50 x 50 ==> 2500 TOS (pic heavy)

Fan Organized "Just For Fun" Group Build.
MEATLOAFr
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Re: 50 x 50 ==> 2500 (pic heavy)

Post by MEATLOAFr »

slawton wrote:
jkb-1 wrote:
slawton wrote:
I would get the JBOT ones, but it lists 1/2200-1/2500, so I envisioned they were made for the encounter set. Has anyone tried these on the 1/2500 D7s? Not selling?? They were on the list and could be added to the cart.
I just tried again, and I can get it in the cart, but with a red "X" to the left of it, and when I try to check out it returns with a letter of apology for being behind on stock.
(I'd be willing to "take one for the team" to find the size of this decal -- I was going to order it to try to "make it fit" on a non-Klingon Romulans ship. When I had an Encounters kit, I scaled the D-7 as 1/2000 by placing the aft hull part over Jeffries's comparison drawing on the cover of The Star Trek Sketchbook where the 200 foot mak is 1.2 inches long. By similar measurements I put the Johnny Lightning D-7 at either 1/2200 or 1/2300, (I forget) and I think the R2 kit is the same size.)
For those curious about the Romulan D7 decals and whether they will fit on the 1/2500 TOS Cadet Series kits, I recently received an email from Jim Botaitis from JBOT Decals:
My site will be up and running in January. You are welcome to place your order then, using the shopping cart.
Those decals should fit, yes.
how well did the ones I printed for you fit?
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!
Custom Decals, and Vinyl Cutting services available
ABLE TO PRINT DECALS IN WHITE
NOW ABLE TO 3D PRINT SMALL SCALE MODELS (ANYCUBIC PHOTON & MONO X) have STL, will print!!
slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: 50 x 50 ==> 2500 (pic heavy) WITHDRAWN

Post by slawton »

Picture reused from a previous El Gato post...

Against my hopes, this thread (my largest) has been mostly inactive over the last year or so. I'd like to get this restarted and kick off some other projects. To that end, I've resubmitted my previously posted pictures to all the pages of this thread -- curse you photobucket! :evil:

The last count indicated 23 marked complete and 25+ in some state of progress. The marked completed ones may get some touch-ups and upcoming progress (tend to wait for a batch to be completed before posting pictures) on in-work ones. This thread will continue for non-special (not lighted, etc.) 1/2500 kits from the TOS era (or earlier) which should end up numbering at least 50 kits (mostly Federation coming up) before it is done.
D7s_zpskth274qo.png
MEATLOAFr wrote:how well did the ones I printed for you fit?
In the picture above, the 3 Klingon ships to the right have your decals with varying displays of subtlety (excuse my poor photography) - they fit well. There was a Romulan one which I did not finish - I tore/ruined the feather decal along the top front and have not continued. I also haven't yet acquired the 2 other Romulan ones from JBot since the site still does not allow purchases, but I'm hoping to get them as well.
IMG_1122.JPG
IMG_1122.JPG (14.05 KiB) Viewed 4202 times
marcnoonan wrote:If you've also had the Tholians and Auroras printed how did they come out please?
They printed problem-free and I was able to finish 3 (2 of the larger 25m Tholians) as shown as the rightmost 3 in the picture above (excuse my poor photography).

Also, I was thinking about starting up a regular quiz on some random sci-fi vehicle(s) for guesses (should this be via PM until the results are revealed?) on what it is/where it appeared (should they be easy, extremely obscure, somewhere in-between, varies), etc., potentially turning it into a contest (how should points be determined?). When the identity is revealed, we can discuss topics like specifications, capabilities, etc. to build up a potential library with a consensus "best guess" of things like size, etc. It also opens up discussions on the movie/episode, etc. What do you guys think?
I'm a modeler, not a doctor...

Introduction
Galleries: Member, Comparison, Fleet, Action, Manufacturer
slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton »

FYI- I'm shifting to TOS-era mode only and changing my list to include the "Charlie X" remastered Antares / "The Ultimate Computer" remastered automated freighter (newly arrived kit from MVM/Design Anomaly):
Antares.jpg
And "The Way to Eden" remastered Aurora / "Mudd's Women" ship (scratch build which I estimate to be 35-40 m in length base on the scaled drawing):
Aurora.gif
Aurora.gif (56.1 KiB) Viewed 1048 times
The Vulcan Surak Ringship and Andorian Kumari (both from The Delta Quadrant) will be moved to another thread. Near term, I'll need to complete a TOS production Enterprise for my bro...

Introduction
slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton »

24. Constitution

Here's a picture of a basic OOB Enterprise (1/2500 Constitution) on the bottom:
Enterprise.jpg
This is using the original minimal, old decals (with some yellowing) and a spray on gray. I did not sand anything and painted in the windows as they were on the plastic (inaccurate, I know). This is to serve as a baseline - even with all the inaccuracies, I like the way it turned out (still need to do the nacelle endcaps).

In the background is some future builds on the horizon - a Constitution class in duck egg blue, the Constitution in a whiter 1st pilot version and a basic OOB D7.
Last edited by slawton on Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Introduction
slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton »

25. Gorn Ship

Here's a picture of the Gorn ship (Shapeways Crazy Eddies Sci-Fi Emporium) encountered at Cestus III from the TOS episode "Arena" (including remastered screencap and 3D rendition):
gorn.jpg
I got this as a low-resolution print which lacks smoothness and has stair-stepping issues. I used some Klingon D7 and miscellaneous decals (#PNT-4069 2500 Hull Graphics Decals) to spice it up a little. Accents and decals are light to keep the ship's overall gray color as is seen on screen and most depictions. I may add 1/some Gorn logo's sometime in the future. It is curious to me how much the light plays with the gray color in the pictures (see top/bottom versus front/side) - only difference being the angle of the camera,

Here's a comparison shot with the Eaglemoss Gorn ship (it is slightly longer, more-so wider):
Gorn_compare.jpg
There's things I like from both renditions -- I'm a fan of the little deflector dish present on the Crazy Eddie's version (has a more TOS-y feel to me).
Last edited by slawton on Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Introduction
mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Post by mophius »

I do like that Gorn ship, sleek and menacing at the same time.
I need to get some of these in honour of Scotchyn. His adversaries were (pardon the pun) out of this world. The battlecruisers and modular ships are also good.
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.
slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton »

26-30. Klingon D7s (x5)

Here's 5 Klingon more D7 ships from the 1/2500 TOS Cadet Series kit:
D7s.jpg
The left two used a darker gray mixed with Napoleon Violet, an error but it kind of reminded me of an old timey book cover, so the second one was made to resemble that. The first used that dark gray/violet on top and the OOB color for the bottom. A correct gray/violet color is present on the far right one. The rightmost 3 have some Duck Egg Blue with some light blue mixture, light green mixture, gloss green and light ghost gray as other colors.

This rounds out the alien portion of this thread...

Introduction
slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton »

Since I have multiple variants of the same kit and limited shelf space, I've decided to get creative and build a rack for them instead of individual bases. Here's a work-in-progress for the Romulan BoP's:
BirdNest2.jpg
I'm thinking about livening it up a bit, so I was wondering if anyone has created a Romulan plasma torpedo for their models -- if so, how did you make it?
plasma_torpedo.jpg
plasma_torpedo.jpg (63.92 KiB) Viewed 3162 times

Introduction
slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton »

Here's more progress on the bird rack:
BirdRack.jpg
I am using small brass pins to support the ship near the front of the nacelles and at the rear of the body.

Introduction
slawton
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by slawton »

Well RL issues have kept me away from the bench (daughter's car had rust issues, so had to drive her all over the place - finally just got a new car for the wife, gave the kid a hand-me-down). So I got back to this overly complicated stand:
BN_progress.jpg
I decided to make the top resemble the bird logo (from the top as opposed to the underneath painted on the ship) and add a plasma torpedo on the front (unexpectedly makes the overall bottom of the base look like the shape of the D'deridex). I also started the torpedo with a q-tip end glued to a toothpick end to get the basic shape. I'm also going to put on some of the iconic views of the RBoP on the stand.

Introduction

Return to “2016 Group Build (Closed)”