NCC1966 Entry - Pre-TOS Scratch Build - WITHDRAW

Fan Organized "Just For Fun" Group Build.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Re: NCC1966 Entry - Pre-TOS Scratch Build

Post by Moongrim »

NCC1966 wrote:
Julien wrote:Interesting !

Is it something that will be really "pre-tos" and therefore done in a kind of retro TOS look or is it something like between "Enterprise" (the TV show) and TOS ?
My idea is that it look like something around 50 years before the NCC-1701 be launched, so it should have a look more retro than Kirk's ship.

:)
You mean something like this:

There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

Moongrim, yeah sort of but...

... you embarrassed me now because my build is not going to be as nice as this one...

:?
Thanks,

Yan.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

NCC1966 wrote:Moongrim, yeah sort of but...

... you embarrassed me now because my build is not going to be as nice as this one...

My apologies.

But that one is a garage kit. Not at all like what you're going for.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

Moongrim wrote:
NCC1966 wrote:Moongrim, yeah sort of but...

My apologies.

But that one is a garage kit. Not at all like what you're going for.
I am relief!

:mrgreen:
Thanks,

Yan.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

So, let's finally start!

I wanted to have something substantial to show, so here we goes my (not big) progresses. I don't know if I mentioned but since it's my first scratch project I wanted to go with the most recycled everyday objects parts as possible. Because I am going to make a traditional Federation ship nothing more fair than start with the saucer that will be made out of 4 CDs stacked. Automatically it makes the ship in the 1/1000 scale!

My first attempt was to glue a cream-cheese cup cap onto a CD to make the top side of the saucer. Because there was a relief with the factory logo in the cap, I glued a piece of plastic over that and filled the whole thing with Tamiya putty. After I sanded it:

Of course it failed miserably. The soft plastic of the cap didn't glued well to the polycarbonate of the CD, but it wasn't the worse part. The real problem was that I had to use too much putty and being the cap made of soft plastic the putty cracked. So I put it apart to start with a different idea, ending with it:

:(
Thanks,

Yan.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Hmmm... can you get a hold of small frisbees to use as substitutes for the CDs?
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

Since I didn't get too much lucky with the saucer first attempt I put it aside for a little while and moved my focus to the nacelles. They will be made out of a pair of marker pens (white and silver) that I bought on eBay some time ago and never used. So let's give some application to it! First step I disassembled them and made a big mess:

Fortunately it is oil based then a bit of spirit was enough to clean my hands. So here it is the pens after disassembling. I saved the extra parts in my spare parts box and ended with the two tubes. After inspect them I notice a few small smashes (the tubes are aluminum) then I applied some putty and sanded a couple times.

Next I cut the screw tips (no picture, sorry) and glued with epoxy glue two screw caps to the extremity of them:

I bought a bunch of these screw caps a few years ago when I was building my kitchen cabinets...

This is the final nacelle bodies with the caps on place. This will be the back end of them. I will use two other screw caps at the front end but they will be painted in red. The back end ones will be painted in the same grey as the whole nacelle...

Thanks,

Yan.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

Time to get back to the saucer. I decided that it is going to be flat, so let's make it simple. Basically I will start with four CDs glued to each other. Then the top of the saucer will have a dome (the bridge) and at the bottom will have an structure that I decided to be the photon torpedoes launcher. First the top of the saucer with the bridge dome that is a nice part that I borrowed from my wife's coffee machine...

:lol:

A closer view:

Now for the torpedoes launcher I used a shampoo jar cap (already glued to the place). Notice as the hinges look like two torpedoes holes. Hopefully it will look too much better after painting:

Here the cap before to be installed:

And here from where it came:

Thanks,

Yan.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

Finally I started to prepare the pylons. My first idea was to make it out of 3mm MDF and due to the fact that MDF is hard to cut without to spoil the borders I was to my local laser cut service but when I got there the clerk told me that the machine was under repair awaiting for an imported part and there was no time prevision to have it running again.

:(

Then I started to look around and found a CD jewel box that could work for my purposes. So I cut and broke it like an orc. Finally after some sanding I ended with this two little parts:

I used the same epoxy glue to join them together but regardless it is a strong glue I feared that it couldn't resist to all the stress of putty and sanding, so I glued them both to a sheet of plastic from an ice-cream box to give it some strength:

Tomorrow after the glue is well dried I will cut it out from the plastic sheet and will glue another piece of sheet over that virtually eliminating the seam in both sides. If it works I already will have the pylons structure done.

That's it for now!

;)
Thanks,

Yan.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

"Borrowed" from your wife's coffee machine?

I'd imagine that she'll want it back...eventually.

Nice work on the nacelles...
- J.L.Picard.

Return to “2016 Group Build (Closed)”