What putty?

Tools and techniques used for preparation and assembly.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

What putty?

Postby NCC1966 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:55 pm

I use the old "good" (well not too good IMO) Tamiya white. But I never was truly happy with it.

First it always shrinks after dry. Second it always have tiny portions "pulled out" when I sand leaving small holes. It forces me to apply a new layer and wait till it gets completely dry to sand it again. More than once I have been trapped for days in the putty-sand-putty-sand-etc process. It's so frustrating.

Dunno... Perhaps I am just doing it wrong... I normally apply it gently with a toothpick and wait 24 hs before to sand. Then I use a 320 grit dry sandpaper (hate wet sandpaper).

I would like to know what putty do you guys use that make this task less tedious and long?

Thanks!
Thanks,

Yan.

Tesral
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Re: What putty?

Postby Tesral » Tue Sep 06, 2016 4:14 am

I prefer Squadron myself. I start sanding with a coarser paper, and work down. I will also pre smooth with alcohol while it is wet.

Another method I have found for small pits like bubbles in resin is CA and baking soda. Put in the gap filling CA and sprinkle on the banking soda. I sets at once if not sooner. The bevel around the deflector on my USS Kongo was done entirely with this method.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

Cubey Terra
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby Cubey Terra » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:06 am

Tesral wrote:I prefer Squadron myself. I start sanding with a coarser paper, and work down. I will also pre smooth with alcohol while it is wet.

Another method I have found for small pits like bubbles in resin is CA and baking soda. Put in the gap filling CA and sprinkle on the banking soda. I sets at once if not sooner. The bevel around the deflector on my USS Kongo was done entirely with this method.

Good tip. What does the baking soda do to the CA glue? Is there any fizz or powder left over?

Tesral
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Postby Tesral » Tue Sep 06, 2016 6:26 am

Cubey Terra wrote:
Good tip. What does the baking soda do to the CA glue? Is there any fizz or powder left over?

It is adsorbed and gives structure to he cement. It is not real strong but will do things like restore broken areas, fill cavities, or build something up. It can be worked like normal plastic.

A technique for larger areas is cardboard and CA. Make your part from coarse cardboard like shirt backings or internal packing and soak it in CA. You get a fibrous plastic. This was used in the auto industry for rapid prototyping before 3D printing. This Guy

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby NCC1966 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 12:08 pm

My problem is mainly with seams (two parts joins)...
Thanks,

Yan.

Tesral
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Postby Tesral » Tue Sep 06, 2016 2:31 pm

This article.

http://www.scalemodelguide.com/construc ... p-fillers/

I had a very fine filler at one point and I cannot find the manufacturer any longer, so I don't want to recommend it.

Seams can be tricky. I would try the acrylic stuff.

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby NCC1966 » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:08 pm

Thanks, Tesral!

:)
Thanks,

Yan.

Cubey Terra
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby Cubey Terra » Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:41 pm

Tesral wrote:It is adsorbed and gives structure to he cement. It is not real strong but will do things like restore broken areas, fill cavities, or build something up. It can be worked like normal plastic.

A technique for larger areas is cardboard and CA. Make your part from coarse cardboard like shirt backings or internal packing and soak it in CA. You get a fibrous plastic. This was used in the auto industry for rapid prototyping before 3D printing. This Guy

I had no idea. That sounds really useful! Thanks. :thumbsup:

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Tue Sep 06, 2016 9:51 pm

I love, breathe and live for Aves Epoxy Sculpt, though I don't know how easily obtainable it will be in Brazil or whether it's cost effective to ship it to you.

Tesral wrote:Another method I have found for small pits like bubbles in resin is CA and baking soda. Put in the gap filling CA and sprinkle on the banking soda. I sets at once if not sooner. The bevel around the deflector on my USS Kongo was done entirely with this method.

I'm going to have to try this. And I hope you don't mind if I steal your deflector idea on a future build.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby trekriffic » Tue Sep 06, 2016 10:08 pm

Tesral wrote: It is absorbed and gives structure to he cement. It is not real strong but will do things like restore broken areas, fill cavities, or build something up. It can be worked like normal plastic.

Cool! I love these old school techniques!
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

Return to “Construction”