L-18 Kang-class Attack Frigate

WIP, finished kits and other 1/1000 discussion.
Griffworks
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

L-18 Kang-class Attack Frigate

Postby Griffworks » Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:20 am

This is my 1k version of the Kang-class frigate, an original design that I came up with more than 20 years ago. I'm using a 1/1000 D-4 command section mounted on a 1/2500 Vor'cha. I need to try my hand at casting some K'T'Inga nacelles to add here. Plus, I want to add the hangar deck section from a D-7.

IMG_2042.JPG

I started stripping the paint using Easy-Off Oven Cleaner, Fume Free (which isn't entirely true!). This was the first batch of the stuff.

IMG_2043.JPG

Second run of the stuff! I think that it took me four dousings of the stuff. And I still couldn't get it all off.

IMG_2374.JPG

Getting closer!

IMG_2775.JPG

IMG_2776.JPG

IMG_2777.JPG

And more to come!
Attachments
IMG_2774.JPG
IMG_2773.JPG
IMG_2746.JPG
Last edited by Griffworks on Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:54 am, edited 2 times in total.

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Re: Kang-class Attack Frigate

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:34 pm

Looking good, Griffworks!

The texture and design will make for a visually interesting model! Well played!

I'd be interested to see how you intend to cast the nacelles. If you wouldn't mind a mini-tutorial about it, I would love to see it!

Press on! Looking forward to seeing this one done! :)

Steve

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:24 pm

:thinking: Hmmm... this design looks familiar ;) Does Crazy Eddie have 1K nacelles available already?
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Griffworks
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby Griffworks » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:13 am

el gato wrote::thinking: Hmmm... this design looks familiar ;) Does Crazy Eddie have 1K nacelles available already?

Sorry, missed this previously! They've got a dual set and single fairly large nacelles right now. They're Klingon nacelles and roughly 5" long.

Single nacelle: https://www.shapeways.com/product/E2ZM7CQS5/kwf-1-1000-scale?optionId=63091764&li=user-wishlist

Tandem set: https://www.shapeways.com/product/2ZVY3UY6H/kwf-2-1000-tandem?optionId=63091793&li=user-wishlist

Will update in the next day or three.

Griffworks
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Re: L-18 Kang-class Attack Frigate

Postby Griffworks » Fri Nov 10, 2017 2:01 am

Updated info and pics.

This is my 1k version of the Kang-class frigate, an original design that I came up with more than 20 years ago. I'm using a 1/1000 D-4 command section mounted on a 1/2500 Vor'cha that had previously been assembled and painted. I had intended to try my hand at casting some K'T'Inga nacelles to add on here, as well as I wanted to add the hangar deck section from a K'T'Inga. Well, I ended up doing a modified version of that plan - I used modified D-4 nacelles and a hangar section from one of the spare K'T'Inga's that I have.

I modified the D-4 nacelles from an UGH! Models kit by removing the last half inch of solid piece at the rear of each nacelle, then removed roughly the last remaining half inch off that, leveling off the "vanes", which normally taper somewhat. I then sanded everything to shape before adding the last section back on. I never liked that cutout in the nacelles, anyhow, and this also makes the length work out better in relation to the overall ships proportions.

I then added some photorp pods from UGH! Models Capella Pod/Nacelle Pack from UGH! Models:

https://www.fpkclub.com/ugh-models/?pag ... ber=UGH057

I used Model Master SAC Bomber Green 1933 for the base coat.

IMG_2911.JPG

I tacked on this K'T'Inga nacelle with just enough CA to hold it in place. I decided that it was definitely oversized for what I was wanting to go with.

IMG_3327.JPG

D-4 nacelles show the straight nacelle above and a cutdown nacelle below.

IMG_3329.JPG

Getting a feel for the nacelles. I didn't like the outboard angle, so popped them off and repositioned them to an inboard angle.

IMG_3330.JPG

Showing the added Capella pods from UGH! Models. Note the nacelles are still in an outboard position.

IMG_3471.JPG

The repositioned nacelles, now with an inboard slant. Also note the single disruptor mount just aft of the command pod. This is to help provide both dorsal, outboard, and aft coverage.

IMG_3473.JPG

The D-7 hangar deck eventually is replaced with one from an extra K'T'Inga kit that I had.

IMG_3474.JPG

I started trying to fill in that weird "cutout" on either side of the command bulb. I didn't fill it all the way, just turned it into more of a panel line. I also added another disruptor mount to cover the ventral, outboard and aft areas.

IMG_3480.JPG

IMG_3481.JPG

IMG_3482.JPG

IMG_3483.JPG

All primed up. And no, that's not base he ended up on.

IMG_3689.JPG

I added the K'T'Inga hangar deck section here. I need to go back and clean up that gap area, fill it in and maybe add some panels. Also, he's in his base coat color of Model Master rattlecan 1933 SAC Bomber Green.

IMG_3690.JPG

The business end.

IMG_3691.JPG

Dorsal view.

More to eventually follow.

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Re: L-18 Kang-class Attack Frigate

Postby el gato » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:51 pm

I like all of the mods you made to the "recylced" parts to achieve this. The D4 nacelle is inspired (I hate that gap on it and the D5's nacelles too)
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

Return to “1/1000”