Getting started

Tools and techniques used for preparation and assembly.
cozmo
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Re: Getting started

Postby cozmo » Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:59 pm

Reading glasses.

I was at the optometrist the other day and he suggested that it might be time to try a pair.

Wow!

I looked at the stuff I did just a week ago and the glasses would have made a huge difference.

martok2112
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby martok2112 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:02 am

I realize this is way out of the ball park here, as we are speaking of practical modeling (which I still love and admire to this day), but lately, since I've gotten into iClone and Blender, my love has been 3D modeling. The more I learn about these programs, the more I really enjoy making the ships I've loved for so long. And the big advantage is, I don't need a model kit, especially for kits that have not been developed yet.

Just as a beginner's limits to practical modeling might be their understanding of how plastic and resins and lacquers and primers and paints and decals and greebles work, which increases over time, my limits are based on my understanding of just how the programs work. Another big advantage in my particular preference of modeling is that, since it is digital, if I screw up a component, all I have to do is CTRL+Z, or Undo. :) (runs.....hides....)

I might not practical build anymore, but as a fellow modeler, my hat goes off to you who carry on the tradition of practical modeling. :)
Remember, you can't have gagh without "gag"! :D

cozmo
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby cozmo » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:44 am

martok2112 wrote:...

Oh yeah, well make me some nacelles so I can print them. Hop to it man.

martok2112
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby martok2112 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:36 am

cozmo wrote:
martok2112 wrote:...

Oh yeah, well make me some nacelles so I can print them. Hop to it man.

You want TMP or TOS styled nacelles? :)
I hope you didn't think I was boasting, or berating practical modeling. In honesty, given the lack of time I've given lately to practical modeling, I do indeed feel like the odd man out at this forum. But I'd like to think we are kindred spirits in recreating our favorite ships, regardless of our methods. :)

If you were serious, btw, PM me your email addy, and I should be able to send (hopefully) my central, port and starboard TMP era warp nacelles (.OBJ files and material files). It's almost 4.5 MB, so not a very big file. Now ultimately, the details are in the material files. Now, I don't know jack about 3D printing, but, given the techniques I've seen some folks use for their small scale Defiants, you might be able to take the material files that come along with the package, and make decals (warp emitters, space matrix restoration grilles, bussard grilles, etc) via PhotoShop, or GIMP perhaps. If you should make a 3D print of these nacelles, I can tell you that they won't likely have the indentations for things like the warp field emitters, or the pre-stage flux chillers, and things like that. They'll likely just come out as flat nacelle shells with the appropriate RCS fins. As I said, you might have to make decals out of the material files. (I do try to keep my shapes as simple as possible, for memory's sake.) :)
Remember, you can't have gagh without "gag"! :D

PolaDroid
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Postby PolaDroid » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:29 am

I know this post is a little old but it would be great if it could carry on. I'm completely new to the hobby so if there are any essential tools or tips that you can think of I'd love to hear them. I thought it best to bump this topic rather than start a new one!

Tesral
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Postby Tesral » Sun Mar 02, 2014 5:57 pm

PolaDroid wrote:I know this post is a little old but it would be great if it could carry on. I'm completely new to the hobby so if there are any essential tools or tips that you can think of I'd love to hear them. I thought it best to bump this topic rather than start a new one!

A list of tools on page one of the thread. Basic stuff. A completer listof tools is impossible. Everyone has slightly different preferences and needs. One each of the complete Micro Mart catalog and you still wouldn't have them all (or any space).

Tips is a bit more difficult. I at least need an idea of what you need help with, or if something comes up with my own stuff I'll mention it.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

Cubey Terra
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby Cubey Terra » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:48 pm

PolaDroid wrote:I know this post is a little old but it would be great if it could carry on. I'm completely new to the hobby so if there are any essential tools or tips that you can think of I'd love to hear them. I thought it best to bump this topic rather than start a new one!

I'm pretty new to this myself (picked it up last year). When I built my Enterprise C, I had to buy so many tools and supplies. I'm still buying things as I discover the need.

As far as the absolute basics I stared with, here are some tools you'll need:

Hobby X-Acto knives of different size and shape: curved, straight, short long. Many replacement blades.

X-Acto saws in case you need to perform larger surgery on parts.

Sandpaper of various grits. Automotive shops have good sections for getting large quantities.

Emory boards (like for filing fingernails) from the drug store. Cheap in no-name brands.

Fine-point snips for cutting parts off sprues.

Fine-point tweezers.

Painters blue tape. Good for holding parts together while they dry.

A pin vice and micro drill bits. A pin vice is basically a handle for tiny drill bits.

Tamiya yellow painter's tape in the thin size. Great for painting straight lines and other edges.

Paint brushes of various sizes for painting detail. If you plan to hand paint like I do, you'll go through a ton.

Spare little bottles for mixing your own paints.

Paints and thinners, of course. Always match the right thinner type to each paint type. Don't mix different paint types.

Putty. There are opinions about which kind for diff situations. Use it for filling cracks and hiding seams.

Q-Tips. Good for swabbing.

Guinness for liquid courage.

Little clamps to hold parts together as they dry.

Micro-Sol for applying and treating decals.

Jar lids. I use these to hold tiny parts so that I don't lose them. Also good for dumping globs of glue or putty.

Google. When you don't know how to do something, there's almost certainly a tutorial video out there.

A hammer. For when you realize it's gone horribly, horribly wrong. :)

This is not an exhaustive list, though it may be exhausting. It's a start. Expect to spend lots of money. I hope this helps.

PolaDroid
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Postby PolaDroid » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:47 pm

cubey_terra wrote:I'm pretty new to this myself (picked it up last year). When I built my Enterprise C, I had to buy so many tools and supplies. I'm still buying things as I discover the need.
This is not an exhaustive list, though it may be exhausting. It's a start. Expect to spend lots of money. I hope this helps.

That's brilliant. Thanks!

Tesral wrote:Tips is a bit more difficult. I at least need an idea of what you need help with, or if something comes up with my own stuff I'll mention it.

Yeah, I appreciate it's a bit of a vague request but thanks for taking the time to reply. I suppose I'm after any of those "I wish I'd known that earlier" learning experiences.

Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Postby Xen » Mon Mar 03, 2014 12:54 am

I have no problem with folks bumping threads. ;) This thread will be tweaked and serve as a guide for the Newbie section (coming soon). The new section should serve you well.

Return to “Construction”