Official tales of woe / pick-me-up thread

Discuss all non Star Trek related topics here.
User avatar
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Posts: 5371
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:41 pm
Location: In a land whose boundaries are that of imagination

Re: Official tales of woe / pick-me-up thread

Postby el gato » Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:17 pm

Sorry to hear about this, MEATLOAFr. There's all sorts of suckage surrounding this whole affair, from them bypassing you to this layoff. What's worse is that I suspect there's a linkage there.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

User avatar
MEATLOAFr
Rampaging Rear Admiral (LH)
Rampaging Rear Admiral (LH)
Posts: 1783
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska

Re: Official tales of woe / pick-me-up thread

Postby MEATLOAFr » Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:43 pm

el gato wrote:Sorry to hear about this, MEATLOAFr. There's all sorts of suckage surrounding this whole affair, from them bypassing you to this layoff. What's worse is that I suspect there's a linkage there.


it's all money - they don't want to pay for new (or even repair) trucks, let alone new equipment for patients to replace our aging stock
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

User avatar
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Posts: 5371
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:41 pm
Location: In a land whose boundaries are that of imagination

Re: Official tales of woe / pick-me-up thread

Postby el gato » Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:15 pm

MEATLOAFr wrote:
el gato wrote:Sorry to hear about this, MEATLOAFr. There's all sorts of suckage surrounding this whole affair, from them bypassing you to this layoff. What's worse is that I suspect there's a linkage there.


it's all money - they don't want to pay for new (or even repair) trucks, let alone new equipment for patients to replace our aging stock


Definitely money was involved, but my suspicion also centers around why you were not promoted. It could be that they had already decided to lay off your group months ago. If so, that would be why you were bypassed. Sorry, I don't mean to add to the pain by airing this suspicion out.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

User avatar
MEATLOAFr
Rampaging Rear Admiral (LH)
Rampaging Rear Admiral (LH)
Posts: 1783
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska

Re: Official tales of woe / pick-me-up thread

Postby MEATLOAFr » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:05 am

el gato wrote:
MEATLOAFr wrote:
el gato wrote:Sorry to hear about this, MEATLOAFr. There's all sorts of suckage surrounding this whole affair, from them bypassing you to this layoff. What's worse is that I suspect there's a linkage there.


it's all money - they don't want to pay for new (or even repair) trucks, let alone new equipment for patients to replace our aging stock


Definitely money was involved, but my suspicion also centers around why you were not promoted. It could be that they had already decided to lay off your group months ago. If so, that would be why you were bypassed. Sorry, I don't mean to add to the pain by airing this suspicion out.


Nothing to be sorry about... But I do know why I was bypassed for promotion - the guy they gave it to was a long time friend of the department supervisor, it's all in who you know sometimes

But it's water under the bridge now, department supervisor quit (retired) last month and my boss is in same boat I am. Both were good guys, no ill will toward them all.

Best thing to come from this is... going to cash out my 401K and get the 3D printer I've been eyeing for months now, and start some other things I have been wanting to do for a long time now.

Look for me to start-up a new business soon :lol:
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

User avatar
Tesral
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Posts: 2815
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:58 pm
Location: Dearborn, Mi -- at my desk.
Contact:

Re: Official tales of woe / pick-me-up thread

Postby Tesral » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:24 am

Ouch.

I'm still hurting from the Highland Festival Saturday.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

User avatar
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Posts: 5371
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:41 pm
Location: In a land whose boundaries are that of imagination

Re: Official tales of woe / pick-me-up thread

Postby el gato » Thu Aug 10, 2017 3:11 pm

MEATLOAFr wrote:Best thing to come from this is... going to cash out my 401K and get the 3D printer I've been eyeing for months now, and start some other things I have been wanting to do for a long time now.

Look for me to start-up a new business soon :lol:


:thumbsup:

My tale of woe is that my mom just told me that a childhood friend passed away sometime in the past week. Apparently he was buried yesterday. I haven't seen him since 1999 and the last time I spoke with him (over the phone) was 2009. We haven't been close friends since my family left El Salvador and moved to the US. By all objective standards his death shouldn't affect me that much, but his passing is still... weird.

Middle age sucks
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

User avatar
MEATLOAFr
Rampaging Rear Admiral (LH)
Rampaging Rear Admiral (LH)
Posts: 1783
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska

Re: Official tales of woe / pick-me-up thread

Postby MEATLOAFr » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:11 am

el gato wrote:Middle age sucks


That I agree with
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

User avatar
Tesral
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Posts: 2815
Joined: Tue Dec 18, 2012 12:58 pm
Location: Dearborn, Mi -- at my desk.
Contact:

Re: Official tales of woe / pick-me-up thread

Postby Tesral » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:32 am

MEATLOAFr wrote:
el gato wrote:Middle age sucks


That I agree with


Beats the alternative.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.

User avatar
mophius
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain
Posts: 667
Joined: Thu Jan 05, 2017 7:04 am

Re: Official tales of woe / pick-me-up thread

Postby mophius » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:21 pm

Memory card on my phone has become corrupted. I now cannot post any of the latest photo updates I can only tell you about them. I had started a couple more ships and had the progress photos ready to post on their own threads.
Worst of all, my little family (wife, daughter and me) had a day out last weekend and the photos from that are now locked away until I can get in the memory card. I am sure there is a way to do it I just need time.

Tonight I was spending some time adjusting a scan of Acreations BOP decals and the computer shut down on me. Two hours worth of work down the kah-zi.
I had adjusted the size and was erasing the background of the scan when 'poof' off the computer went. Also putting in some marker spots, red and green, for the saucers of ships without them. A few new decals are needed too but they will now have to wait. Being new to the decal making I am try not to waste the decal paper and doing test prints on plain.

Just, grrr.

I got some beer when I went shopping today so am chillin now. 8-)
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.

Imgur

User avatar
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Posts: 5371
Joined: Thu Apr 04, 2013 8:41 pm
Location: In a land whose boundaries are that of imagination

Re: Official tales of woe / pick-me-up thread

Postby el gato » Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:02 pm

mophius wrote:Memory card on my phone has become corrupted. I now cannot post any of the latest photo updates I can only tell you about them. I had started a couple more ships and had the progress photos ready to post on their own threads.
Worst of all, my little family (wife, daughter and me) had a day out last weekend and the photos from that are now locked away until I can get in the memory card. I am sure there is a way to do it I just need time.


I can relate. Last summer I accidentally deleted a bunch of progress photos and photos of our outing with my goddaughter. Talked to a couple of IT firms and they said that they were impossible to recover because the hard drives on cell phones are "different." I don't buy it but whattayagonnado?
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.


Return to “Off Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 25 guests