repairing a resin kit

Scratchbuilding, kitbashing, reposing and other modifications.
trek3159
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

repairing a resin kit

Post by trek3159 »

I have a kit that the aft section didn't .....form....and I also have the same kit that it did. I'm fishing for suggestions on how to correct the unformed one. Would it be better to : (a) cut off the rest of the section, and then cast a copy off the other and then mate it on, or (b) form up a mold of the section and affix the mold to the aft end and pour resin in and hope it sets up with the other? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Re: repairing a resin kit

Post by zookman »

well if it was me and since i had 2 of them and also if its something thats still available i would use the "unformed" one and make it battle damaged lol use the worst looking parts of both kits for this one ... if the parts not real big or its not all one piece kit why not just remold the whole part ....

wonder if ya could say mold the damaged part and good part as is ... then use the one from damaged part to make another mold from that that will be a copy of damaged part .. this way you can have a 2 part mold that will have just the shape of damaged area and missing details ... then when casted it should fit right into place in damaged part .... probly more pain than its worth tho in the long run lol
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

Given the criteria would mold a replacement cut and fit. I'm not sure how resin binds to resin. And trying to pour around the existing bit would be difficult.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
Del
Starship Engineer
Starship Engineer

Post by Del »

First question would be whether the kit in question is still available. If it is, I would contact the kit maker to see about a replacement part. If you can't get a replacement part, is the cost of the molding and casting and your time worth it, or would it be just as efficient to by a new kit?

If the kit is no longer in production, and you can't seem to find anyone willing to part with theirs for a decent price, it might be worth the added hassle of molding and casting. However, do not try to attach a mold to a part and expect it to fill properly, because you will have a mess. If you must mold a part and cast it, you would be better off with removing the damaged area to a panel line or other defining feature where your replacement piece would fit naturally.

Out of curiosity, would you be willing to tell us which kit or part you are referring to? Provide a photo maybe?
Multi-Verse Models - http://www.mvmodels.biz or find me on Facebook
Retail sales of kits from Design Anomaly, Kessel Run Kits, NorthTrek Creations, Alternate Paradigms, and more!
trek3159
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by trek3159 »

it is the white one that needs the new bu...er...aft section :)
Greyryder
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Greyryder »

I'd get that gray one cleaned up just as much as possible, and make an open face mold of the rear end of it. Easy enough to cut off the unneeded bits. Just remember to cut it a little long, to make up for the width of the saw blade that you'll lose making the cut. You've got a perfect splice point, where that stern section sticks out of the larger main hull. Just cut the bad part off, right along that ledge.
Del
Starship Engineer
Starship Engineer

Post by Del »

:goodpost: What he said. Either the open face mold of the aft section of the good one and then remove and replace with the new cast. Or, since you have two, you could just be creative and make it a variant with a little help from some greeblies or other kit parts.
Multi-Verse Models - http://www.mvmodels.biz or find me on Facebook
Retail sales of kits from Design Anomaly, Kessel Run Kits, NorthTrek Creations, Alternate Paradigms, and more!
trek3159
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by trek3159 »

:shock: Hmmm.....didn't think about a variant....hmmmmm.....let's go see what's in the boneyard :lol:
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Just curious. What did you decide to do?
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
trek3159
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by trek3159 »

Been a while...kinda got off trek stuff for awhile, am currently enlarging my 1/700 scale aircraft collection......slowly. I have managed to actually complete a B-52G in vietnam era colors and am now working on a C-5 from the Alamo Wing at San Antonio. ( the special decals are killing me though :D ) When I get back to starship building (my scale changes usually last about a year) I will decide what to do...although I am kinda leaning toward the variation theme.

Return to “Customizing”