Ships I'd like to build

Tools and techniques used for preparation and assembly.
patrickivan
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Ships I'd like to build

Post by patrickivan »

I'm posting in construction because I'm unsure how to proceed. I have some SU models I made, but want to make physical versions. I'm just not sure the best way to proceed. Scratch from x materials, or printed. But printing is super expensive.

Even at 1:2500, printing may be too cost prohibitive. Especially the long tug. And the two I want in 1:350 may be too complicated for my skills to custom make. Though I'm thinking a combination of balsa, foam, and model sculpt may be best.

Anyway- anyone have suggestions?

I'd want to do these in 1:2500

This image is just for fun

And these two in 1:350
RogueWolf
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Re: Ships I'd like to build

Post by RogueWolf »

Some interesting design's there, I like the lines of the TNG era ones, 1/350 would do them nicely though. But most of these are gonna be small in 1/2500. But don't let that stop you, jump in and have fun!

You could always start by kitbashing the TOS designs, the nacelles should be readily available in several different scales to fit your needs. I've heard some here do their mock-ups in paper first before cutting styrene.
Check out my NorthTrek Creations kits at:
http://www.mvmodels.biz/northtrek.asp
Valar Morghulis
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

patrickivan wrote:I'm posting in construction because I'm unsure how to proceed. I have some SU models I made, but want to make physical versions. I'm just not sure the best way to proceed. Scratch from x materials, or printed. But printing is super expensive.

Even at 1:2500, printing may be too cost prohibitive. Especially the long tug. And the two I want in 1:350 may be too complicated for my skills to custom make. Though I'm thinking a combination of balsa, foam, and model sculpt may be best.

The Leno class?

patrickivan wrote: And these two in 1:350
Yachts I assume?
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
patrickivan
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by patrickivan »

RogueWolf wrote:Some interesting design's there, I like the lines of the TNG era ones, 1/350 would do them nicely though. But most of these are gonna be small in 1/2500. But don't let that stop you, jump in and have fun!

You could always start by kitbashing the TOS designs, the nacelles should be readily available in several different scales to fit your needs. I've heard some here do their mock-ups in paper first before cutting styrene.
I suppose if I print top, bottom, side in a card stock, I can rough up the ship pretty quickly? Just glue... Make templates and cut from styrene. Use parts from other kits as needed... I don't see why I shouldn't at least try. LOL.
Tesral wrote:
patrickivan wrote:I'm posting in construction because I'm unsure how to proceed. I have some SU models I made, but want to make physical versions. I'm just not sure the best way to proceed. Scratch from x materials, or printed. But printing is super expensive.

The Leno class?
patrickivan wrote: And these two in 1:350
Yachts I assume?
There's a Leno class? I had no idea. Any pics? I did a quick search and didn't find it.

I designed this a couple of years ago. Based on the Sikorsky Sky Crane heli... Hence the Sikorsky Class designation. THought I was being original.

The bottom 2 are indeed yachts. Did the interiors to go with it. Used Enterprise D bridge concepts for interior ideas on the first one.
DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by DefiantClient »

patrickivan wrote:There's a Leno class? I had no idea. Any pics? I did a quick search and didn't find it.
It was a joke. Jay Leno is known for having a big defined chin, though not as majestic and amazing as Bruce Campbell's :lol: . Your ship must have reminded Tesral about it.3

To contribute, I really would love to see you build one of those Yachts. They look like interesting projects.
shiftdel
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by shiftdel »

You can try unfold your model in Pepakura, and build it in card; the tug would be perfect to this, due to its almost geometric lines.
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

DefiantClient wrote: It was a joke. Jay Leno is known for having a big defined chin, though not as majestic and amazing as Bruce Campbell's :lol: . Your ship must have reminded Tesral about it.3
Nailed it in one.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
patrickivan
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by patrickivan »

I can only dream of my ship being as cool as Bruce Campbell! 8-)
DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by DefiantClient »

patrickivan wrote:I can only dream of my ship being as cool as Bruce Campbell! 8-)
This is literally the only thing cooler and I think Bruce (and Ash) would agree. It did travel through time, so it could be considered a ship :lol:

Return to “Construction”