Starcrafts D'kyr class Vulcan ringship (COMPLETED!)

WiP, finished models and general 1/1400 chit chat.
novahobbies
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Re: Starcrafts D'kyr class Vulcan ringship

Post by novahobbies »

slawton wrote:
novahobbies wrote:Real time modeling posts going on here. This is all I have left. Is it just me, or does this look like some sort of crazy Jackal skull to anyone else?
20160704_135759-1.jpg
Yes, the mind plays tricks -- hence the ink blot test. Where does this part fit on the ship - I don't see where it goes?

Nice job on the model. What colors did you use and how did you do the blue interior rectangles on the ring?
That was a small portion of decal 4...it's the middle nose section of the top hull. As for the painting methods, take a look at page 1 for pictures of the ring. The blues were airbrused after lots of masking. :-) The base coat is just Red Oxide primer! I really liked the way it looked coupled with a ruby red wash.

I'm at the hospital with bride right now, taking care of sick wife. But when I get home tonight I'm going to break out the brush and start re-learning how to paint the space scene I want on the stand.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

novahobbies wrote:End of the night. Got the engine ring back on, the impulse engine painted, and a few other housekeeping things done. Still waiting for the lower headlight blisters to dry, so they're not attached yet. But here's some almost-done shots.
Great job, novahobbies! It looks great!
Starcraft Models wrote:Hi Guys,
It's been awhile since I posted here. I'm happy to either scale down my decals or send my file to Jeff to produce. Jeff's a great guy and we work great together.
:dancingbanana: Great news!
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
novahobbies
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by novahobbies »

Just ordered some 3mm deep blue LEDs which will be here Thursday, and some 3mm 'UV" LEDs that will be here next week. I don't know which ones I want to use to illuminate the model, but I'm leaning towards the UV bulbs. I'm hoping it will make the ring really pop. I'm not sure though, since the UV bulbs are BARELY in the ctual UV spectrum - they're rated for 395 to 405 nanometers, and near-UV (the kind that many animals can still see) starts at 400nm and goes down from there. It's hard to find 380nm UV leds in the 3mm size though, so.....we'll see.

Since it took longer at the hospital than I'd hoped, I don't know how much painting work I'll get done tonight. Hopefully a little. It's been a long time since I played with outer space scenes with my airbrush.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

It's fantastic. The variation on the brown tones makes it look like as it would made out of wood!

:shock:

Seriously, I don't think that it need any lighting. It's clear and dark at the same time as it is.

:)
Thanks,

Yan.
novahobbies
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by novahobbies »

Thanks for the kind words! The lighting will be supplemental, located in the stand only. I have some ideas I'm using that I'll save for the final reveal, but.....
20160707_195721.jpg
Look at this. This is what I mean about fluorescent paint under actinic lighting. This is the blue led. Please excuse the poor photo quality, this is just a test.
Moongrim
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by Moongrim »

novahobbies wrote:Thanks for the kind words! The lighting will be supplemental, located in the stand only. I have some ideas I'm using that I'll save for the final reveal, but.....

20160707_195721.jpg

Look at this. This is what I mean about fluorescent paint under actinic lighting. This is the blue led. Please excuse the poor photo quality, this is just a test.
Quite a nice test.

Intriguing.
There are Times, Sir, when men of good Conscience cannot blindly follow orders. You acknowledge their sentience, but ignore their personal liberties and freedoms. Order a man to hand over his child to the state? Not while I"m captain.
- J.L.Picard.
NCC1966
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by NCC1966 »

Looks great! When I mentioned "no lights" I meant no navigation or window lights. But in the engine it looks really good.

:)
Thanks,

Yan.
el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Post by el gato »

novahobbies wrote:Thanks for the kind words! The lighting will be supplemental, located in the stand only. I have some ideas I'm using that I'll save for the final reveal, but.....

WHOA!!
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.
novahobbies
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by novahobbies »

This is why we practice. First nebula test, after maybe 6 months of no airbrushing.
20160710_181820-1.jpg
.......meh. :roll:

The next one will (hopefully) be better. I had a bitch of a time this go-round with airbrush performance. Remembered that I need to unscrew the paint cap nozzle just a tiny bit.....AFTER this was done. Also want to try thinning with isopropyl instead of windshield fluid.
novahobbies
Crafty Commodore
Crafty Commodore

Post by novahobbies »

Some acrylic thin great with iso.....and some thin great with windex. And it seems naer the two shall meet. Interesting. However, I think attempt #2 is better. Attempt #3 will have to be on a smooth glossy surface though......because reasons.
20160710_195349-1-1.jpg

Return to “1/1400”