Suggestions for first kit

A place for those new to the hobby (or at a basic skill level) to ask questions and hone their skills.
Blueshirt named Green
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Suggestions for first kit

Postby Blueshirt named Green » Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:06 pm

Hello.First i want to say i have almost no past experience with model kits.(Except few cheap car models from supermarket,and the end result wasn't good.But that was 6 years ago).Now i wanted to try again,and why not do it with one of my favorite tv series?Only a few problems:
1.There isn't a single store in my country that would sell star trek merchandise,maybe except clothes.
2.Most online stores doesn't provide shipping to my country.(The only one i found which does provide shipping is mega hobby).
3.I'm just a 14 year old kid who can't spend big money on these kits.

Anyway here are a few models that do fall into my price range.
Enterprise E 1/1400 AMT
https://www.megahobby.com/products/star ... 0-amt.html

Enterprise refit 1/1000 Polar Lights
https://www.megahobby.com/products/star ... ights.html

So what do you think?Are these easy enough kits for a newbie,or am i going to fail?Please suggest any other kits for a noob.
Thank you.
You got the bridge... what's left of it...

Blueshirt named Green
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Re: Suggestions for first kit

Postby Blueshirt named Green » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:39 pm

Realized i can only buy stuff from german amazon.Everywhere else shipping cost 20$ at least

Xen
Bear with me
Bear with me

Postby Xen » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:13 am

firstly, welcome to the site!

my advice? avoid the ones you listed. too much work, too much investment, far too easy to fail and lose your enthusiasm.

buy some smaller 1/2500 kits and supplies. they are cheaper and offer a much better chance of you actually completing your project. they also happen to look cool if you buy a three pack and display them together at the same scale scale.

many members have 'extras' / 'spares'. they might be willing to trade with you or even send something as 'good karma' if you cover the postage. feel free to post a thread in the classifieds section with a wish list.

lastly, don't be afraid to introduce yourself or post in other areas of the forum. yes, this is a 'home' for newbies, but no rule exists that you have to post here.

ast is a family of fans that can help you. no 'us vs them' exists here (only in the form of friendly competitive spirit).

good luck!

MEATLOAFr
Rampaging Rear Admiral (LH)
Rampaging Rear Admiral (LH)

Postby MEATLOAFr » Mon Jul 24, 2017 3:22 am

Xen wrote:firstly, welcome to the site!

my advice? avoid the ones you listed. too much work, too much investment, far too easy to fail and lose your enthusiasm.

buy some smaller 1/2500 kits and supplies. they are cheaper and offer a much better chance of you actually completing your project. they also happen to look cool if you buy a three pack and display them together at the same scale scale.

many members have 'extras' / 'spares'. they might be willing to trade with you or even send something as 'good karma' if you cover the postage. feel free to post a thread in the classifieds section with a wish list.

lastly, don't be afraid to introduce yourself or post in other areas of the forum. yes, this is a 'home' for newbies, but no rule exists that you have to post here.

ast is a family of fans that can help you. no 'us vs them' exists here (only in the form of friendly competitive spirit).

good luck!

I agree, many of us do have extra's laying around - post in the classified section, maybe someone near you has something you want
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

nova1972x
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby nova1972x » Mon Jul 31, 2017 5:45 am

I think the 1:1400 Enterprise-E is a little ambitious for a first-ever build, but I think the 1:1000 Enterprise-A is doable for a teen. Assembly is not that difficult. Paint and finish really depends on how detailed you want to get: you can paint most of the ship the same base color with spray paint if you are inclined, but not necessary. You can hand paint the smaller parts like the nacelle chillers, deflector dish, etc. The most difficult part will be applying the decals, and it will take a lot of patience. If you don't care about the azteking decals, you could print your own or order a set of PNT brand 1:1000 refit decals from http://www.federationmodels.com/

That all said, I agree with others who suggested trying 1:2500 scale first, or consider another model. I also agree you should check out the Classified threads on this site.

I don't know how you feel about the TOS Enterprise, but Polar Lights has that in 1:1000, for around the same price as the Enterprise-A.

There are various versions still available for the $25-ish range:

This version is pre-decorated, and basically is just snap together:
https://www.amazon.com/Star-U-S-S-Entpe ... enterprise

This Space Seed version is the same basic model, just not predecorated. It includes decals:
https://www.amazon.com/Polar-Lights-POL ... enterprise

Blueshirt named Green
Erratic Ensign
Erratic Ensign

Postby Blueshirt named Green » Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:14 pm

Big thanks to everyone for their feedback!

I have ordered the pre-painted 3 enterprises pack and enterprise C.

Now just have to wait 2 weeks for them to arrive.

Thanks again!

Matthew

Return to “Newbie Modeler Help Desk”