Internet suffering

Discuss all non Star Trek related topics here.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Re: Internet suffering

Post by NCC1966 »

The new provider called and said that they will come to install the fiber optic next Wednesday.

Also I figured out that plugging the 4G modem at the end of a USB cable (instead directly to the computer port), stretching the cable through the window till the deck and leaving the modem over a table there I can get a steady signal. Actually I navigated for a couple hours yesterday without any connection drop. Seems that there is a light by the end of the tunnel anyway...

:)
Thanks,

Yan.
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

Three months later, at Yan's house...
Antennas.jpg
Antennas.jpg (16.43 KiB) Viewed 1748 times
"WHAAAAAAAAT???!!! Still...No... SIGNAL!!!!!!"
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

:lol:

Very much like this!

:lol:
Thanks,

Yan.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

trekriffic wrote:Three months later, at Yan's house...

Antennas.jpg
"WHAAAAAAAAT???!!! Still...No... SIGNAL!!!!!!"
Looks like some of the places I work at.
"Hey! We're getting some bleedover interference again!"
"Gee, I wonder why?".
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

Countdown is almost over for the new Internet... Around 24 hours until the new cable guys come in. IF they come of course: here in my town you never know when people will accomplish what they promise.

:roll:
Thanks,

Yan.
trekriffic
Admiral of the Fleet
Admiral of the Fleet

Post by trekriffic »

NCC1966 wrote:Countdown is almost over for the new Internet... Around 24 hours until the new cable guys come in. IF they come of course: here in my town you never know when people will accomplish what they promise.

Funny... If I didn't know better I'd think you were living in France.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/
MEATLOAFr
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by MEATLOAFr »

trekriffic wrote:
NCC1966 wrote:Countdown is almost over for the new Internet... Around 24 hours until the new cable guys come in. IF they come of course: here in my town you never know when people will accomplish what they promise.

Funny... If I didn't know better I'd think you were living in France.
Or an American politician keeping campaign promises
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!
Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
ABLE TO PRINT DECALS IN WHITE
NOW ABLE TO 3D PRINT SMALL SCALE MODELS (ANYCUBIC PHOTON & MONO X) have STL, will print!!
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

Geez, seems that human being is suffering of same type of disqualification all over the world!
Thanks,

Yan.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

Sometimes I hate the human kind. After to stay stuck in home till now (14:40) in my birthday, we received a phone call from the stupid provider company saying that they will NOT come to install the service because our house is more than 300m from the point they have the cable. Pause to count until 100.

:-o

So they made us to believe that they would install the thing for months (yeah the story is WAY older than this thread, and ) and now this. Luckily I figured out a way to use the 4G dongle and will have to satisfy myself with it. Of course I already figured that the 8GB plan won't be enough and I will have to upgrade it to the 14GB (next available bandwidth) for modest cost of $129 per month. Hell, yeah, I can live with it... although all the old party when I used to leave the Torrent client all day and night downloading movies and series is definitively over.

What can I do? New times...

Thanks,

Yan.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

OK, new chapter for the novel... yesterday later after I make the last post the cable guy showed up here and said that the installation wouldn't be able to be done because my house is 500m away from the distribution box and the company puts the limit to 300m.

First I thought that the guy was trying to stiff me to see if I would bribe him (sometimes things only works this way here in Brasil), but soon I noticed that he was just a rule follower and that does strictly what is in the manual. Then he explained that the problem was about the cost of the fiber optic cable, etc, so I thought again that he wanted money and I told him that I could pay for the extra cable and then he sustained that it wouldn't be possible, yadah, yadah, yadah.

After I insist a lot he decided to call his manager at the office and left the mobile in the loudspeaker so I could hear the conversation. He explained the situation and at first the manager confirmed that it wouldn't be possible.

I was already running out of hope when after some talk the manager changed his mind and said that if I could pay $1 for each extra meter of cable (around $200 total) it probably could be done. Jesus, why don't say it right in the bat? Go figure.

After a lot of useless blabber they promised to have an answer to my case today (what I doubt). Since tomorrow is Holiday it will certainly be pushed to Monday when I will have to go their office, find the manager guy and tell him the whole story again to refresh his mind clouded by the weekend beer. Oh my!

In the meantime I go on using the 4G modem (that I still didn't discard the possibility of keep using it forever if the cable thing fails). Good news is that I figured that there is another possible option: there is a small company in town that I wasn't aware of and that offers the same service I had before (radio) whose antenna is right in front of me that I can see with a bare eye a few kilometers away. Actually it looks like to be the same antenna the other company used to send me their radio signal. Not as good as fiber optic but probably better than the 4G.

So my peregrination towards the Internet temple continues...

Thanks,

Yan.

Return to “Off Topic”