Aztecing Using Just Clear Coats

Painting methods, display options and general tweaks.
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Aztecing Using Just Clear Coats

Post by Tesral »

NCC1966 wrote:Perhaps I used the wrong word. Pick the one that you like more: gaudy, tacky, corny... something out-to-date and ridiculous... something like this...

:mrgreen:
Dude that is how we dressed in 1977.

I had this pair of green and white checked bell bottom hip huggers I absolutely loved. Looked like that, but green and white. The lapels were great for saving on air fair.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

I believe you.

But I still sustain my position... kids, don't paint your ST ships with pearl white! Unless, of course, that you are going to make a version where the captain and bridge crew would seat on such similar chairs...

:lol:
Thanks,

Yan.
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

NCC1966 wrote:I believe you.

But I still sustain my position... kids, don't paint your ST ships with pearl white! Unless, of course, that you are going to make a version where the captain and bridge crew would seat on such similar chairs...
I dig those chairs man, groovy.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

I don't get tired to believe you!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks,

Yan.
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

I've used a pearl gloss coat for a decaling base. By the time you are done with the dull coat it looks fine. It also looks pointless as the pearlesence is killed by the dull coat.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

One thing I didn't like about white pearl was the flake size and perhaps it was because I used rattle can paint. Maybe a duco (car) or similar with a smaller flake could have given to me a better result. Also (and again it may have to do with the quality of paint I used) the painting assumed a greyed tone that actually is correct, since white perls aren't really white.

The fact is that after I finish to paint my Reliant it didn't look right to me. I awaited for a few days in the hope of get used with the ship aspect but the more I waited the more it looked more horrible. It was the third time I was laying an overall paint on the ship and it was so frustrating at that point to notice that it was not still good so it passed through myind to leave it as is. However it was SO horrendous that I didn't have another option but to mask the whole crap again and restart from scratch.

Nonetheless I imagine that it may have been a matter of ship class too. Perhaps a different class show a different result. I still have two perl white rattle cans here so I may find a way to use them and I also have a partially built Enterprise E in the 1/2500 that I may try to see what happens.

I just think that the good old Constitution, Miranda and similar born to be plain white!

:roll:
Thanks,

Yan.
mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Post by mophius »

I though TOS looks better in plain white. TMP in a pearl white. Anything else in a light grey. Maybe Ent-E in a white but not base white.
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.
Hossfly72
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Hossfly72 »

I won't have time to try it for at least two weeks or so, but I have some clear iridescent type paint made for RC car bodies. I've tried it over a dark greenish gray basecoat on an old D-7 and it looked great. The type I have now goes on clear, but changes from bluish to greenish shimmer depending on the angle of the light. The plan is to completely finish the ship, decals, clear coat and all, then mask off certain panels and mist on a light coat on this stuff. There are other versions that change from blue to gold, or pink to green, etc... the blue to gold would really look nice I think.
I'll have to do some tests to see how it turns out before I put it on the model though. I seems to have a glossy surface, so possibly spray it, then decal, then Future to seal... will see how that works out.
i don't know. I'm making it up as I go.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

Don't forget to let us know about the results!

:)
Thanks,

Yan.
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

I used to use transparent blue and silver pearlescent Testors from a spray can to get metallic hull effects. I used blue pearl on my Excalibur and shot it with a semi-gloss clearcoat afterwards after decaling. It served to mute and unify the underlying blue and grey color while still having a bit of the metallic look to it:
Ambassor Class  Excalibur.jpeg
Ambassor Class Excalibur.jpeg (63.49 KiB) Viewed 2118 times
Lately though, I've gotten away from the metallic pearl clearcoats since it pretty much covers everything uniformly and now I want different areas of my ships to have different finishes. I suppose I could do a lot of masking so as to cover just the areas I want to be pearlescent but I found it's just easier to apply metallic Tamiya pastel chalks to get much the same effect without all the masking. That's how I did my Leif Ericsson, rubbing with silver and gunmetal Tamiya weathering pastels:
IMG_2600.JPG
IMG_2600.JPG (117.14 KiB) Viewed 2118 times
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

Return to “Finishing”