). I feel like I'm damned no matter what I do, but I will get this done and done right.

That's why I'm glad Scotchyn is around to be the AST frontman, set a good example and handle business.

Del wrote:However, I did just notice something that might be browser related. I'm using IE 11 and have no problems at other forums, just this one, and only since the partial upgrade. I also use FireFox and have no lag at all - everything is fine. Now, I haven't been to any other forums that have a new upgrade, so perhaps the new software doesn't work well with IE 11, which isn't all that hard to understand. The IE browser is soon to be history anyway, so that may be where the problem lies. Not sure if that helps, but thought I would share.

It does help. IE is still THE browser of choice, even though many use Firefox and Chrome. The more I read about new gremlins the more I think it's something with the host. I will add it to the list and consult with the dev when I have the chance.

Moongrim wrote:I did notice one minor little bitty thing this morning....

I've been looking through the quick links for the New Posts ensemble. And that's been working fine.

But as I was getting done looking through the list I went back to the Board Index and noticed a highlighted entry: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=3700

This one never got listed in the new topics- despite it being updated the night before.

Just thought I'd let someone know.

That's one of those things that will no doubt be hard to replicate, but it is exactly the type of bug spotting / weirdness I want to hear about. People would rather leave a site than stay and help fix it. I don't blame them for that, it's just the way things are these days. That's why the folks that help out are vital to getting this site looking good and working as it should.

Scotchyn
3/4 Highlander, 1/4 Tamale
3/4 Highlander, 1/4 Tamale

Postby Scotchyn » Fri Jun 24, 2016 4:02 am

That's why I'm glad Scotchyn is around to be the AST frontman, set a good example and handle business.

well i do play in two different bands, so thats where i get my practice from lol, no prob though

Julien
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby Julien » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:18 pm

I don't have any problems (I use Chrome) and I see the "Donate" button is back, so it's all good ! ;)

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Postby Moongrim » Fri Jul 29, 2016 2:10 pm

Just a minor quibble. This morning going through the quick link "new posts". All of the "new" was checked, but double checking with the board index- I found at least 5 more highlighted discussions that weren't included in the new.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

Moongrim

Postby Moongrim » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:33 pm

This morning I had to re login; Several topics were highlighted as being new on the Board Index, but going through Quick Links- "No criteria matched this search" or equivalent.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

andyh
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby andyh » Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:18 pm

I'm having trouble post a new topic. Anyone else having issues?

Andy

RogueWolf
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)

Postby RogueWolf » Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:15 pm

I tried posting a few pics twice now and each time it didn't work. I could post a text message, but anything with a pic in it wouldn't go. happened to me yesterday too.
Check out my NorthTrek Creations kits at:
http://www.mvmodels.biz/northtrek.asp
Valar Morghulis

Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Postby Xen » Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:55 pm

No updates have been made, so this is odd to have posting problems all of a sudden. That said, Windows has caused problems, our host hasn't been much help, there are updates/tweaks galore, and I have fallen behind big time since summer 2016.

To all,

My apologies. Please pass this on to anyone else that might be having problems so we don't lose disgruntled members over these types of things.

List any problems in point form (with a list of actions that I could replicate).
When the problem(s) occurred.
If the problem(s) are still happening.

To the rest,

List anything you deem as a tech problem or general concern (again, with information I can use to replicate said problem or show a dev what you tried).

shan2371
Lemme At Em Lieutenant
Lemme At Em Lieutenant

Postby shan2371 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 9:39 am

Any update on this Xen?

andyh
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby andyh » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:16 am

I was able to post pictures again this morning.

Andy

Return to “Important”