1/1000 USS Ares kit review and build thread

WIP, finished kits and other 1/1000 discussion.
novahobbies
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Re: 1/1000 USS Ares kit review and build thread

Post by novahobbies »

Thanks for the kind words Yan. I'm sorry you're heading out of the hobby, though! There have been a couple times when I've had to take extended breaks as well. But just remember -- it's a hobby. Build.....or don't build....and nobody will judge you by your speed here. TRUST me, I certainly wouldn't. Take a quick look at my threads and you'll see how long I take per model. It would be shameful if I was being paid to do it, but hey....I'm not. So if you're not fully ready to back out of the hobby, just work at YOUR OWN pace and you'll be done when you're done! :D

So anyway, here's the report. After a wonderful talk with Tenacontrols, I decided to pack up the main board and send it back for him to have a look at it and either repair or replace it. Fine gent, Ralph. Obviously I wanted my model to move forward faster, but I'd rather the board be QC'd properly and know it won't break down in a few months when the ship is already sealed up.

In the meantime, I can move forward with smaller things. I put the blue LED in and tested it...
Q7.jpg
Q7.jpg (46.23 KiB) Viewed 1084 times
...then dialed back the brightness by only drilling a small hole through the deflector cap before adding the actual clear deflector. I think it looks much more 'in scale' this way. I'll probably paint the deflector with a very light copper mist, so the blue will still shine through when energized.
Q8.jpg
Q8.jpg (32.16 KiB) Viewed 1084 times
I also installed a 2hz blinking LED inside a plastic tube for my fast-flashing nav lights. The appropriate fibers will be hot glued in place in the other end, and the whole thing will then get light blocked with shrink tube and paint.

And in case anyone wants to know the wire I'm using, here:
Q9.jpg
Q9.jpg (64.92 KiB) Viewed 1084 times
You can find this stuff on Amazon, very inexpensive, and one spool is gonna last you a loooong long time.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

Wow, this is so thrilling! this Ares is getting fantasmidable (fantastic + formidable)!

:mrgreen:
novahobbies wrote:Thanks for the kind words Yan. I'm sorry you're heading out of the hobby, though! There have been a couple times when I've had to take extended breaks as well. But just remember -- it's a hobby. Build.....or don't build....and nobody will judge you by your speed here. TRUST me, I certainly wouldn't. Take a quick look at my threads and you'll see how long I take per model. It would be shameful if I was being paid to do it, but hey....I'm not. So if you're not fully ready to back out of the hobby, just work at YOUR OWN pace and you'll be done when you're done! :D
I hear ya, no worries, I am not frustrated or so with this move. Actually I am relief because I was kind of overwhelmed with it (and with my other current hobby — guitar playing and recording — that I decided to kick away too). I am very realistic about my goals, my needs and my expectations so this is not the first time in my life that I give up about things to open space to others. I think that it's just time to try something different, and as I may mentioned in my thread, more rewarding and less demanding. From times to times I need a personal reboot.

:)

One of the things I have noticed about myself through the years (and specially now that I am more mature) is that I appreciate too much more the results than the process to achieve them. Recently I have recorded two CDs with songs written by me where I play all the instruments and sing (a very old dream!). Although I have had a lot of fun doing it the climax for me was to see the work done and realize that I made that dream come true. But looking back all the learning curve and the energy spent to do that I don't know if I want to do it again (like recording a third or a fourth CD). Don't get me wrong, it was a hell of a great experience but repeat it... hmmmm... guess not.

About modeling itself maybe I just got tired of repeat the experience and want to try something new. Also I think that the point for me was always more to own the miniatures (the result instead the process). However as I aged I lost the necessary psychological equipment (patience). But yes, I still will want to own some of these stuff. Thinking about this I found what I think will be a great solution to satisfy myself: I will get rid of all the modeling stuff (tools, chemicals, etc) and mostly of the models BUT will keep those kits I like more so when I be more lose of money I can hire one of my fellow Brazilian modelers and pay them to build me it. This way I will own the model I want without the hassle of the process. This way I can still keep buying my favorite models. A friend of mine uses to say that buying is the best part of any hobby! I think I fully agree with him anyway!

:lol:
Thanks,

Yan.
novahobbies
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by novahobbies »

I'm bombing this because (1) I need to update the darn photobucket pics, and (2) gonna get back on this kit very soon!
novahobbies
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by novahobbies »

OK, early lost photophucket pictures have been repaired, and looks like I never posted the little video of the first wiring test. So....yeah. Here.
https://youtu.be/WPNKEPrZaFk
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks »

Nicely done review!
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums

Return to “1/1000”