1/350 Reliant.

Work in progress, completed builds and general 1/350 related discussion.
andyh
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: 1/350 Reliant.

Post by andyh »

Yes, those little slots are the ones :)

Kremin, I have to cut mine open so I'll have to mount the full saucer inside the rear part. The main reason I opened mine up, is because my hull arrived terribly warped and sucken in the area between the bridge and warp crystal. It has sunk down a full 2cm so I'll have to make some sort of gig and then heat up the rear hull and slowly get it back to "flat". I'll then build in some scaffolding to stop it warping again.

Andy
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

So what's wrong with drilling a pilot hole? And then using a round rat-tail file to enlarge it?

As to drill sizes.
They make tiny drill bits and the mandrel to hold it:

Don't forget - Forced Perspective.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
andyh
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by andyh »

Here lies the problem. To drill the pilot holes, you need to be at right angle to the side of the shuttle bay opening. Nothing is that small to fit inside the shuttle bay opening.

You could drill them at an angle but then it might change the little openings to ovals rather than circles and slots.

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

So you're trying to keep the shuttle bay doors intact?
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
andyh
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by andyh »

Not necessarily. I'm still pondering the best way around this problem :)

Andy
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

I didn't get what you are trying to do, but whatever it is just forget about this "Dremel multichuck 4486". It is a piece of junk. After a FEW uses the three teeth (or fingers or whatever) that hold the bits gets misaligned forcing you to push them back and align it manually every time you lose the chuck. A bit more later than that it will become completely useless.

:evil:

I know this because months ago I bought one to my Black & Decker RTX (yeah, it fits perfectly) and after a couple times using it I ended disposing it because it became completely crappy and impossible to use. The other day I was in need of attach a thin drill bit in my machine and had forgotten how bad it was and thought about to order another one. Fortunately I found a ton of people cursing about this in the Dremel webpage and gave up of the idea.

If even so you still decide to buy one, just remember that you were warned!

:mrgreen:
Thanks,

Yan.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

I've been using the Dremel Collet Nut kit for several years. Still am.
- J.L.Picard.
Greyryder
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Greyryder »

Have two mutli-chucks here, on separate Dremels, both working fine. One's the newer style, and one's the older style. I also have one of the older ones that does exactly what you described.

It's still better than constantly changing out to the right size collet.
patrickivan
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by patrickivan »

Find a long sewing needle in the diametre you're seeking, bend the tip 90 degrees, heat it up, poke your holes, then clean the left over plastic that pulls out.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

Heated needles? Good thinking.
- J.L.Picard.

Return to “1/350”