1/350th Refit Cutaway

Work in progress, completed builds and general 1/350 related discussion.
Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Re: 1/350th Refit Cutaway

Postby Steam235 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:08 pm

Apologies for the amount of pictures but I wanted to document each step on this part.

To start things off I had to do some cutting. Big risk, the moment the saw hits plastic I have to be committed to the project because there's no putting the saucer back together. BUt to even see if it will work I need the saucer cut open. So I marked my cuts and went to work.

Once I had cut the saucer open I was able to trace the saucer's profile onto paper. I had contemplated using blue prints on the net, or getting my wife to put it in cad, but once she was cut open it became a matter of old school measuring and planning.

Once I had my measurements I was able to use my old compass to start cutting some styrene.

As this was just for practice I cut some rough spacers. When I get to building the decks for real I'll make sure each one is a precise 8mm. decks floors are 1mm thick which scales to about 13 inches. and 8mm spacers will give just about 9foot decks.
The spacers will represent turbo lifts and I will build walls between the decks.

This was mostly proof of concept and to check the fit of the decks.

Looks like my cut out might even fit back on if I think of a way to attach it.

kobayashimaru
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby kobayashimaru » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:22 am

neat! this is shaping up.
It's a huge ship... and to think the Galaxy Class is 4 of those put together,
(and, the sovereign as a 800-900m craft would be 7 and a bit again).
it'd be cool if the omitted parts were in that ultra-clear packaging plastic, so still there, just 'cloaked' :lol:

forgive a brief digression into decks;
9ft decks? awesome! for taller or alien crew people.
on-screen, they look to be closer to 7ft4-8ft in some parts.
in other parts, almost 6ft 2 - just taller than a tall humanoid - which can be a typical clearance elsewhere.
that said, 9ft as a deck might also include those jeffries tubes and conduits around the ship.
Ent D had huge ceilings, as did nutrekprise.
TOS and Ent A looked 'middle of the road', and with average sized ceilings
Voyager had much more cramped decks, and Defiant/ST:Ent... those look so cramped. Worf'd have a hard time on defiant (maybe he just beams everywhere?) Defiant was more like an ironclad or a patrol ship (duty role description of a lot of vessels, just to differentiate with Ent or the Galaxy class, which are larger warships)
At least there's no water-tight/'spacetight' lips to doors etc, to trip over or hit the noggin into...

Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Postby Steam235 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:28 am

Hmm, I guess I could scale the decks down a bit

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby Drop_Bear » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:28 am

You know, a 350 scale Connie primary hull would make a good starting point for a 1000 scale mushroom shaped starbase. :thinking: Make the rim a little taller... lop off the B/C deck and replace it with a conical cylinder topped with a geodesic dome... construct a stalk with four 1000 scale Connie saucers on four arms and cap it with a sphere with the top third missing... have a Scotch... add four, maybe five docking arms to the big saucer... large shuttlebays... Movie Era runabouts and shuttles... have another Scotch and admire your work... What a bugger the donor kits would deprive you of AU$500! :cry:

But anyway...

Keep posting these pictures, Steam. I, for one, love seeing them. Pictures are more powerful story tellers than words.
"On the internet, no one knows you're a cat." - Intentional misquote of a popular adage.

My flikr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132558716@N02/albums

Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Postby Steam235 » Mon Nov 16, 2015 7:41 pm

ok I've reduced the deck height to fit in more decks. I've also started laying out some walls and rooms.

The cut on the left cuts through a hallway so you see the outside wall that faces the corridor. The cut on the left cuts through rooms so you don't see out side walls.

At first I thought their was supposed to be a hallway running through the center 90 degrees off the main line. So I was trying to put that in. The other cutaways don't have that hallway So I might remove that.

Basic walls for three decks...

taped together.
Last edited by Steam235 on Wed Nov 18, 2015 6:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Postby Moongrim » Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:18 pm

Wowzers. I just realized what level of detail you're devoting here.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

kobayashimaru
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby kobayashimaru » Tue Nov 17, 2015 3:12 am

thanks for sharing the plans, Steam235
those are hyperdetailed! :D
the decks are looking AWESOME, they almost mirror the laurel wreath of the UFP's flag hehehe

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby Drop_Bear » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:06 am

Hyper-detail is the hyphenated word. What are your plans here? Are you going to make the corridors the correct shape? Will you be putting doors and furniture in? Figures? Lights? Or are we going to have to wait and see what happens?
"On the internet, no one knows you're a cat." - Intentional misquote of a popular adage.

Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Postby Steam235 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:25 am

Nothing that detailed at all. I don't even think it'll be as detailed as what Stuart did on that 537th, The plans are something I found on line that I'm using to make sure I have the right amount of decks and that things are basicly in the right areas btu I won't be that detailed. I think it will end up somewhere around as detailed as the AMT TOS cutaway

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby Drop_Bear » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:12 am

I honestly can't blame you for wanting to do things the simple way. To super-detail a cutway like that guy did would involve many, many man hours of eye-melting work. I just assumed you were doing something like that... you know, because of the plans. Where did you find those, by the way? This looks so fun that you have me seriously considering doing a hyper-detailed cutaway of a Refit. :lol:

Return to “1/350”