1:1000 Scale Fisher class Transport/Tug INCOMPLETE

Each participant will have their own Work in Progress thread, which will be updated as the contest progresses. Please note that spectators aren't allowed to start new threads, but can reply to existing ones.
DouglasGlenn
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

1:1000 Scale Fisher class Transport/Tug INCOMPLETE

Postby DouglasGlenn » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:12 am

Okay, here we go.

My planned build will be a 1:1000 scale Fisher class Transport/Tug based on Jackill's design.

Planned parts list:
Oberth class Science Vessel from Delta Quadrant
Docking Plate and Container End Caps from Modular Models
Electrical Conduit
Knitting Needle
Wooden Coat Rack
Aftermarket Decals from JT Graphics and PNT
(Possibly some Modular Models decals too)
Homemade Decals
Possibly some plastic lettering from Plastruct
Plastic "For Rent" Sign

dg 018 (1280x855).jpg

Parts and parts.

dg 019 (1280x855).jpg

Will likely be picking and choosing from these decals...

Might be a couple weeks before I do anything on this. There are a couple other project deadlines coming up quick that I have to meet. But here is the initial declaration of intent. :vulcan:

I'm really pleased with the Oberth kit. It is one of the cleanest castings I've ever seen.

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Re: 1:1000 Scale Fisher class Transport/Tug

Postby Moongrim » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:54 pm

Now that looks interesting! Quite the challenge!
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

DouglasGlenn
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby DouglasGlenn » Mon May 13, 2013 12:37 am

Figured it was time for an "in progress" shot. I've attached the nacelles and the saucer to the engineering deck after cleaning up the parts. That went pretty smoothly. Almost no flash and just a few minor pinholes.

Attached the container caps to a piece of electrical conduit. They fit near perfectly. Did a little bit of filling at the edges with super glue.

I wasn't entirely satisfied with the way the pylons looked like they were going to attach to the tow plate. So I am making a blister at the top that will give me a little room to play when I attach it. I used a couple of half inch elliptical domes from Plastruct, a couple small strips of plastic cut from my "For Rent" sign, and filled with Squadron Green putty. After the putty completely sets, I will sand and file to shape.
Attachments
DSCF005a.jpg

DouglasGlenn
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby DouglasGlenn » Fri May 17, 2013 12:33 am

DSCF0070 (1024x768).jpg

Attached the pylons to the tow plate. The fit with the new blister worked out just as I had hoped it would. Decided to add some surface detail. Some of the detail was plastic cut off my For Rent sign, some was shiny doodads from these iron on thingies I found at Wal-Mart.

I thought it might be kinda fun to have an observation lounge or something at the front of the blister. Added pieces of 1/32 rod to divide the lounge windows.

If you look carefully, you can kinda see where I added an airlock to the rear of the blister too.

DSCF0071 (1024x768).jpg

Thinking about adding a second container, so I began preparing one.

DSCF0068 (1024x768).jpg

Just sat the hull on the pylon assembly to get an idea of how they look together. Not cemented yet. Will paint first. Painting it if I assembled it first would be extremely difficult.

Jason Abbadon
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby Jason Abbadon » Sun May 26, 2013 10:41 pm

Very cool looking! I'd love to see a bunch of windows on the transport pod- I'd go for an almost Cruise Ship kinda look to the pod- all panoramic windows and lounges....we never see such things (or really any transports) in Trek but you have to assume people would still want to travel in style and without the claustrophobia that traveling in a windowless metal can would instill!

DouglasGlenn
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby DouglasGlenn » Wed May 29, 2013 4:42 pm

Jason Abbadon wrote:I'd love to see a bunch of windows on the transport pod- I'd go for an almost Cruise Ship kinda look to the pod- all panoramic windows and lounges....we never see such things (or really any transports) in Trek but you have to assume people would still want to travel in style and without the claustrophobia that traveling in a windowless metal can would instill!

Great idea, Jason. Not really where I'm going with this one though. A cruise ship would be fun. I may steal that idea for my next transport. Planning on building a Ptolemy and a couple of others at some point. There's one from Star Fleet Battles I was thinking about. Jackill's had another design for a tug that was not much more than a bridge module and tow plate with a warp nacelle attached. Don't have that book any longer and I don't remember what it was called...

zookman
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby zookman » Wed May 29, 2013 11:39 pm

here ya go .. NCC S200 deliverer class container tug
Attachments
containertug_deliverer.jpg
containertug_deliverer.jpg (30.92 KiB) Viewed 2401 times

Moongrim

Postby Moongrim » Thu May 30, 2013 12:37 am

What an intriguing looking ship. :)
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

DouglasGlenn
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby DouglasGlenn » Thu May 30, 2013 10:46 pm

Thanks, Zookman.

DouglasGlenn
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Postby DouglasGlenn » Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:28 pm

DSCF0078a.jpg

Took the pegs off the coat rack and filled the holes. (They came right out with a little twisting and rocking.) Have decided it is too long even with two containers. Will need to take several inches off of it.

Cut up one of the knitting needles for the stands, there will be one stand mounted in each container.

DSCF0079a.jpg

Fill, Sand, Paint, repeat... imho the most tedious part of model building.

DSCF0080a.jpg

Progress on the main hull...
Tamiya "Pearl White" over "Pure White". Detail colors I will have to go lookup and edit into here later... ;)
Last edited by DouglasGlenn on Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “TBG Contest Entries”