1/1400 Galaxy Quest N.S.E.A. Protector Spaceship - Pegasus Hobby

WiP, finished models and general 1/1400 chit chat.
MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Re: 1/1400 Galaxy Quest N.S.E.A. Protector Spaceship - Pegasus Hobby

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:58 pm

trekriffic wrote:Looking nice! Is the pearl white an acrylic? If so, I'd definitely seal with a clearcoat like Future. Enamels and lacquers adhere better so shouldn't need to seal before overmasking but, still, it wouldn't hurt as a precaution. You could also strop the sticky side of the tape against your pant leg before applying it. Just to take some of the stickiness away.

Yes, the Createx Airbrush Colors 5310 Pearl White is an acrylic. However, the Krylon rattlecan Primer and the Krylon Flat White paint are enamels. Seeing as they were applied on 3 Jun 2017, they should both be fully cured. But having now realized the dissimilar paints, I will have to be extra careful in my handling of the model, and the required touchups, before I can apply a seal of Future (acrylic) over the model.

*sigh* :roll:

Also, thanks for the words and the technique tip!

Steve

mophius
Can-Do Captain
Can-Do Captain

Postby mophius » Tue Sep 05, 2017 9:01 pm

Looks good so far Steve.

Keep the updates coming.
There is no dark side of the moon really, matter of fact its all dark.

Imgur

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:10 pm

Good Day, Fellow Questarians!

I hope you had a safe a productive weekend!

mophius wrote:Looks good so far Steve.

Keep the updates coming.

Thanks, morphius! :D

trekriffic wrote: I'd definitely seal with a clearcoat like Future. Enamels and lacquers adhere better so shouldn't need to seal before overmasking but, still, it wouldn't hurt as a precaution.

Yeah, I went ahead an took your advice, trekriffic, and sealed the pearlized paint with Future and let it sit for 72 hours or so. Here are a couple of shots.

Image20170915_141054

Image20170915_141027

Some commenters on another site said they liked the contrast of the flat white against the pearlized paint, but the on screen it seems to have a sheen over the whole ship. So, I am going with that look. Plus, it keeps my grubby paw prints from getting onto the paint.

I used some the templates I had previously made to paint the dorsal portion of the port wing. For the most part it worked well! The ventral is still problematic. I have to cut another wedge shaped template as a whole section template would not fit well enough. As it is, I will still have some touch ups to do with the flat white. There may even be more mask cutting in my future. :cry: :roll:

Image20170917_150417

Once I get the wings done, I will start on the dorsal of the Primary hull, but I still have to cut a template for that, too! :|

As always, thanks for looking in and following along! Any and all comments are appreciated! ;) :D

Never Give Up!

Steve

MEATLOAFr
Rampaging Rear Admiral (LH)
Rampaging Rear Admiral (LH)

Postby MEATLOAFr » Wed Sep 20, 2017 2:17 am

MSgtUSAFRet wrote:
Once I get the wings done, I will start on the dorsal of the Primary hull, but I still have to cut a template for that, too! :|

As always, thanks for looking in and following along! Any and all comments are appreciated! ;) :D

Never Give Up!

Steve

psst... i just got a vinyl cutter last week -- if you need any cut
If the world ends tomorrow, it's ALL YOUR FAULT!!!

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Wed Sep 20, 2017 1:42 pm

MEATLOAFr wrote:
MSgtUSAFRet wrote:

Never Give Up!

Steve

psst... i just got a vinyl cutter last week -- if you need any cut

Okay, what do you need from me and who do I have to kill?! :lol: :lol: JK!

But seriously, if you are offering what I think you are offering, what do you need from me? I appreciate the assistance and the offer.

Lemme know!

Steve

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Wed Sep 20, 2017 7:35 pm

MSgtUSAFRet wrote:Good Day, Fellow Questarians!

I hope you had a safe a productive weekend!

mophius wrote:Looks good so far Steve.

Keep the updates coming.

Thanks, morphius! :D

trekriffic wrote: I'd definitely seal with a clearcoat like Future. Enamels and lacquers adhere better so shouldn't need to seal before overmasking but, still, it wouldn't hurt as a precaution.

Yeah, I went ahead an took your advice, trekriffic, and sealed the pearlized paint with Future and let it sit for 72 hours or so. Here are a couple of shots.

Image20170915_141054

Image20170915_141027

Some commenters on another site said they liked the contrast of the flat white against the pearlized paint, but the on screen it seems to have a sheen over the whole ship. So, I am going with that look. Plus, it keeps my grubby paw prints from getting onto the paint.

I used some the templates I had previously made to paint the dorsal portion of the port wing. For the most part it worked well! The ventral is still problematic. I have to cut another wedge shaped template as a whole section template would not fit well enough. As it is, I will still have some touch ups to do with the flat white. There may even be more mask cutting in my future. :cry: :roll:

Image20170917_150417

Never Give Up!

Steve

I'll say it again :bow:
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

trekriffic
Can-Do Captain (CW)
Can-Do Captain (CW)

Postby trekriffic » Wed Sep 20, 2017 10:27 pm

I think this may be the best build of this kit ever.
"You broke your little ships."

My albums on flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29607470@N08/sets/

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Thu Sep 21, 2017 1:14 pm

el gato wrote:I'll say it again :bow:

trekriffic wrote:I think this may be the best build of this kit ever.

High Praise from the Masters! I am, indeed, honored and feel unworthy to be in so great a company!

Thanks abunch! It is reinforcements like this that help me continue on my builds!

Never Surrender!

Steve

el gato
Fatidical Fleet Admiral
Fatidical Fleet Admiral

Postby el gato » Thu Sep 21, 2017 3:09 pm

Steve, what you're doing here, there are no words. Trekriffic is not engaging in hyperbole. This is hands down the most awesome Protector build I've ever seen. And it's not even finished yet!
RogueWolf wrote:I've sacrificed many dozens (maybe even hundreds) of gummy bears to the dark modeling gods to grant me my wish... but I fear my offerings only amuse them, not appease them.

MSgtUSAFRet
Charismatic Commander
Charismatic Commander

Postby MSgtUSAFRet » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:11 pm

el gato wrote:Steve, what you're doing here, there are no words. Trekriffic is not engaging in hyperbole. This is hands down the most awesome Protector build I've ever seen. And it's not even finished yet!

El Gato, thank you for taking the time let me know! It is truly appreciated!

I took them as they were meant - sincerely and honestly. After following so many great builds and seeing so many works of art here, I sometimes still feel like a newbie (this one is only my fourth build) and I really enjoy the interaction and have learned so much here! Nor did I mean to make light of your offered comments. I truly, gratefully appreciate each of them!

Again, Thank you for the clarifications.

I look forward to hearing your and others comments!

Steve

Return to “1/1400”