USS Daran, NCC-3201

WIP, finished kits and other 1/1000 discussion.
Griffworks
Legendary LT Commander
Legendary LT Commander

USS Daran, NCC-3201

Postby Griffworks » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:56 am

This my interpretation / kitbash of the fan based design from Ships of the StarFleet, Vol I. It's very loosely based off the below.

Image from Starship Schematics DataBase.

The base kit is the 1/1000 scale Reliant from around 2, with the split impulse engine and saucer mounted navigational deflector from Federation Models. I chopped the very aft section off of the aft extended hull, cut one other part off, then added the very aft section back on. I also cut off a couple of the detail pieces from the ventral surface, then added them back.

Under construction.

Inspiration on this basic kitbash came from John Payne's build of his Refit Era Dreadnought the USS Belisarius. In that build, John chopped a 1/537-ish Reliant kit up similarly to what I did here, then mounted it as the primary hull. I tried replicating the same for an earlier interpretation of the Daran-class more than 10 years ago, also using a 1/537-ish Reliant.

Some more under construction.

I chose to keep the pylons on their outboard mounting points, as I did on my larger build. I also liked the idea of the extended hull having more of a taper, instead of being flat. I also doubt I'll be adding the landing pads.

Showing the photorp tubes and lower navigational deflector.

On my larger build, I had added photorp pods to the upper hull, which were made using the photorp superstructure from two AMT 1/537-ish Refit kits. This time around, I mounted tubes in the leading edge, as well as those included with the Federation Models split impulse engine piece. I also added the FedMods lower saucer mounted nav deflector, plus their Ascension-class LN-68 nacelles.

Showing her nice looking backside!

More pics can be found here: http://s763.photobucket.com/user/Griffw ... 00%20Scale

Still much work to do!

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Re: USS Daran, NCC-3201

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Fri May 19, 2017 1:33 pm

This looks too cool, Griffworks!

Very nice job! Very clean, too!

Any more pics? You said you did a larger one as well?

Lemme know.

Steve

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby trekriffic » Fri May 19, 2017 3:46 pm

Yes! More pics please! What a great design. Love the split impulse engine and the nav deflector, they really add a lot.

Great work Griff!

:dreadsbanana: :blondebanana: :ninjabanana:
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

Scotchyn
3/4 Highlander, 1/4 Tamale
3/4 Highlander, 1/4 Tamale

Postby Scotchyn » Fri May 19, 2017 9:17 pm

Awesome!!

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Wed May 24, 2017 7:46 pm

Very kewel (I believe that's a Griff-certified word to use)! The stair-step along the sides of the extended hull look very natural. Certainly makes me thing of trying something similar
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Return to “1/1000”