1/2500 Federation Starbase INCOMPLETE

Each participant will have their own Work in Progress thread, which will be updated as the contest progresses. Please note that spectators aren't allowed to start new threads, but can reply to existing ones.
Cullenszoo
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Re: 1/2500 Federation Starbase

Post by Cullenszoo »

that will be cool!
Building hand painted dust collectors since 1977
patrickivan
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by patrickivan »

Thanks!

So I did a scale drawing. I'm not entirely happy with the upper structure.
I'm going to have to think about this...
Cullenszoo
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by Cullenszoo »

Your concept is really cool. I think I see what your having issues with. maybe instead of frisbees you might look at plastic plates or something like that?
Building hand painted dust collectors since 1977
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

Second hand shops, Dollar Stores, and Flea Markets can be a good source for alternative parts.

My BEST EVER mounting stand that I used for my 350 Refit was found at a St. Vincent.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by zookman »

or maybe a different styl frisbe i have some that are kinda flat with a raised center kinda like the old ufo type style ... maybe one of those on bottom would make it not so tall and have that fltter look ya looking for... or maybe a biggier dia frisbe for top and let them over lap and fill in the bottom space so its flat wont be as thick and have a cool profile
DouglasGlenn
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by DouglasGlenn »

Love the sketches. Always fun to see how something like this comes together. You never know what kinds of shapes you'll find to add to it as you look around at objects on store shelves. I've seen spray bottles that might make a good shape for the vertical shaft.
Jason Abbadon
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Jason Abbadon »

A word of advice- thr softer plastics of "found objects" like Frisbees don't take to rattlecan paints or primers well- that's why you need a bloody miracle to get the paint to set...luckily for you, I have found such a thing and it's cheap- Duplicolor automotive spray paint for vinyl and plastic (available at most automotive chain stores).
It's amazing stuff- I use it for customizing action figures and such and it dries rock hard on even "rubberized" plastics.
After the base coat you can apply acrylic or enamel spray paint and have it dry perfectly.

Happy modeling- I'm looking forward to seeing this completed!
patrickivan
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by patrickivan »

Thanks for the compliments and words of advice. I wish I had more progress to post, but I was ill and recovering for a while. Just didn't have it in me. Now followed by catch up errands. :evil:

I'm really enjoying the competition threads though. Man, there's a lot of good ideas people are working on here. :)
patrickivan
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by patrickivan »

Just a wee update. There will be some modifications to the starbase. But it's coming along.

Return to “TBG Contest Entries”