1/1000 Excelsior based scout - DONE!

Each participant will have their own Work in Progress thread, which will be updated as the contest progresses. Please note that spectators aren't allowed to start new threads, but can reply to existing ones.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Re: 1/1000 Excelsior based scout

Postby Moongrim » Tue May 28, 2013 12:26 pm

Definitely coming along.

Query- would a scout ship need so many phaser turrets?
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Postby Steam235 » Wed May 29, 2013 4:34 am

Moongrim wrote:Definitely coming along.

Query- would a scout ship need so many phaser turrets?

Here's the thing, I don't know much about distinguishing between scout, cruiser. light cruiser, heavy cruiser, corvette, etc. From what I gather different different roleplaying games and star trek online have various definitions.

My idea was to kinda make a ship like the Reliant. Smaller not supplied enough to stay in deep space running errands for branches of Starfleet.

Now I'm thinking this would be a patrol ship, maybe doing a patrol between 5 or six systems. Offering repairs to small crafts, armed enough to hold ground against small pirate groups or keep the peace amongst the territories.

Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Postby Steam235 » Wed May 29, 2013 7:27 pm

The nacelles are a work in progress. But the ship's concept is becoming clear to me. This is the wild west stage coach. the general supply ship.

Perhaps the Aurora Class? Denver Class?

A Galaxy Class ship might have dropped off a colony and it's terraforming equip. But the Aurora Class ship is the one coming back every 8 months keeping the colony afloat.

When you're a merchant vessel, running into trouble outside of the main trade lines, the Aurora class is the ship Starfleet is sending.

It will never visit the Romulan Border, or initiate a First Contact. But will it have to defend a convoy from a rogue Ferengi? Yup.

ImageImage
ImageImage

Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Postby Steam235 » Wed May 29, 2013 7:35 pm

So what do you think?

Has the ship class name Aurora or Denver been taken yet?

What would this be, not a scout, is it a freighter? Light Cruiser?

Moongrim

Postby Moongrim » Wed May 29, 2013 8:38 pm

So what do you think?

Has the ship class name Aurora or Denver been taken yet?

What would this be, not a scout, is it a freighter? Light Cruiser?
-----------------------------------

I'd say the work is nicely done on it.

The Aurora? Yes: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Aurora_(NC-17740)
The Denver? Also Yes: http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Yorkshire_class
If you're trying for a state of Colorado city name try this for some inspiration: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ci ... n_Colorado

Though I'd recommend to avoid using Morg County as an inspiration- for obvious reasons. :)

Ummm rough guess: Light Cruiser "In starship classification, a light cruiser is a small- to medium-sized multi-purpose starship." http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Light_cruiser
Sounds like something that the Starfleet Board of Colonisation would have under their employ.
A Multi-purpose ship. Configurable with multiple modules for different missions.

But this just my opinion. This is your ship.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Fri May 31, 2013 4:07 pm

Neat idea! I like the back story you've created for it: a light, fast, multipurpose ship that can patrol, carry cargo and supplies and engage traders. Sort of like a Starfleet version of a Jeep. Can't wait to see it painted and with decals.

As for the names... Hmmm... don't have a suggestion for you at the moment.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Gmeister
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby Gmeister » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:23 am

I'm on fence on this one but it grows on you as last pics has nice feel to it ;)

Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Postby Steam235 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:33 pm

Late in 2290..
Starfleet had a new Aurora Class support ship ready to launch. They had talented young XO being groomed for the captains chair. He just neededa bit more mission time to fill out his experience.

IN the twilight of his career Commander Kyle was given a command, more based on his retirement date and willingness to step aside for his XO. The pedigree of having served with Captains Kirk Spock Scott and Sulu certainly didn't hurt.

The new captain Kyle only asked for one accommodation...

A chance to redeem the name of his former ship.

NCC-1864-B

ImageImageImage
Last edited by Steam235 on Tue Jul 02, 2013 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Moongrim

Postby Moongrim » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:16 am

Steam, if you're done with it, be sure to edit your original title to include: DONE!
- J.L.Picard.

Return to “TBG Contest Entries”