Ed Miarecki "Yesterday's Enterprise" Phaser

Costumes, Everyday Wear, Jewelry and Props.
Shark
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Ed Miarecki "Yesterday's Enterprise" Phaser

Postby Shark » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:28 pm

This is a rather poor casting, I'm doubting it was made by Ed but it's possible. It features rudimentary electronics which sadly no longer function. It looks like a convention special, the previous owner said it was built from a kit. This is Ed M's version of the TMP/TWOK Phaser which he made vac-formed copies of for TNG's episode "Yesterday's Enterprise", it's actually longer than the actual TMP/TWOK Phaser, but feels really good in the hand it's also quite heavy.

RogueWolf
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)
Resolute Rear Admiral (UH)

Re: Ed Miarecki "Yesterday's Enterprise" Phaser

Postby RogueWolf » Mon Apr 13, 2015 2:27 am

Still looks cool, but I prefer the one from the Undiscovered Country, the one with the magazine/battery pack. Now that one looked like a real weapon!
Check out my NorthTrek Creations kits at:
http://www.mvmodels.biz/northtrek.asp
Valar Morghulis

Shark
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby Shark » Mon Apr 13, 2015 3:07 am

RogueWolf wrote:Still looks cool, but I prefer the one from the Undiscovered Country, the one with the magazine/battery pack. Now that one looked like a real weapon!

Ah, the so called "Assault Phaser". Yeah, that one is pretty cool. I just love the sleekness of this one, it looks streamlined as hell.

kobayashimaru
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby kobayashimaru » Mon Apr 13, 2015 8:38 am

@RogueWolf,
Was that the phaser Shatner helped design (after his stint on TJ Hooker), the assault phaser? That thing looked awesome!
The hero props had machined aluminium, there were design allusions to the Lazer Pistol from TOS (that knurled brassy gun with a huge cylinder and rotatey select fire mode), it was awesome. And that ultra-annoying, Klingon-y sound of "Vrrrow-wuhm"
I don't know how they went from that level of cool, to the 'noisy cricket' designs on early TNG... TNG weapons didn't start looking cool for the feds till around ST:FC in my humble opinion, subjectively. The dolphin phaser and on, that looked neat. The 29th C phaser, and the Nemesis phaser, started detracting from the aesthetics IMHO.
Worf looks so awkward pointing either the duster buster or the mini-noisy cricket at people;
much as Takei disliked the LED 'Phaser Wand" he had to use back in Trek 3... (Takei and Brad were talking about that and fondly reminiscing not too long ago on their Youtube... Brad was hanging shtuff on Takei for having space-wands hahah).

@Shark,
Wowsers! Look at the dulled-chrome/stainless finish on this thing.
Thanks for sharing: it looks cool.
This has much more of the pulpy-sci-fi /30s and Buck Rodgers look to it.
This'd be right at home in anything Fallout or Wasteland inspired.

Maybe the black fades? Or, this is what a stripped-down phaser looks like, missing the covering?
This'd be great to see on ST:Renegades.

Does it have a piece of rebar/lead inside?
Many of the early TOS pieces had a nook for metal inside for the Hero props, with actual steel inside, to maintain consistency in effects after Season 1.
Some design notes suggested a hand phaser oughta weigh about as much as a Browning HiPower, but have a little heavier recoil. (like a .45ACP or a .357/.357Short stout load). The TOS Phaser rifle was supposed to be more like a STG/MP40, but have a recoil similar to 30-06 (30 odd 6 rounds) - a short, sharp recoil when fired in bursts. But, more like a firehose/pressure when used as a continuous beam.

Shark
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby Shark » Mon Apr 13, 2015 4:27 pm

kobayashimaru wrote:@RogueWolf,
@Shark,
Wowsers! Look at the dulled-chrome/stainless finish on this thing.
Thanks for sharing: it looks cool.
This has much more of the pulpy-sci-fi /30s and Buck Rodgers look to it.
This'd be right at home in anything Fallout or Wasteland inspired.

Wow! You know I never looked at it that way, but now that you mention it this thing does look pulpy Buck Rogers-ish! I love that description, thank you. And it doesn't contain any lead or metal inside, but it sure feels like it because it is heavy!

Return to “Clothing and Accessories”