E-Refit Lighting Advice

Work in progress, completed builds and general 1/350 related discussion.
patrickivan
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

E-Refit Lighting Advice

Postby patrickivan » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:04 pm

Hi- I can't afford a lighting kit. I really can't. And I'm trying to find ways to light my E. It doesn't have to be over done.

I've got some fiber optics that I have a plan for. They're for the very subtle interiour scenes I want. Small soft lighting in some of the windows, and some of the interiour scenes that I don't want to be blasted with bright light. That I'm okay for.

It's the other stuff. The wiring plans for running lights, shuttle deck, and Nav dish.

Did I say simple? LOL.

Anyway, I'm hoping someone with some wiring knowledge can point me in the right direction here. I really want to get my model going again, but I'm kinda stuck until I figure this out.

I've procrastinated long enough.

Thanks
"I drink to make people interesting"

George Nathan

asmcelhinney
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Re: E-Refit Lighting Advice

Postby asmcelhinney » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:41 pm

Leds and components are cheap. I have recently come to the conclusion that I'm not forking out over the odds for lighting kits (no matter how good or we'll respected they are), especially when shipping to the UK, customs and time increase the cost significantly.

There are lots of resources online for building circuits with 555 timer chips, it might be a good thing to look into. Alternatively, as I just have, you could look into Arduino programmable boards. Again, there's a lot of info out there worth googling for.

$40 - $100 for a lighting kit plus shipping or an Arduino Nano for less than £4 and the negligible cost of leds etc.
"No matter where you go, there you are."

My fledgling YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/user/PapanurgleForums

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Postby Moongrim » Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:15 pm

The biggest cost for the commercial variety- is that someone is making a profit on a system they designed themselves.

If you can afford the experimentation to make your own, go for it. First off- always insure that your LED's have a resistor - otherwise you're going to be ripping a model apart to replace it.

http://www.starshipmodeler.com/tech/techmain.htm
(scroll down halfway the page).
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

Greyryder
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby Greyryder » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:43 am

Moongrim wrote:First off- always insure that your LED's have a resistor - otherwise you're going to be ripping a model apart to replace it.

I'm sorry. This is rapidly becoming a pet peeve, of mine. As long you're not dumping more power into your circuit, than your LEDs are rated for, you don't need a resistor. This can be done with the power source, voltage regulators, or resistors. I have LEDs that run natively at 3.3 volts, and they'll run happily all day, on a couple of AAs.

DefiantClient
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby DefiantClient » Wed Feb 03, 2016 2:59 am

This is why I don't light my models. I know jack squat about electronics and hardware.

Moongrim

Postby Moongrim » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:18 pm

I envy you the perfect LED's greyryder, after having had to replace the same darned LED thrice from a battery operated lighting system...
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

patrickivan
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby patrickivan » Wed Feb 03, 2016 7:50 pm

Lighting is a PIA... And it's funny, because I added interior mounted running lights to the front and back of my Escape. But I can't seem to wrap my head around my stupid model. LOL.

I'm going to try to use as much fibre optic as is reasonable. Just because if those light sources go, they're easy to replace as they're located in the base. Maybe I'll mount the main deflector in a way to give me access to that light if needed.

I'll probably only use static lights. No blinkies.

Ugh.
"I drink to make people interesting"

George Nathan

Moongrim

Postby Moongrim » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:19 pm

For what it's worth- it was the 'blinkie' light on my 350 Refit (Ventral) that was being the sore spot.
- J.L.Picard.

littleyoda99
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby littleyoda99 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 4:36 pm

Greyryder wrote:
Moongrim wrote:First off- always insure that your LED's have a resistor - otherwise you're going to be ripping a model apart to replace it.

I'm sorry. This is rapidly becoming a pet peeve, of mine. As long you're not dumping more power into your circuit, than your LEDs are rated for, you don't need a resistor. This can be done with the power source, voltage regulators, or resistors. I have LEDs that run natively at 3.3 volts, and they'll run happily all day, on a couple of AAs.

While this is true, it is never a bad idea to make sure that your LEDs are protected. Only takes one accidental overpowering to fry things otherwise.

This is also one reason why I have for most things switched to using LED strips. Don't have to worry about resistors with those, since built in.

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby trekriffic » Thu Feb 04, 2016 7:22 pm

If I were you I'd buy a light kit from Tenacontrols:

http://tenacontrols.com/page20.html

For 40 bucks you get a board that runs both strobes and nav lights. He even gives you the LEDs. You just need to provide the wiring. Usually the light kit will include a diagram showing where the strobes and nav lights go too.
This is a very reasonable price for what you get.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

Return to “1/350”