Drop_Bear's Build: Reimagined Enterprise (WITHDRAWN)

Fan Organized "Just For Fun" Group Build.
Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Re: Drop_Bear's Build: Reimagined Enterprise

Postby Drop_Bear » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:50 pm

trekriffic wrote:Well I haven't decided what I'm building yet but if you are building a "Space Seed" themed diorama I suppose it won't be the Enterprise/Botany Bay kit. Nice idea for a reimagined Enterrpise.

Thanks! Don't worry about "clashing" with my build, I'm just doing reimagined versions of the Enterprise and Botany Bay; the canon versions are still "available".
"On the internet, no one knows you're a cat." - Intentional misquote of a popular adage.

My flikr gallery: https://www.flickr.com/photos/132558716@N02/albums

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby Drop_Bear » Mon Apr 04, 2016 8:23 am

Still planning here. I made a start on the orthographic drawings today. Why yes, I did cobble something together out of someone else's work and use it as a template. I am drawing all of this from scratch with that template underneath to make sure I get all of the shapes right.

I think I am going to use the tall Pilot Version bridge module for the model. I just drew it on a whim, but for some reason it actually seems to fit the ship pretty well. I guess because it looks a little like the even larger Refit bridge module. At this stage the B/C deck will be from the Refit. This is for practical rather than aesthetic reasons, as I don't want to destroy a perfectly good TOS saucer for the B/C deck when I can add it to my parts stash.

Despite the different hull shapes, a lot of the parts on the TOS and Movie versions of the Constitution class are interchangable. The bridge module, for instance, sits in just about the same location as the Refit and the turbolift shaft/shafts should line up.

After this I think I will try building an Enterprise Refit with the smaller primary and secondary hulls of the TOS Era ship. Hmm... I believe I will call it a "Weefit"! :lol:

I know the Enterprise does have a faint deflector grid pencilled in on the studio model, but I never see it when I picture her in my head so I don't plan on including it. But while I plan on filling it in on the model, I intend to leave some of the grid in place, transforming it into hatches and other details. This join line was on my hit list, but I got to wondering today; what if the entire nose of the secondary hull was actually a removable shroud? A bit silly on a starship, I know, but it might make servicing or swapping out the navigational deflector easier.

A perfectly smooth hull might be a little boring, so I'm thinking of trying aztecing on my Enterprise. I'm not normally a fan of it on small models, but Trekriffic has an amazing technique which I'm dying to try. The hull will be standard Starfleet grey, but with panels of different shades of grey. Perhaps even silver.

Something I have seen on a couple of other alternate universe Enterprises that I like are missile tubes Frenched into the sides of the upper secondary hull. The primary hull just doesn't seem like a sensible place to put the torpedo launchers, so I will move them to this location. It is entirely possible Starfleet used missile-like torpedos before later adopting the coffin shape we're familiar with. The changeover could be the reason for the launchers being where they are are on the Refit.

And that's all I have, really. Not exciting, I know, but this design effort is part of the project so I figure I should share at least some of it. It is a good thing we have five months to complete our builds, because it will take a couple of weeks to finish the drawings.
"On the internet, no one knows you're a cat." - Intentional misquote of a popular adage.

Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Postby Steam235 » Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:32 am

I love this idea. I was actually contemplating doing this idea for my contest build too. I was trying to explain it to people but people kept thinking I was talking about a phase II Enterprise.

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby Drop_Bear » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:07 am

I can see why. It is so close to the original that really, the only major difference is the size and shape of the primary and secondary hulls.

I am so glad I decided to stake my claim before I was ready to build. Great minds think alike, eh? :lol:

Kremin
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby Kremin » Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:32 pm

I could see half the fleet ending up looking like this with various upgrades happening at different times some would get the new hull shapes during construction but not the nacelles

Steam235
Captain USS December
Captain USS December

Postby Steam235 » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:26 am

To me it comes down to a childhood belief, that they took the ship from the show, changed the engines, bridge, added a fancy torpedo launcher and took away the radar dish and that made the movie ship.

Now once we start looking at it... if that's all they did you'd have the phase 2 ship.

So to get to the refit from the TOS you have to do the basic small things, but drastically change the curve of the hull, add to the saucer, change all the internal rooms that had windows, move the neck foward on the hull repaint the entire ship and so on and so on. (which I accept that they did in "cannon".

But what if all they did was "changed the engines, bridge, added a fancy torpedo launcher and took away the radar dish" and they ended up with the refit. What would the ship have looked like before if that's all that it took to make the refit. It's something I've played with and I'm very excited to see how Drop Bear realizes it.

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby Drop_Bear » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:32 am

Art update. Just to show you guys that I haven't forgotten this project.

I love Microsoft Paint. It's as old as Stonehenge and as complicated as a spoon, but it gets the job done. By the way, this is apparently called "vexel" drawing.

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby Drop_Bear » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:53 am

Kremin wrote:I could see half the fleet ending up looking like this with various upgrades happening at different times some would get the new hull shapes during construction but not the nacelles

Me, I see only a small number of Constitutions being rebuilt into Refits. I think Starfleet would build most of these upgraded Connies from new and use the unrebuilt ships to replace older classes of cruiser. In my head canon the unrebuilt Constitutions are retired in the 2300's when succeded, ironically enough, by the Refits, which around that time would be displaced from top tier duties by the Excelsior class.

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby Drop_Bear » Thu Apr 21, 2016 12:39 pm

Okay. I don't think I'm going to be able to finish the drawings in a reasonable amount of time. See, I have been absorbed in a worldbuilding exercise for the last week or so and it is very hard to focus on drawings when one's mind is bent on research and inventing a culture for a centauroid species. Anyway, the drawings aren't important. What I have posted suffices for plans and conveys my idea to the forum. I'm going to pull the kits out again sometime in the next week, take a proof-of-start photo and figure out how to proceed with this thing. On paper the parts from the two kits should be interchangeable, but reality is not the same thing as a computer screen.

Before I can build, however, I need to order some styrene and brass and a pin vise. What with budgeting and a camping holiday coming up that will have to wait until early to mid May.

Drop_Bear
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Postby Drop_Bear » Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:37 pm

Hmm. What I said last night doesn't make much sense, does it? What I meant is that I had hoped I would have finished making the drawings by now, but have been distracted. I don't want to wait until I have finished them to start my build and will complete them later. There. That didn't take many words. Were I an Ozite, that rigmarole above could have gotten put me away in Rigmarole Town.

Return to “2016 Group Build (Closed)”