1/1400 Galaxy Quest N.S.E.A. Protector Spaceship - Pegasus Hobby

WiP, finished models and general 1/1400 chit chat.
novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Re: 1/1400 Galaxy Quest N.S.E.A. Protector Spaceship - Pegasus Hobby

Postby novahobbies » Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:51 pm

Funny you mention the Enterprise C. I just managed to grab a clear Yamaguchi on eBay earlier this week. I have one that's decent, but (1) I accidentally damaged it one day by leaving a lit tealight candle too close to it (Martian heat ray was very effective on the primary hull) and (2) I'd like to think my painting skills are at least a little better now....my lighting skills certainly are. So I'm going to scavenge parts from the old and new kits to make a better 1/1400 E-C, and as for the rest, who knows?? Maybe I'll try a Apollo class of my own!

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby trekriffic » Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:19 pm

novahobbies wrote:Funny you mention the Enterprise C. I just managed to grab a clear Yamaguchi on eBay earlier this week. I have one that's decent, but (1) I accidentally damaged it one day by leaving a lit tealight candle too close to it (Martian heat ray was very effective on the primary hull) and (2) I'd like to think my painting skills are at least a little better now....my lighting skills certainly are. So I'm going to scavenge parts from the old and new kits to make a better 1/1400 E-C, and as for the rest, who knows?? Maybe I'll try a Apollo class of my own!

Ahhhhh.... the clear Yamaguchi kit. That clear plastic was a real biotch to work with. Kept chipping every time I accidentally banged the saucer rim against the workbench working on the windows. Ughhh... Still, it made for a nice looking ship with all the lights when I finished her. I christened mine the USS Excalibur...

Warp Nine Plus.jpg
Warp Nine Plus.jpg (93.8 KiB) Viewed 431 times
Last edited by trekriffic on Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

TrekMD
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby TrekMD » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:51 pm

Very nice!
Medicus ad astra, non laedant...

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:45 pm

Hey, Ya'll!

novahobbies wrote:Funny you mention the Enterprise C. I just managed to grab a clear Yamaguchi on eBay earlier this week. I have one that's decent, but (1) I accidentally damaged it one day by leaving a lit tealight candle too close to it (Martian heat ray was very effective on the primary hull) and (2) I'd like to think my painting skills are at least a little better now....my lighting skills certainly are. So I'm going to scavenge parts from the old and new kits to make a better 1/1400 E-C, and as for the rest, who knows?? Maybe I'll try a Apollo class of my own!

Novahobbies, sorry to hear about the Martian heat ray incident! MaTai Shang must have been testing out the 9th Ray device again! (Kudos if you get the reference!) OR it could have been Ming the Merciless; but I think Mongo is a bit too far away for that! Or Doctor Chaotica! Hummm...

trekriffic wrote:Ahhhhh.... the clear Yamaguchi kit. That clear plastic was a real biotch to work with. Kept chipping every time i accidentally banged the saucer rim against the workbench working on the windows. Ughhh... Still, it made for a ncie looking ship with all the lights when I finished her. I christened mine the USS Excalibur...

Trekriffic, I have browsed your USS Excalibur gallery and prefer your paint scheme over the Easter Egg paint scheme I see on many Ent-C's. When I get a round tuit, I will make mine with similar colors. I already have the DLM parts for it so it may be soon...if I can ever get the Protector done!

@TrekMD - Thanks, Doc! Appreciate the support!

I'm beginning to think I will have to paint the aztecing in stages/phases/multiple sessions as the wings and the dorsal of the Primary hull have patterns on them rather than lines and squares. I will have to mask off those sections, paint the masked sections and then remove the, for the lack of better terminology, "block out masking" and use the templates I have made to aztec the wings and primary hull.

THEN I can start adding the grey back to the ship - which will be another masking headache!

Oi Yey!

Thanks again for looking and commenting! Both are appreciated!

Steve

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby novahobbies » Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:31 pm

Ma Tai Shanng may have done it, but I suspect it was the bride of Chaotica, not the doctor himself. After all, her ship was MIGHTY close to the scene of the crime at the time.

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:19 pm

novahobbies wrote:Ma Tai Shanng may have done it, but I suspect it was the bride of Chaotica, not the doctor himself. After all, her ship was MIGHTY close to the scene of the crime at the time.

:lol: :lol:

novahobbies
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby novahobbies » Sat Aug 12, 2017 2:19 pm

Arg. My luck continues, I got the Ambassador class model and it has two of the IDENTICAL sides for the secondary hull. Now I need to go track down another E-C just for a secondary hull part. I put in an add on the classifieds here, too, just in case.

But enough dithering about off-topic ships. How is the masking going? I'm super excited to see how this is turning out.....

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:34 pm

Hey Everybody!

novahobbies wrote:But enough dithering about off-topic ships. How is the masking going? I'm super excited to see how this is turning out.....

Novahobbies – after reading your’s and other’s woes about the Ent-C secondary hull, I think I’d better go check mine! :D

The masking is still going. I covered some of the major areas – the upper dorsal hull and the wings. I have, or will have, templates for these areas so they will have to be painted in the next “phase” of painting. But here are some progress shots.

Image20170821_144513

Image20170822_061924

Looking at these shots now, I see I will have to do a bit of clean up on the upper dorsal. The seam/line there should be a little more evenly spaced so; a minor fix.

Was busy this last weekend and didn’t get a lot done and, even if I do get all the first round masking in place, the Gulf is prepping for a major storm that may keep me from painting this weekend, too.

Ah. C'est la vie!

Stay tuned to this channel for more exciting updates! ;)

Steve

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:02 pm

Hey everybody!

Apologies for taking so long between posts. I was kinda hunkered down for an epic storm. You may have read sumpthin sumpthin about it. Harvey?! :D

I and mine are fine and we did not sustain any damage - other than frayed nerves. Others within a couple of miles were flooded out and one neighborhood also dealt with a Tornado. Many others have been displaced and are in need of assistance. But we are okay.

Be mindful of those in the Caribbean who are in the path of Irma. She is looking to make a statement. :shock:

This weekend I was able to finalized the masking (at least for Phase 1 of the painting). The Port vental of the engine pod was the last. Here is a shot.

Image20170902_163400

I used my airbrush and used Pearlized White from Cereatex to spray on a couple of coats. I wanted it to be understated in the final appearance, but took the following pictures with sunlight and reflection to show the paint.
Image20170904_084223

This was my first reveal of all the hard work I had put in on the masking since mid June!! As I started to peel off the bigger section, I got more excited and started to tell the Spousal Unit "This is gonna be AWESOME!"
Image20170904_092619

I started with Port Side Panel and the bigger sections as I figured if is looked bad, those sections would be easier to cover up again and repaint.
Image20170904_093102

Here is the Port Detail on the ventral wing. I did not have time yesterday to peel the rest of it off as I had to go see the kids. But more reveal is on the way!
Image20170904_095135

I think I will let this cure for a while before I attempt Phase 2 masking.

I think I should be a coat or two of future on the paint to protect and seal the ship so far. I do have to paint the grey and dark grey areas, too.

What do you all think? Seal with future or no?

Lemme know what you think and, as always, thanks for any comments and tips for improvement! And thanks for reading.

Never give up! No matter how long it takes to mask it out!

Steve

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby trekriffic » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:13 pm

Looking nice! Is the pearl white an acrylic? If so, I'd definitely seal with a clearcoat like Future. Enamels and lacquers adhere better so shouldn't need to seal before overmasking but, still, it wouldn't hurt as a precaution. You could also strop the sticky side of the tape against your pant leg before applying it. Just to take some of the stickiness away.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

Return to “1/1400”