saucer-mounted deflectors

Scratchbuilding, kitbashing, reposing and other modifications.
Del
Starship Engineer
Starship Engineer

Re: saucer-mounted deflectors

Post by Del »

Steam235 wrote:Ships with non traditional defectors: Miranda and constellation. Is it coincedence they share nacelles?
Constellation and Miranda nacelles are different in a few ways, starting at the front and working to the back end.

I like your catch about non-Fed ships. It does seem kind of strange.
Multi-Verse Models - http://www.mvmodels.biz or find me on Facebook
Retail sales of kits from Design Anomaly, Kessel Run Kits, NorthTrek Creations, Alternate Paradigms, and more!
trek3159
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by trek3159 »

you know, I always thought that thing at the front of a Klingon bulb was a deflector...only to find out centuries later it is actually a weapon... :oops:
Bellerophon
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Bellerophon »

Who says it isn't a deflector? I say it is.

In fact, just because the K't'inga and KBoP fire torpedoes out of that forward opening doesn't mean that said opening isn't a deflector. Deflectors are for pushing dust and larger objects out of the path of the ship. They'd also work to propel torpedoes.
But isn't it all Klingon opera?

My modeling blog: http://bellerophon-modeler.blogspot.com/ (mostly build logs)
My other modeling blog: http://bellerophon.blog.com/ (photo galleries and links)
jkb-1
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by jkb-1 »

Bellerophon wrote:In fact, just because the K't'inga and KBoP fire torpedoes out of that forward opening doesn't mean that said opening isn't a deflector.
Or an airlock when docked to Deep Space Nine.

Just reminded again when DS9 went digital they could have added a lot more adaptor bits and details. (Run a tube around to the side hatch Kirk came out of in TVH?)
steelfox
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by steelfox »

Who says it isn't a deflector? I say it is.
And I say its retroactive late TNG/DS9 writers getting too excited about the interface between real world and Trek physics.
Reliant doesn't have a big round (or square) blue glowy bit at the front because the production designers and model makers never put one there.
It wasn't "left out by accident". It was because no where in Trek Lore at that stage did it state that every starship must have a big dish facing front as a space broom.
Their are plenty of Fed and other designs that don't have "deflectors" as such.

Counter argument:
Ships hull need protection from space crud while moving at sub-light speeds (don't go into whether you need it in Warp Space, its never even indicated there is anything in Warp Space to hit)
Known fact: Gravity and force field/force shield technology is common place in Trek.
Simple solution is to have a low power force field around the hull to splatter any particles that get in the way.
Since shields are generated from emitters all over the hull, you don't need a specific emitter at the front.

Yah, I know; "but hitting any object at near relativistic speeds creates XXXXX uber energy which will go through anything"
Think about it, shields can absorb phaser, disruptor and photon torpedo hits. Thats kinetic and energy impact well above any little bit of space-snot that drifts into your path.

Common pre Next Gen descriptor was that the dish and subsequent "blue eye" were/are a combination long range sensor + deflectors emitter and receivers. Like having radar in an aircraft, a very useful, versatile and common device but not actually essential for the plane to fly.

Maybe why explorer ships all have them whereas a more "Gunboat" orientated ship like Reliant and her sisters don't?

The real world answer is more likely you just need something visually interesting to fill in the front of the secondary hull.

Da Fox :D
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Bellerophon wrote:Who says it isn't a deflector? I say it is.
And you would be correct. I read an article where the Jefferies and the filming model makers intended for that opening to be the Klingon equivalent of the Enterprise's deflector dish. It wasn't until TAS where some animator got creative and decided that the opening was a photon torpedo launcher... and that idea was carried over into TMP.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
trek3159
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by trek3159 »

I saw somewhere it was explained that the forward looking leg on the under saucer planetary sensor array was an auxiliary deflector........I can almost buy into that....except it looked like spotlights just like the Enterprise's. I suppose it could be turned blue to represent a deflector, which is probably what I will do with all the Miranda-ish hulled ships that I have (Hippocrates class, Dakota class, and whatever my R2 Reliant becomes).
Kremin
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Kremin »

I am building a 1:350 refit transport tug and was debating what to do about the deflector, after a couple of tries I came up with this kit bash solution that I liked

Cubey Terra
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Post by Cubey Terra »

Kremin wrote:I am building a 1:350 refit transport tug and was debating what to do about the deflector, after a couple of tries I came up with this kit bash solution that I liked
Cool solution. I'd love to see more photos of that (maybe in a new thread).
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

Kremin wrote:I am building a 1:350 refit transport tug and was debating what to do about the deflector, after a couple of tries I came up with this kit bash solution that I liked

That.

Is just too cool! :shock: 8-)
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

Return to “Customizing”