1/350 Daedalus?

Work in progress, completed builds and general 1/350 related discussion.
andyh
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: 1/350 Daedalus?

Postby andyh » Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:28 pm

Nova, did you go Airfix or Revell for the stack?

Andy

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby novahobbies » Sat Aug 15, 2015 11:22 pm

andyh wrote:Nova, did you go Airfix or Revell for the stack?

Andy

I got the early Revell kit.

zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby zookman » Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:26 pm

found the daedalus kit i got .. its missing the nacells and pylons ... not sure who made it or what scale it would be .. would like to find the missing parts if possible so i can finish her

100_3998_zpsa0869148.JPG
100_3998_zpsa0869148.JPG (99.38 KiB) Viewed 1766 times

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby novahobbies » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:10 am

Zooks, that is most definitely the 1/650 scale Daedalus that I produced from 1997 to 2002 (dates are guestimates). Bad news tho brother -- I don't think I still have the molds for those engines. I MIGHT.....but I'm 90% sure they got chipped and reused when I stopped casting that model. Next time I get the ladder up to the attic I will try to sneak a peak.

zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby zookman » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:33 am

ok cool thanks

GimpyJohn
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Postby GimpyJohn » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:18 am

Years ago, I started gathering parts for a 35 inch or so Daedalus-class ship. Eventually, I collected everything needed to build one. But I inexplicatively lost interest in the project.

Years later (as in now), I've become interested in that project again. Only I'm interested in a 1/350th design of a later ship meant to replace the Daedalus-class, one that is about 850 feet long, but with the same basic shape as the Daedalus.

A ship that is not an explorer, not a front-line starship like the Enterprise, but is a dedicated colony-support vessel. A big, powerful, well-armed ship, filled with Army Corp of Engineer-type officers to can defend a colony, or rebuild one. Lotsa doctors, and butt-loads of cloned animals and plants to easily rebuild a damaged new world.

It is a Daedalus-type of ship Just much bigger, much more powerful, and a lot better armed.

If ya wanna, Discuss.....

Tesral
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Postby Tesral » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:43 pm

Lots of internal space. You need a huge hanger for all the shuttles and big ones at that. You might consider a pair of huge landing tenders that attach like remora fish. Tucked in and protected, but not inside the hull.

Also consider the secondary function of a landing assault ship. Colony support and invasions are similar, but with varying levels of violence. Such a vessel is going to be expensive. You want as much utility from it as you can.

I would think such a ship would be pushing the limits of the early 23rd century.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

GimpyJohn
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Postby GimpyJohn » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:52 pm

Tesral: very good points.

If you expand the size of the Daedalus-class to 850+ feet in length, I believe that the primary (spherical) hull would be sufficiently large enough to contain the entire crew, leaving almost the entire secondary hull as cargo space --and that would be a lot of open area.

Excellent idea about the hull-mounted shuttles. I'm going to incorporate that concept into my model....

Actually, I don't think that this idea pushes the limits of 23rd Century tech. Especially since the patrol area of colony-support ships would be closer to Federation space than Constitution-class patrol routes (for the most part), so they would be closer to potential aid and assistance. I don't believe that this type of vessel would necessarily have to be as technologically advanced as, say, a Constitution-class. After all, they wouldn't have to be on a five-year mission into unexplored space. I don't imagine that they would even have a large, dedicated science section. They're not studying stuff; they're a crew of construction workers, doctors, and soldiers, probably in that order as far as numbers are concerned. I'm thinking that the soldiers would also serve as military advisers, much like our present-day troops in Iraq, et. al., teaching the colonists to defend their own worlds.

I just had a thought concerning the hull-mounted shuttles: perhaps they should carry several impulse-powered fighter craft that could be left on a colony world to enhance their defensive capabilities. Such ships could, in theory, keep invaders stalled at orbital distances while distress calls were made, presumably bringing warp-capable starships to fight off attackers.

I dunno. It's just my silly hienie blue-skying. I'm open to anybody's thoughts.

Thanks for commenting, Tesral.

kobayashimaru
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby kobayashimaru » Sat Nov 14, 2015 2:57 am

@GimpyJohn;
wow! that sounds like a great idea!
a Daedulus refit/daedulus 2.0
is the ship to be from the Daedulus era (pre TOS), or, in some other era, such as ST:TNG or TMP lost era?
did you have any rough sketches or photo ref at all?

being built with boarding actions and ship-to-ship combat in mind,
that'd be a sweet variant in the daedulus style of ship. It reminds me of the Olympic Class variants from ST:Online.
it'd also be sweet to see as a repair ship/colony ship

:ugeek: caution... I've always thought the sphere part of the Daedulus could be like the spherical landing 'bathysphere' from
Mechwarrior, or the Core Landing Sphere from the Lucrehulk-CISbattleship :lol:

zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby zookman » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:05 am

heres a thought .. maybe the colony ship can actualy be designed as a big self contained unit containing massive cargo bays for cargo .. a couple top mounted shuttlebays for shuttles and such .. pretty much a flat bottom for the ship .. then once ship reaches destination . have the warp drive section and main control section detach and stay in orbit till the colony part lands .. then once its settled down to ground level crews can begine unloading materials and equipment to build the rest of the colony .. crews and colonists reside in the ship until planet side quarters and facilities are built.. the colony ship can either take off for reuse or stay where it is and be used as part of the colony or even craft should a major emergency arise .. the colony ship would only be impulse power but a call to home base should get a warp transport enrout quick

Return to “1/350”