1/72 movie era runabout INCOMPLETE

Each participant will have their own Work in Progress thread, which will be updated as the contest progresses. Please note that spectators aren't allowed to start new threads, but can reply to existing ones.
Vahmp
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Re: 1/72 movie era runabout

Postby Vahmp » Fri May 03, 2013 2:15 am

KOOL ship there Zookman!

(Personaly) I like the big side windows and cockpit window!
They would give it an observatory window type look, since your shuttle is to be a turist type...
And the headlights seem to be just in scale to become the new cockpit windows.

Image.. a shuttle with atrium type windows. :lol:
Laterz...
Vahmp

zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby zookman » Fri May 03, 2013 3:03 am

i may drop the docking collar since its being a pain but i havnt giving up on that yet lol if i do then ill just add the main cabin doors to the rear or have it the impulse drive area ... got the bottom pretty much filled in and have to do the top once i get rear end worked out .... im now thinking maybe having the sides from maybe waist level while standing or are rest level while seated and wrap around the top to each side so its all glassed in but will have some internal bracing and structual members ... roughly about 4-6 scale inches or about 1/8 in square stock with rounded edges ( for safty ) .. once i get floor laid out and bracing figured and glued to top ill just cut out the windows and add a layer of sheet stock to it to build up sides to slear sheet stock thickness and thin stock for exterior smoothing once windows are in and masked tho i may just leave the framing in place on out side and give whole thing some paneleing like the DS9 runabouts lol ....cockpit area i have to figure out still as its gonna have a huge dash from IP to windows so i may change front window shape ...then figuring the impulse drive in the rear

zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby zookman » Mon May 13, 2013 7:59 pm

ok a small update .... got the parts roughly cleaned of etra plastic to they nice and smooth to allow joining of parts .. reinforced with sheet stock on inside and will fill any gaps in those areas that will be bilt up later .... ok onto the pics ...

the parts ( well some of them )

ok got the top and bottom halves glued up into seperate halves so can work on interior and such ( no pics of that yet got going and mocked it up and forgot to snap a few lol

ok this mock up has a different front window/canopy that will allow a better veiw for pilots and kinda gives it that enterprise shuttle pod look in the front ... notthing here is glued so design changes are simple as removing tape lol ..

tested some rough window ideas and think this will work ok but details will naturaly be much finer and cleaner but gives a rough idea of what im sorta shooting for ... used an old 1/537 impulse drive for the impulse engine and it seems to fit ok .. sheet stock on the sidea will be "pods " similar to the movie shuttle .. ok for the pics

holes in rear will be filled tho i may use the turbine engines from the kit and maybe make the impulse drive open for service

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Postby Moongrim » Mon May 13, 2013 11:43 pm

What an interesting notion putting tape together and using it to detail. I'll be copying that. :mrgreen:
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby zookman » Tue May 28, 2013 10:43 am

small update ....

starting on interior and have redesigned the rear again lol .. also this bird will have landing gear or skids since i kinda dont like the idea of using the warp drive and bottom of hull for it to sit on .. anyways onto the pics ... lets see if anyone can guess what parts the upper vent area on rear hull is made out of :lol: :lol: :lol:

ok the pics
rear exterior

interior .. floor bracing laid down

floor in place

rear part of interior walls laid out and locator tabs in place walls are built but not shown
my lil helper bubba showing us around the craft as shes built ;)

bubba in the rear hatchway

bubba in the passenger compartment awaiting arrival of the seats and bulkheads and such

passageway to rear hatchway and through eva suit lockers ( far aft and not installed yet) and restrooms :o :o

view from above of interior layout so far still needs ceilings in hallway and smaller rooms

bubba taking a nature calls break ... cant get good help anyplace it seems ...... bubba .. ya could have waited till pics were done :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

only one restroom will be detailed out as seen since there will possibly be a small window in each one with a shutter and this one will be open and other one closed ... few more lil do dads to install in these sections and then its onto the forward passenger section and cockpit ....

Cullenszoo
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby Cullenszoo » Tue May 28, 2013 10:53 am

That is really impressive!
Building hand painted dust collectors since 1977

Moongrim

Postby Moongrim » Tue May 28, 2013 12:34 pm

No sonic shower?
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby zookman » Tue May 28, 2013 12:52 pm

lol nope .. not that long a trip i wouldnt hope anyway .. a few hours sightseeing in systems probly ... and ya know as soon as ya leave the shuttle bay someones gonna have to go ...maybe ill make it crashed and name it the minnow .. they were on a three hour tour ya know :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gmeister
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby Gmeister » Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:21 am

Finally a bathroom. I like it :D

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:25 pm

Heh, finally someone recognizes the need for a bathroom in those things. That's great! :lol:
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Return to “TBG Contest Entries”