Bragging Rights Contest 2015 - Eye of Error - Finished

Fan Organized "Just For Fun" Group Build.
The Eye of Error
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Bragging Rights Contest 2015 - Eye of Error - Finished

Post by The Eye of Error »

With so many projects on my bench lately I ended up having a stockpile of bits left over. So I had an idea for a quick fun project that ended up becoming a wee bit more.

I’ve always wanted to make a wrecked starship model, with all the exposed decks and battle damage ever since I saw the battle of Wolf 359. I took what leftover bits I had and put together a refit Dreadnought Class with exposed decks made from various shapes of sheet styrene and brass etched mesh. I used some misc 40k Necron model parts to build up the exposed warp nacelle and deflector dish areas.

I put multiple flickering red and yellow LEDs to simulate fires. The effect is quite stunning.

Check out the video: https://youtu.be/Tdy7pKAq3ZU

Last edited by The Eye of Error on Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Eye of Error
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Re: Bragging Rights Contest 2015 - Eye of Error's Entry

Oh Damn, I forgot we chose Auxiliary Ships..... Back to the drawing board.... :P

For real though, I got all the pars in for my USS Jenolan in 1K scale. I just need to start boring a ton of resin out so I can run wire and LEDs.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

The Eye of Error wrote:Check out the video: https://youtu.be/Tdy7pKAq3ZU
:o
The Eye of Error wrote:Oh Damn, I forgot we chose Auxiliary Ships..... Back to the drawing board.... :P
Heh, you beat me too it. I was going to say that while the light show is stunning and hypnotic, your entry is unauthorized :P

Seriously, beautiful work. I'm trying to steel myself to do a damaged starship. Can't seem to build up the guts
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
RogueWolf
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by RogueWolf »

:drool:

OMFG! That is so cool! I'm so touched that you are building this awesome kit as a gift to me for my birthday.
Check out my NorthTrek Creations kits at:
http://www.mvmodels.biz/northtrek.asp
Valar Morghulis
The Eye of Error
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Well guys now time for me to get down to business with my version of the Kobayashi Maru based on John Eaves sketches below.

I’m going with something closer to the first version using the Enterprise NX Refit as a base kit, mainly for the retro lower hull section. I began to glue and chop accordingly leaving the main pieces.

After the major chopping was done I began to plan out templates for the rear saucer pod which will be shuttle bays and the lower pontoon shaped cargo pods.

Now I need to begin chopping up some sheet styrene. I'll be using the method that I outlined in this tutorial a few years ago. https://eyeoferror.blogspot.com/2013/01/ ... icard.html

Also, I will be lighting this kit up naturally and creating custom aztec decals as well. :D
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

8-)

Hmmmm
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
RogueWolf
Velutinous Vice Admiral
Velutinous Vice Admiral

Post by RogueWolf »

One month to deadline! Any Progress?
Check out my NorthTrek Creations kits at:
http://www.mvmodels.biz/northtrek.asp
Valar Morghulis
The Eye of Error
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Guys, don’t kill me, I’m switching directions once again! Recently when cleaning out my old hobby stuff I stumbled upon awesome 1996 Finescale Modeler article on building a Type 15 Shuttlepod. I just had to build it!

Specifically this shuttle with Geordie in it from The TNG episode "The Minds Eye"

I took the templates from the magazine and scaled them up and modified them for print.

I found a paper model online, but didn't like the overall proportions compared to the Finescale Modeler, but it did have pieces for an interior that I want to build.

From another article online I found great lcars for the control panels.

The original full-scale prop used car seats for the Shuttlepod. I was able to find 1/25 scale mini-van car seats on eBay that I will modify for the pod.

And the last thing I need is a 1/25 scale Geordie. Fortunately, the old Galoob TNG figures are in 1/25 scale. I have and old Geordie figure that I am reposing and detailing to give him a TNG uniform and a fruity cocktail in hand!

The Eye of Error
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

Progress is rapid moving on the Shuttlepod project. Minor SNAFU; I started cutting the template up and realized the pod was too small for the Geordie figure. So I had to scale up to 1/20 scale instead of 1/25 scale.

The exteriors details are coming together.

The interior is almost done. just need a few cushioned wall panels on the doors. The roof will accommodate 2 small white LEDs. I was going to use either EL sheet or LED strips, but I’m trying to keep the power source to a 9v battery and keep it internal.

The seat is almost there. I chopped up and glued the 2 seats together to make 1 lager seat. I started sculpting the head cushion and seam filling. The base is made from bits I had laying around.

The main control console is almost done, need to trim flash and add extra details. I have 2 Lcards panels ready to go for it.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

Beautiful so far
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Return to “2015 Group Build (Closed)”