The Orville

Discuss all non Star Trek related topics here.
MSgtUSAFRet
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: The Orville

Post by MSgtUSAFRet »

It is on Hulu; the Mrs and I watched the first two episodes last night.

It is a pleasant mixture of drama, comedy, and action adventure. The production values are extremely high to have included bringing in music composers of blockbuster movies to score the show - Bruce Broughton for the theme music - a la Jerry Goldsmith for Voyager and ST:TNG - Joel McNeely (who scored MacFarlane’s movie “A Million Ways to Die in the West” and won an Emmy for “The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles”) and John Debney (whose TV record includes Emmys for such sci-fi adventures as “SeaQuest DSV” and “The Cape”) are composing the weekly episode scores. (Burlingame, 2017)

I am sure I heard musical cues from TMP and definitely from "Galaxy Quest"! (Of course, I have a preference for Galaxy Quest; but that's beside the point! :lol: )

To me, if a show spends money on musicians and orchestras (30-60 pieces) then the show's producers are serious about making a quality product!

The CGI graphics are no less beautiful! I even got used to the organic profile of the ship! (Some here, I think, have made mention of wanting to build her!) Some shots echoed the 80's Star Trek movies and others the current JJverse! (Such as when the Orville pulls away from Space Dock.)

The story telling was decent for the first couple of shows and may even mature as it grows. Jon Favreau's direction of the pilot episode was very well done and really set the tone for the series.

This show has potential and, as one who views anything with Seth MacFarlane with a healthy dose of skepticism, I must admit I liked the show.

Whaddayathink?

LLAP!

Steve
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Mrs. Gato & I caught up last night and it is definitely not a send up of ST or any other sci fi show. It is it's own blend of drama and serious sci fi with some ill-conceived (IMO) jokes sprinkled in here and there. Luckily the latter is kept to a minimum so it's not distracting
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
MadManMUC
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Post by MadManMUC »

I just caught up, and watched all four episodes. I'm really enjoying it so far; this is far, far better Trek than that other thing on CBS/Netflix.

Was it just me, or did we hear the music from when the Enterprise encounters V'ger in episode 4?! :mrgreen:
DANGER. SPACE DOORS ARE CLOSED.

"I saw it done on Discovery" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
(With apologies to Tesral for nicking his sig. :mrgreen: )
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks »

Most of the score for every episode is reminiscent of ST/TMP.
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Orville is very much Star Trek: Throwback. Mrs. Gato has not wanted to follow a sci fi show since TNG
Last edited by el gato on Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks »

Tonight's episode - with guest star Charlize Theron! - was another fun ride. Really lovin' this show!
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Griffworks wrote:Tonight's episode - with guest star Charlize Theron! - was another fun ride. Really lovin' this show!
Part of the problem with Mrs. Gato being a fan of this show is that now I have to wait until she takes a break from her studies to watch the episode. Now, I'm not saying it's annoying, but it kinda is.... :lol:
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks »

Hey, gotta keep SWMBO happy! Life is much easier when Mama is happy. And knowing you, Mrs Gato is mui happy.

My Flickr Albums
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Griffworks wrote:Hey, gotta keep SWMBO happy! Life is much easier when Mama is happy. And knowing you, Mrs Gato is mui happy.
I hope so. Otherwise she's a sucker for putting up with me so many years :lol:
Kremin
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Kremin »

I have to say I'm enjoying this immensely, it feels like it will create it's own Niche and has managed not to offend anyone or infringe on anybodies copyright

Return to “Off Topic”