Never trust a store clerk!

Painting methods, display options and general tweaks.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Re: Never trust a store clerk!

Post by NCC1966 »

el gato wrote:You also don't know if they're under pressure from management to push a certain product
I am sure that in my specific case that wasn't the reason.
Thanks,

Yan.
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

I trust few clerks, and not at random hardware stores. Nakin I might trust as they are as much hobby as hardware.

But half a century of doing this I have learned what to use and want to avoid.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
Commodore Red
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Commodore Red »

Geeeze I went to the LHS to get some dcal setting solution.....all I got was blank looks......I have bought the stuff there prevously and they sell tons of plastic model kits......WTH?!?!?!?
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

Commodore Red wrote:Geeeze I went to the LHS to get some dcal setting solution.....all I got was blank looks......I have bought the stuff there prevously and they sell tons of plastic model kits......WTH?!?!?!?
This is another thing I hate, when you ask some product and the clerk stair at you as if you were a lunatic.

:x
Thanks,

Yan.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

Commodore Red wrote:Geeeze I went to the LHS to get some dcal setting solution.....all I got was blank looks......I have bought the stuff there prevously and they sell tons of plastic model kits......WTH?!?!?!?
You'd think some of the more enterprising and sales oriented clerks would be interested in finding out what you meant and asked: "Perhaps we could order you up some, using our store discount!"
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

Not all LHSs are created equal. I miss West Point Hobby something fierce. Mike the guy behind the counter forever was a font of knowledge. "Hey, Mike what is the difference between these liquid cements? He knew. Need an air brush, he new. Mike is long retired,. I miss the guy.

I once asked him if he had any idea what the original plans for the Lexington and Saratoga* would have looked like. He knew, and had exactly the book that had the tracings.

If I know hobby knowledgeable staff I go to Whistle Stop or Nakin Hardware.

----
* For those not US history buffsLexington class Aircraft carries originally designed as battle cruisers but converted on the ways due to the Washington Naval Treaty of 1921
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
STR
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

Post by STR »

Moongrim wrote:Obviously he was probably getting a commission on the cheaper stuff. Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
The number of retail sales jobs with actual commissions is not larger. If it's not a $100 purchase, there probably isn't enough margin to pay anyone a spiff worth bothering over. Hobby shops? Those guys are usually in it for the passion of the hobby, not the money, because there's barely any money in that.

Return to “Finishing”