USS Akyazi, NCC-1010

WIP, finished kits and other 1/1000 discussion.
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

USS Akyazi, NCC-1010

Post by Griffworks »

Soon to be released for purchase from UGH! Models is the Akyazi-class Perimeter Action Ship, first seen in Ships of the Star Fleet, Volume Two/Number One, published by MasterCom Data Center in 1992. I purchased this kit as an advanced copy at WonderFest in early June. The kit is 1/1000 scale and my sample came with 14 parts, tho the regular release will come with additional parts to create a deflector spire, per the Akula (NCC-1090) sub-class.

Akyazi001.JPG
Akyazi006.JPG
You get 14 parts - two are included in the pic, tho not immediately visible, are the impulse deck and the aft photorp tube - and a really nice base. The decals are very nicely printed and look great!

Akyazi002.JPG
You get these beautifully printed decals, with names for 4 separate ships.

Akyazi003.JPG
Metal rod was imbedded into the resin parts during the casting process. You'll need Dykes (a wire / rod cutting tool), wire snips from a Gerber or similar multi-tool, and/or hardened steel files to trim the portion that attached to the pylons tons shorter length.

Akyazi005.JPG
The impulse deck.

Akyazi007.JPG
Finished construction.

Akyazi008.JPG
I mis-judged the length of the metal rod on the starboard impulse connecting boom, so have to deal with this.

More to follow....
Last edited by Griffworks on Sun May 27, 2018 10:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: USS Akyazi, NCC-1010

Post by Griffworks »

Continuing on!
Akyazi004.JPG
I drilled out areas for the mounting of each of the impulse booms to the main hull. You can also see the two docking ports here. I intend to include a shuttle at the lower of the two dock ports.

Akyazi009.JPG
Mounted on her stand.

Akyazi010.JPG
No, the nacelles are NOT warped. Just an artifact of using my cell phone to take the pic.

Akyazi011.JPG
Akyazi012.JPG
Akyazi014.JPG
All ready for another bath, then time to start the layers of putty and primer!

More later.
Last edited by Griffworks on Sun May 27, 2018 10:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
“And I looked, and behold a pale horse; and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.“

My Flickr Albums
Tesral
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Tesral »

Nicely cast little ship. I have that particular book in the collection.

Personally I would have move the stand post to the impulse deck. It really stretches out.
Garry AKA --Phoenix-- Rising above the Flames.
"I saw it done on Voyager" is no excuse for anything, even breathing.
mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Post by mophius »

Aye, does look like it is back heavy
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks »

Yeah, I'm not really happy with it now. I put it where I did so as not to block the aft photorp tube, and I didn't want to mount it into the aft tube piece so as not to lose any detail there. I really didn't want to put it in the impulse deck because the weight of the saucer is much more than the whole aft assembly, so I'm a bit worried about future droopage.

Akyazi015.JPG
Akyazi016.JPG
So, it's fixed! I'll fill the original mounting hole and make it all purty before priming.

Appreciate ya'll's input!
Last edited by Griffworks on Sun May 27, 2018 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My Flickr Albums
mophius
Crafty Captain
Crafty Captain

Post by mophius »

It seems to be sitting easier now.
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks »

Part of that angle may have been from my having drilled the original hole at a slight angle. I had hand drilled it, so that seems a likely culprit....

My Flickr Albums
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks »

For those who haven't heard, UGH! Models has several of these kits that they're offering for USD$55 - MSRP will be $65. Go to the page to use their email contact info.

My Flickr Albums
Griffworks
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Post by Griffworks »

The first Akyazi that I purchased from UGH! Models was at WonderFest 2017 and wasn't 100% complete. In fact, there was no box, directions or decals - tho I eventually got all of that. The only parts of the kit itself which were missing was the two parts for the conversion to the Akula version with the deflector spite thing that is on the central side of the ship. Plus, the warp nacelle pylons didn't have the piano wire to keep them rigid. I later purchased a set from UGH! and then retroactively applied them.
Akyazi017.JPG
Akyazi018.JPG
Akyazi019.JPG
Bonus pics with USS Potemkin, NCC-1711 - mostly to show size comparisons of the ships, and specifically the nacelles.

I plan to attempt to mold the bridge at some point in the not-too-distant future. Plus, I intend to clean up the hull a bit with wet-sanding, re-prime the hull, then give her a base coat. I can't quite decide on standard StarFleet Matte White TS-27, or go with a black metallic and work from there...?

Hmmmm....

My Flickr Albums

Return to “1/1000”