1/350 Daedalus?

Work in progress, completed builds and general 1/350 related discussion.
GimpyJohn
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Re: 1/350 Daedalus?

Postby GimpyJohn » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:43 pm

Wow, Zookman! Great ideas! I especially like the bulk of the ship as an impulse lander.

You gotta real nice brain, there, fellah!

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby novahobbies » Sun Sep 18, 2016 7:42 pm

You know, while I was waiting for paint to dry on the Ares, I pulled the parts out for this so I could start measuring and printing plans for the large scale 1/350-ish Daedalus. The trouble is, there is no clear plan for this. There have been multiple versions of blueprints for this model, each with their own idea of size and scale, and they're not even consistent between plan views from the same artist. The closest we've come to a studio model is the study model that was built for the Encyclopedia, later shown in Sisko's office at DS9. That's about as canon as we can get, but as no one has taken plans directly from that model, we don't have a consistent schematic.

The closest I've been able to find (and that which is aesthetically balanced as well) is the Jackill's prints. At least his seem to have a consistent internal logic. But even HIS leaves the primary globe too small -- by over half an inch at this size, in fact.

Eh, I'm just whinging here. I'm going to print out the plans based on the secondary hull and the engine diameter, since I KNOW those are going to be built from the Shuttle kit. As for the primary hull, I guess I may either have to keep my 4" ball, or look around for a 3.3 inch clear globe to match his plans. Amazon sells 3.5" globes; maybe I'll make 2 primary hulls and see which one looks the best. Dammit, why didn't I just buy the resin model back when it was available.

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby novahobbies » Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:04 pm

I take it back. Even on Jackill's plans, the sphere is smaller in relation to the secondary hull on the aft view plans than it is on the fore view or side view plans. Arrrgh. Didn't know these were drawn as perspective plans, maybe???

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:48 pm

I don't think you'll be able to find a consistent measurement because none was ever established. I've heard the length was either 105 m or 140 m. You'll just have to decide what looks good and go with it (I chose 140 m). Here's a drawing someone made (via ex-astris):

Then there's this one (from trekbbs):

RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby novahobbies » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:18 am

HERE we go. I knew this was around somewheres. Including CGI shots produced by Doug Drexler, taken from measurements of the desktop model. THIS is what I was looking for!!

The Steve Neill model was a thing of beauty, and it's a shame his Youtube vids about it are gone for good, but I'm grateful this thread still exists. My model will be done with similar parts using the 1/144 Shuttle. It may not be spot on for 1/350, but it will definitely be close enough and a good looker next to the TOS E.

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=114026&page=2

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Mon Sep 19, 2016 2:31 am

Thanks for sharing this link. Tons of reference photos and it's neat what Steve did to build his. But dang it, I did not need to know there was a copper ring on the aft end of the Daedalus...

RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby novahobbies » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:42 am

I agree, the views for the rear end of the ship look pretty good. This is somewhat similar to the 1/650 scale resin Daedalus I built some time ago. I used the Jackill's plans for it at the time, which I still really like. But for that model, the whole back end between the impulse vents was just a scribed sheet for a shuttle hatch, which in retrospect isn't too realistic.

I've built two Daedalus models in my time - the 1/650 scale one, and a 1/1400 scale version as well. I'm looking forward to trying my hand at a large scale one-off model of this design. I went ahead and placed an order from Kit Kraft today for two 3 3/4" acrylic hemispheres, plus a 5 pack of 1" hemispheres for the nacelles. The 3 3/4 inch hemispheres are a better option than those clear ornament halves. The ornament parts I found were a little too large (4 inches) and they're not perfectly round. I figure, if I'm gonna do this, might as well make it look good. :D

Next on my order list is a simple nacelle flasher setup from eBay. I'm going to keep the lighting simple on this; just a 1hz flashing LED for the formation lights, strip LED for the window lighting, and cheap RGB flashers for the nacelles, and we'll see how it goes!

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby novahobbies » Sat Oct 01, 2016 8:34 pm

The gathering phase of this project is almost done. Kit-Kraft's acrylic spheres are here and suitably impressive -- almost afraid to drill in to the main hull when that time comes! The smaller 1 inch hemispheres will fit perfectly over the SRB donor parts for the warp nacelles, and I won the auction for the "cheap" nacelle flasher circuit. It's a simple 3-LED RGB flasher, not sure if I'll keep the RGB color or decolorize the LEDs. I'm definitely painting the bussard domes red, so I'm not sure if it's worth adding extra color. Guess we're going to fine out!

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:30 am

Looking forward to the build pics!

BTW, don't sell your build short. That's a great looking Daedalus, especially for one that is full conjecture

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby novahobbies » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:47 am

el gato wrote:Looking forward to the build pics!

BTW, don't sell your build short. That's a great looking Daedalus, especially for one that is full conjecture

I'm still mildly irritated by the number of different dimensions the ship has from blueprint to blueprint. At this point I've decided to move forward with a "this looks good for MY MODEL" mentality and not worry too very much about the smaller details. The one I will be following most closely is the classic Steve Neill version, since it looks best to me.

The flasher circuit I bought runs best on 3.5v, according to the manufacturer. I build most of my projects to run on 12 volts or 9. Which means I need to burn off 5.5 volts assuming I run a 9 volt system. :oops: Not ideal, but I'll probably just step it down with a large resistor and accept the fact that I'm wasting power.

Return to “1/350”