ONX-01"Osiris" - Multi-Mission slipstream Prowler [WIP]

From 2D to 3D. CGI to Old School sketches. Post all artwork here!
Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Re: ONX-01 - Slipstream Attack Cutter [WIP]

Post by Drop_Bear »

Interesting...

How long is she?
"On the internet, no one knows you're a cat." - Intentional misquote of a popular adage.

My flikr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132558716@N02/albums
Serin019
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Serin019 »

Drop_Bear wrote:Interesting...

How long is she?
Thats a really good question - I've no idea! I'll have to drop in a t-pose character and work it out by measuring them.
Serin019
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Serin019 »

Drop_Bear wrote:Interesting...

How long is she?
Ok, its almost exactly 82m long.
Measured using the very accurate 1.82m tall naked Andorian cadet method.

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by Drop_Bear »

Serin019 wrote:Ok, its almost exactly 82m long.
That's a nice number. Small, but still large enough to pack an arsenal.
"On the internet, no one knows you're a cat." - Intentional misquote of a popular adage.

My flikr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132558716@N02/albums
Serin019
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Serin019 »

Drop_Bear wrote:
Serin019 wrote:Ok, its almost exactly 82m long.
That's a nice number. Small, but still large enough to pack an arsenal.
I'm relieved to hear that you think so. It sort of just turned out to be a nice useful number. :D
martok2112
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by martok2112 »

Definitely a fast attack ship. A heavily armed patrol ship.
Looks inspired by the game Mass Effect... the USS Normandy. :)

Nice design! Keep it up. :)
Remember, you can't have gagh without "gag"! :D
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

Why is everything an attack ship?

83 meters. Annular drive. Looks fast standing still. It could be a civilian yacht. The large windows play to that actually. Annular drive suggest a Vulcan design? Vulcan attack ship? To my mind it doesn't look "attacky" at all. It's the sleek equivalent of a high end business jet.

I'm going to kill some cat girls, stay with me.

Space combat involves tossing large amounts of energy at each other. What to the shields do with this energy? Some is reflected, but not all. The rest must be dealt with in terms of excess heat. Which is why the tactical officer is talking about percentages of protection. The system's ability to absorb that extra heat before failing.

Large ships have a greater ability to deal with the excess heat. While a small ship can carry a heavy punch, it lacks staying power. So major combatants are big. They have huge radiators to dump excess heat. See: Clarkium. So while a Defiant class ship can punch well above its weight, it has a glass jaw.

That said you can do what you want.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
Serin019
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Serin019 »

These are all good points of course.

To the first one - well I'm just not done yet, still need to work out how to make it meaner and obviously include its offensive systems.
As to whether its a Vulcan design - dunno, could be. Since we never learnt who was behind the original Defiant design so really it could be anyone. My initial thought was simply about taking some design aspects from various member races and mashing them together into something new. Andorian - Vulcan. Whatever.

And yes, this certainly isn't something that'd be thrown up against a capital ship, its more just an attachment to a station as a multi-role ship to be begin with along with being a test bed for several advancements in technology.
If a few were built and attached to said station then they'd add up to quite a punch - not that said station assumes to find itself in such a position.
Slipstream as far is established in the pocket books canon requires either a small sort of sleek ship or a large very sleek ship like the Vesta class. The idea is that as size increases so does the computational power required to safely travel through slipstream.
So smaller is easier to put through slipstream. Add that to the location of its base then I think one can understand why it exists.

Think of it as a prototype that makes use of the available resources whilst being quick, stealthy and gunned up enough to punch once or twice before bugging the hell out at slipstream velocity before anyone can get a proper read on it.

Oh, Right. So within the story:
The station this ship is attached to, simply named Overwatch, is positioned above the ecliptic plane of our galaxy. Its not exactly a sanctioned operation so resources are whatever the organisation can get out of the Federation without notice.
RogueWolf
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by RogueWolf »

I'm with Tesral, to me this thing is too small to be an attack ship, unless you are going to call it a heavy fighter. She's very sleek and sexy looking, but I don't get that "feeling" that she can take on anything much bigger than itself. Her best weapons should be based on the boldness, cunning and guile of her Captain. Not in her weapons.

You can't take the firepower and speed of Los-Angeles class attack sub and jam it into a yacht. Not unless you can be content with a cruising range of a few miles and weapons that are only effective at short range. there is just not enough room in her tiny hull for big powerful engines and a lot of fuel, or a lot of torpedoes, etc.

Unless you are going to cross that line into "Uber Fan-boy-fastest, strongest, out-gunning-ist, everything-ist, most advanced tech-est" ship. To me, Trek has been about the stories, and the best stories are when Tech is left to a minimum. Please don't cross the Uber-Line.

I see this as a fast stealthy ship, something S31 would use to insert or recover operatives into unfriendly situations and locations. Sure if need be she could beam a tri-Cobalt torpedo into the engine room of a Romulan Warbird, but even after that she's gonna run like hell.

If she is to be an attack ship, I say limit her to fast speed and a one shot weapon, a weapon of last resort, maybe something to make a sun go Nova or something. For when you have no other option but to wipe out a whole solar system or something. hence her small size and crew, cause they may have to be sacrificed to deliver that weapon of last resort...
Check out my NorthTrek Creations kits at:
http://www.mvmodels.biz/northtrek.asp
Valar Morghulis
Serin019
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Post by Serin019 »

Well yes, perhaps 'attack ship' is the wrong term. I think I've outline its purpose though pretty well outside the term anyway.
How about 'Multi-Mission Slipstream Cutter'. That sounds nice.

Return to “Trek Art”