Diamond Select USS Excelsior

For everything Star Trek related, that isn't covered by the other forums.
DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Diamond Select USS Excelsior

Post by DefiantClient »

By request of Trekriffic for measuring his AMT Excelsior, here's some pics of Diamond Select's take on it. There's only a couple things I'm not loving about it, but they're minor. There's no outboard fins on the aft of the nacelles and the torpedo tubes(?) on the neck don't look accurate. There's also quite a bit of misalignment on the printed detail along with streaks from some of the windows. I heard of all this before I bought the ship though, so I knew what I was getting into. Also, I think I used an Amazon gift card to pay for it, so it was technically a present. :D

Also, please forgive the cubical background. It resides in my office and hasn't left. Lighting's great though! :lol:

Oh yeah, it has lights and sound, too. Lots of sulu quotes and some sound effects. If you hold down the bridge button for 3-5 seconds, it will stay lit. Very cool for pics.

I'm convinced this is 1/1000 scale. Here's my 1/1000 R2 Enterprise-A with the toy. I haven't compared it to the model since it's never left the office, but Trekriffic got back to me and said his AMT model was 18" from fore to aft. My measurement this morning has the Diamond Select toy also at 18" as well. The toy is overall more accurate than the old model, but with the R2 re-release that will soon not be true.

trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Re: Diamond Select USS Excelsior

Post by trekriffic »

Not a bad representation of the Excelsior at all. How could they miss the outboard nacelle fins though? In terms of accuracy what about it makes it more accurate than the AMT model in your opinion? Is the secondary hull thicker? The shape of the bridge?
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/
DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by DefiantClient »

The fins not being on the toy was almost as bothersome as the misaligned/smeared detail stencils. I can only assume it was just overlooked.

The curve of the front of the secondary hull is a little thicker so the curve going to the front is much more accurate. Aside from the Torpedo Tubes in the neck (not the ones on the secondary hull) being wrong, the ribbing on the neck is correct, though the back of the neck isn't curved. The bridge seems closer to the studio model, and seems bigger compared to the Ertl kit. Oh, also the aft torpedo launcher looks correct, though there's some soft detail. I just noticed the open "shuttlebay" area looks like it's different, but it's missing some pretty key stuff so I'd kinda say that is worse than the Ertl kit.

The big one in terms of accuracy for me though is the deflector and trench of the toy. It's dead on to me, as opposed to the Ertl model. I knew there was something wrong with the Ertl kit's deflector even when I was a wee lad.

So maybe not more accurate per se, but certainly better looking in some key areas the kit got wrong.
pengbuzz
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by pengbuzz »

For the errors on that ship, it still looks better than the model IMO.

I'd love to see the two ships together in the "STVI sign-off" pose. :D
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

And the black warp engine trim is all lit up?

Well anyways- it looks nice. I like it.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by DefiantClient »

Moongrim wrote:And the black warp engine trim is all lit up?
Eh, it was lit on Voyager's Flashback. DS9, too. I'm not a fan of it, but I think I can live with it.
Stonewall
Candid Cadet
Candid Cadet

Post by Stonewall »

I found this site due to a search for someone covering this topic.

Just purchased the DST Excelsior and awaiting delivery from Belgium to the UK. So wanted to know scale of it so I can get the Enterprise and my fav ship Reliant.

So Thank you for the photo clear scale of the DST to 1/1000 ship.
nova1972x
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by nova1972x »

I love the Excelsior Class ships!

Return to “General Trek”