Fixing mis-drilled holes

Tools and techniques used for preparation and assembly.
Harrypotter
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Fixing mis-drilled holes

Postby Harrypotter » Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:33 am

Guys,

Essentially I started to drill the windows out for my 1/1000 D7 last night and had a bit of a nightmare.

2 of the holes are maybe 0.25mm out of position, which doesn't sound much until you consider the holes are 0.5mm in diameter, in which case it's a country mile.

Also I was having trouble drilling the double holes to make the slotted windows.

This is a test piece to learn how to get it right before I move onto other things (1/1000 TOS Enterprise), so before I start trying to fix it I thought I'd ask for your collective wisdom.

So please, how do I:

i) Fill in and re-drill the holes (techniques materials, tips & tricks etc.)

ii) Drill the remaining holes more accurately (I stopped once it started going arwy) - currently I was using a pin to 'centre punch' the plastic.

iii) Any other useful tips - I've tried googling it but you get lots of different answers and very little that translates to holes this small.

TIA

zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Re: Fixing mis-drilled holes

Postby zookman » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:57 am

if ya have any plastic rod the same dia as holes .. just glue a small piece in let dry and trim and sand flush .. its plastic so is same strength as rest of kit .. if no rod then use the kit sprues and heat it and stretch it till it will fit in hole fairly tight so no gaps .. after trimming and sanding it should blend in nice lol .. might have to practice getting the stretched sprue the right size .. but it will taper ead the ends ya holding on so should get a couple pieces to fit lol

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Postby Moongrim » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:27 pm

Two part epoxy is 'good' for filling in the holes. JB Weld is my personal favorite.

Apply, dry, then take a hand drill bit set Image

Restart with the smallest bit for placement, use the larger bits for the window size you desire.

For making slits- make a starter hole for each end of the slit. And a number of additional holes along the line of the slit.
Start with one end hole, with the drill bit in it, and sort of 'shave' it towards the next hole along the line. But be warned- drill bits are not designed to withstand such use. They WILL break. So get yourself plenty of them from a cheap knock off hardware store along the lines of Harbor Freight.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Sat Mar 12, 2016 3:50 am

How about just using putty to fill the holes? Tape one side of the plastic, apply the putty though the other side and sand flush if necessary
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Tesral
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Postby Tesral » Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:54 am

el gato wrote:How about just using putty to fill the holes? Tape one side of the plastic, apply the putty though the other side and sand flush if necessary

Putty lacks any substance. The drill will slip right back into the old hole.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby DefiantClient » Sat Mar 12, 2016 4:46 pm

I've used this clay called Green Stuff which usually plays nice when you need to drill holes. I've seen it also called Brown Stuff and Grey Stuff as well, which I believe are no difference. It can be used for filling but sculpting is where it shines, which is why I think it holds up a little stronger when it dries.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Mon Mar 14, 2016 5:02 pm

Tesral wrote:
el gato wrote:How about just using putty to fill the holes? Tape one side of the plastic, apply the putty though the other side and sand flush if necessary

Putty lacks any substance. The drill will slip right back into the old hole.

Good point. My shorthand failed me, because I call Aves "putty," even though they're different.

The other thing he can try, even thought it's tricky and if you let it dry too long you'll destroy your sandpaper files, is CA (crazy glue)
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Return to “Construction”