My 1/350 TOS Enterprise.

Work in progress, completed builds and general 1/350 related discussion.
Jim Kirk
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

My 1/350 TOS Enterprise.

Post by Jim Kirk »

My 1/350 Original series Enterprise build. I wanted to capture the look of the actual miniature as seen in the classic episodes so using my vast reference library collected over the years, I painted the model a select group of custom mixed paints, Air Brushed. I also adjusted the lighting as it was way to bright to reflect correct scale. The images were done with the goal of having a 3D Effect and recreating the not perfect look of the effect shots used in the series. Also careful external lighting was used to have the Model be an actual part of the background and not look like it was just cropped in the final shot.
Last edited by Jim Kirk on Sun Mar 24, 2019 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MEATLOAFr
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Re: My 1/350 TOS Enterprise.

Post by MEATLOAFr »

looking good
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!
Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
ABLE TO PRINT DECALS IN WHITE
NOW ABLE TO 3D PRINT SMALL SCALE MODELS (ANYCUBIC PHOTON & MONO X) have STL, will print!!
Jim Kirk
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Jim Kirk »

kobayashimaru wrote:Excellent work and thanks for sharing! :D
is this a physical model, or computer generated model? the final edit and image finish is so series-like that I honestly can't tell.
Its a good thing you shared these back in the day (otherwise i'd have thought it a completely 3D generated image):

Have you built any other 1/350 vessels, such as the Saladin type or a TOS-Miranda, or TOS-Oberth?

I don't often drop the Derek Meddings comparison bomb, but you should be working with the people on Star Trek: New Voyages over on Youtube (not so much Star Trek Continues... *shudders* not a fan of the direction that project journeyed)
or maybe even on Star Trek: Renegades (the Tim Russ sequel to ST: Of Gods and Men) - if that becomes a webisodic show like Nuka Break or BSG became.
New Voyages may even begin using 'actual' lazers in the phazer props to trigger the squibs of the VFX, that'd be awesome and add to the verisimilitude of the show. on a related tangent, would realworld lazers fit inside a 1/350 model of enterprise... you can perhaps see where that line of inquiry is headed...

Cheers!
Kobayashimaru

First, Many, Many thanks for the kind words my friend. I sincerely appreciate it. It is indeed a Physical model and not computer generated. And it is that Build you posted with the 1/350 Refit.
I would love to part of that Trek stuff you mention. As a matter of fact I will be doing some effects shots/videos using the same methods as we saw in the original series.

Thanks again!
Jim Kirk
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Jim Kirk »

My 1/350 Enterprise build...

And something I thought was very cool.

https://deepspacedeepsouth.wordpress.co ... ally-well/
Jim Kirk
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Jim Kirk »

My personal 1/350 Original series Star Trek Enterprise. I photographed the model against an appropriate backdrop to highlight my color choices. I'll have fun with her in a star field soon, but I wanted just to show off the finished model. Using reference material I have collected over the years I custom mixed Tamiya and Model Master paints, through an air brush. The lighting has been adjusted for correct scale as well as the weathering, again per the original filming miniature.

[
Last edited by Jim Kirk on Mon Dec 07, 2020 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim Kirk
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Jim Kirk »

please delete.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Honestly, I thought those were still shots
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
Jim Kirk
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Jim Kirk »

el gato wrote:Honestly, I thought those were still shots

Many Thanks!
Jim Kirk
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Jim Kirk »

Again, Many Thanks indeed!

Here are several pics of the model without the "enhancements" (Star field, Tholian web, Phasers)Against the black background I photographed it in front of...
Jim Kirk
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Jim Kirk »

kobayashimaru wrote:I have to ask...
is there an accompanying Botany Bay for this? :D
or a Saladin/Antares type, or even more potentially awesome - a TOS-era Miranda type.
What do you feel about the Ticonderonga type, or the Constitution Dreadnaught-type, or the Heavy Miranda Type (its a federation shuttle tender)? In StarFleet Academy, the Game by interplay, they were available as either TOS or TMP types, and in ST:Legacy, a couple make guest appearances...

Perhaps you have some TOS/TMP era designs you'd like to try in 1/350?
Another project atm underway is a TOSstyle Kelvin...
maybe you could do some asteroids (such as that huge generation-ship asteroid in the TOS show) or satellites/relay stations and objects? or a spacedock?
I believe there is actually a Botany Bay kit in scale available(Or I could scratch Build it). Not really interested in any other designs, I do love the Refit, and have built several.

Return to “1/350”