Dry transfer/rub-down decals

Painting methods, display options and general tweaks.
MadManMUC
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Dry transfer/rub-down decals

Post by MadManMUC »

So, I'm doing a little bit of planning ahead — not just for my current Reliant build, but also my 1/677 Voyager, as well as a 1/537 Enterprise refit and 1/1400 Enterprise-E — and what I want to do is redesign and (in many cases) expand the decal sets for each, and make Letraset-style dry transfer sheets out of them in Adobe Illustrator and the DecalPRO FX kit Ian Lawrence used on one of his 1/350 Enterprise refit builds. I'm doing this because I love the look on a finished model, versus waterslide decals.

The question I have, though, is: do any of you have experience in applying these decals over recessed (or even raised) features like deflector grids? I remember from long ago using Letraset that these things are not just gossamer thin, but extremely fragile and prone to tearing with not much more than a hard stare in its general direction.

What would be the best way to apply these things over such features? I know I'm still a long way off from this stage in my builds, but I'd rather have a plan ahead of time, and save myself the agony and frustration of not having a clue when I actually get to that stage.
DANGER. SPACE DOORS ARE CLOSED.

"I saw it done on Discovery" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
(With apologies to Tesral for nicking his sig. :mrgreen: )
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Dry transfer/rub-down decals

Post by Tesral »

I've use Letterset in it's intended first use, page layout and the stuff is fragile indeed. It was never interned to go around corners.

Waterslide has lots of support.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

Return to “Finishing”