Superkhaaaaan!

Discuss other big conventions and local events here.
slawton
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Superkhaaaaan!

Postby slawton » Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:08 pm

My wife got me a late Father's Day present, so we went to Supercon in Miami. Here's me (I'm geeking out a little) with the man:

I was only there for the day, but I got to hear William Shatner, Walter Koenig, Robert Picardo and Henry Winkler speak. Also saw Denise Crosby, Rene Auberjonois and Bruce Boxleitner.
Last edited by slawton on Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm a doctor, not a modeler ...

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Re: Superkhaaaaan!

Postby Moongrim » Mon Jul 04, 2016 3:04 pm

Kewlness ! :mrgreen:
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby trekriffic » Mon Jul 04, 2016 9:37 pm

Meeting the Shat! Aww man that's cool! 8-)
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

slawton
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby slawton » Mon Jul 04, 2016 10:45 pm

trekriffic wrote:Meeting the Shat! Aww man that's cool! 8-)

Well it was kind-of an assembly line for the picture - was there for all of three seconds. He did say "Looks great!" regarding my weak attempt at a costume (PJ top from the wife with black pants).

Given the 50th Anniversary and the passing of the other originals (Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelly, James Doohan, etc.), there may not be too many remaining opportunities to see our lifelong heroes.

The speakers talked anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour, answering questions from the audience. They were all great - they are really talented people. Both Henry Winkler and William Shatner were great performers -- sharp, funny and energetic (for their age) -- almost stand-up comedian worthy. Robert Picardo was also good, but maybe not quite as polished. He's been involved in promoting space exploration even though his first love was biological sciences.

Walter Koenig seemed to be the only one that showed his age, being somewhat feeble, hard of hearing and slower thinking. But he did recall meaningful stories giving insight on how show business runs and the challenges of acting.

Lots of people wearing costumes (several TOS ones) and lots of booth vendors. There's a 1701 group that had a lot of cool props - got to experience a lifelong dream to sit in the Captain's chair:

I'm a doctor, not a modeler ...

TrekMD
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby TrekMD » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:57 am

Very cool. I was there this weekend as well! It was great seeing the Shat and the other actors.
Medicus ad astra, non laedant...

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:55 pm

That is super cool! Congrats on meeting the man!

slawton wrote:Also saw Denise Crosby, Rene Auberjonois and Bruce Boxleitner.

Aaaauuuugggghhhh! Bruce Boxleitner is the last autograph I need to finish my Babylon 5 collection. I always miss him whenever he's near me. Or I should say it like Kirk. I... keep... missing the target. Apparently the man does not do cons on the West Coast.
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Return to “Other Conventions / Events”