Beginner Lighting for 1:1000 Scale

A place for those new to the hobby (or at a basic skill level) to ask questions and hone their skills.
michelalano
Lighting Fast Lieutenant JG

Beginner Lighting for 1:1000 Scale

Postby michelalano » Mon Jan 30, 2017 11:50 pm

I bought a lighting kit for a 1:1000 tos or refit enterprise on ebay a couple years ago so I could get my feet wet with lighting. For some reason the kit came with no instructions and the seller in germany didn't understand when I messaged him. I was frustrated so I threw it in a drawer and forgot about it.

My initial question is: is this a common kit? it seems to be pretty basic and color coded. Does anyone have instructions or know where I could get some? Or at least at a glance maybe I could get a rundown of what's what. No power supply or switch were included either so there's that.

Secondly, are there any good tutorials for lighting a 1:1000 kit (a smaller one like the refit or reliant, not the excelsior). I'd like to dive into this as my modeling chops have laid dormant.

Many thanks to any responses.
Attachments
IMG_2498.JPG

Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral (CW)

Re: Beginner Lighting for 1:1000 Scale

Postby Moongrim » Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:12 pm

It would help if we knew what the name of the outfit was.

Could you scan the pictures (from the photo) so that we could see it better?

I'm assuming you know how to solder?

This video might be what you need to get started: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTRLt-fzTwg
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

michelalano

Postby michelalano » Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:57 pm

Thanks for the reply. I don't know how to solder but I intend to learn. The image is useless, basically highly pixelated pictures of several ships as "examples" but no instructions.The package I bought can be found here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ENTERPRISE-1701 ... _1CVIjdnfg

michelalano

Postby michelalano » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:07 pm

Also side note, i had the idea of using led string lights somehow (link below). I used them for another project (not model related) and they seem pretty simple. they can be cut to size and re-soldered to a battery pack. All I really want to do is a static light up (no strobes or flashers). And it would be nice to avoid circuit boards and resistors and such.

https://www.amazon.com/CrazyFire-Christ ... ing+lights

Moongrim

Postby Moongrim » Wed Feb 01, 2017 2:35 pm

Well that amazon static kit may be just what you're looking for if you wish to keep it simple. Just find something that isn't very large in terms of lighting string length, otherwise you'll be working on trying to figure out what to do with the excess.

Of course there are also solder-less connectors...
https://www.flexfireleds.com/solderless ... all-guide/
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.

NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby NCC1966 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:03 pm

:o
Last edited by NCC1966 on Tue Mar 28, 2017 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thanks,

Yan.

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:10 pm

michelalano, sorry to hear about your woes with the "kit".

Speaking as a relative lighting newbie (I am working on my second lighted model) I do have some experience.

It looks like the "kit" you got was intended for a 1/350 scale model, based on the link you provided, and may not fit in a 1/1000 scale model; TOS or otherwise. Although it may work well in a 1/650 TOS or 1/537 TNG Enterprise.

Some of the strip SMDs have voltage ratings printed on them, so take a look at what you may have. If you intend to use them, even as spares, make sure the power supply will properly feed them. Also be careful not to overload them - i.e. NOT using a 12V power supply to power a 9V SMD strip.

The resistors also come in ratings, the colored bands on the resistor, and can be used with any power supply as long as the amperage calculations are within tolerances for the resistor. See the link below. A quick search on the internet will give you a way to decipher the band colors. A voltmeter is the easiest way to tell a resistors rating.

The size of the wires may be too large for a 1/1000 scale model due to limited internal space. Check out if you need to purchase smaller sized wires.

It looks like you have some heat shrink tubing there, too. (The white long tube south of the black and red wires) This is generally used with LEDs and fiber optics. Again, youtube videos are available for your viewing on how to use heatshrink tubing and making LED/fiber optic lights.

A website I use to help me design a circuit is http://led.linear1.org/1led.wiz

Hope this helps!

Steve

michelalano

Postby michelalano » Tue Mar 28, 2017 3:39 pm

Thanks for the input MSgt. I posted the wrong link above to the item. The correct kit is indeed for a 1000 scale model:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lighting-Set-En ... Swr81UTlIk

I was hoping to start with a kit with step by step instructions because that would help me understand everything so I'd be able to do a kit from scratch in the future. I e-mailed the guy again and he actually responded, so hopefully I'll get some answers at least with what I already bought.

Return to “Newbie Modeler Help Desk”